Week 21 - Where Now For Britain?

Andy

Be excellent to go to Fort William twice in one year :)

I cant reply to that proposal in the words of my choice as Andy would pull the post.

in the late 80's the E&DMC did run a world round in Fort William and a few weeks later then ran the SSDT - to say it was hard work was an understatement - it was the first year that i got involved in the club and wondered what i was doing!

however things have changed so much now putting on a WTC now must be a full time job.

however

when you consider the equivalent in the mountain bike world, a WTC is small fry.

This year the Mountain bike world championships hit Fort William

800 Competitors from 40 countries

25,000+ Visitors

Tech and Expo area 100+ companies

TV coverage global programming including live broadcast

estimated cost to stage

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i come at the from a very different perspective

i for my sins am very involved in organising a round of the British MX champs

we get (press claims) 10,000 punters, and have several large paddocks (lots of arctics), etc and we have put water and electric on site, tarmac roads, etc, etc

the problem is that you would some very natural terrain for running a top level trials (we haven't got that), and it would take years for us to build them (and is that the point)

as rappers points out you either take the trial to the perfect natural terrain or create the section where you have infrastructure

in past comments from L&M they have made the observation they wouldn't get enough punters south of Birmingham (interesting take on it IMHO)

it strikes me as a real shame that event like the British trials championship aren't enough of a cash cow to be creating a group of clubs who are able to invest in venues to get them to this standard

from my sometimes ruthless mercenary viewpoint i don't see any money in trials (see my theory on finances and motorsport elsewhere) to make it pay (ie break even).

a tough question, one to which i don't see an answer

hard one to call where to go from here

as stated L and M have done an excellent job over the past couple of years

but have a thought about this

over here in Northern Ireland we ran an excellent world trial for years at Clandeboye just outside Bangor

okay it always seemed to rain and the sections were usually big mucky affairs but that only added to the show and probably helped UK based riders as it was well known terrain

but after loosing the status of world round having actually moved the trial to different locations all over Ireland the courageous step was taken to hold the trial at Bangor town and use the seafront and surrounding terrain

what made this so good for spectators was that you could walk down the paths in shoes or trainers and get very close to the action yet still have the comfort of going into town for something to eat or see when the trial was over

it must be a good package as i see we are getting another WTC next year

surely there must be hundreds of similar places across the UK mainland where a similar thing could be tried out

although maybe its nostalgia but as good as Bangor is nothing beat seeing the likes of Lampkin, Vesty, Rathmell, Andrews, Reynolds and al the other top riders from UK locking horns with Tarres, Lejuene, Michaud etc in the muck and mire of Clandeboye especially when the continentals hated getting dirty so much

I went to Bangor the last time it was held there. In fact that was my first world round. As you say, it was a great venue. I believe issues arose around the youth riders though as the event involved some road work?

The WTC Round in Bangor appears to be well supported by the County Down Local Authority and Tourist Board. If we are lucky enough to find a similar venue on the British mainland will we be doubly lucky to find a local authority willing to not just allow the round to take place but to actively support and encourage it? Me thinks not.

Question! How many people really want a WTC in the UK? I get the feeling from a few people I have spoken with that because it is so far removed from what they do, it has no relevance so therefore there is little interest.. and then I thought, well there were quite a few people there last year so some people must think its relevant and not many people I know can ride like they do! <_<

but.. where theres a will, theres a way and all that.... L+M have done it so if could be done again!

Question! How many people really want a WTC in the UK? I get the feeling from a few people I have spoken with that because it is so far removed from what they do, it has no relevance so therefore there is little interest.. and then I thought, well there were quite a few people there last year so some people must think its relevant and not many people I know can ride like they do! <_<

but.. where theres a will, theres a way and all that.... L+M have done it so if could be done again!

As you said in your post 'few people'. It is so very far removed from the sport of trials that I do and thats why I want to see the top riders in action. I don't go to watch premiership football because its the same standard as the lads in the park. You go to see the elite.

There were organisers pre L & M and they will be organisers post L & M. There has to be.

Have L&M actually said "That's it, no more organising UK world rounds!"

From a press release in March

"The weekend of 28/29 July 2007 will see L+M Events fulfil their three-year agreement with the FIM. Both Lampkin and Miller have stated, that having reached the end of their current contract with the World governing body, that they have no intention of running another World championship outdoor trial until at least 2010. This has been confirmed with the recently released 2008 official sporting calendar revealing that there will be no World round on the UK mainland next season."

Have L&M actually said "That's it, no more organising UK world rounds!"

they have no intention of running another World championship outdoor trial until at least 2010

Idle buggers! <_<

What about S.Wales? Merthyr MCC held a WTC in '91. Again great venue, natural sections (quarry, rocky hills, water sections etc. ) The only problem now as stated before is there's some road work to be done from the pits to sections :D But surely there must somewhere around there for the parc ferme to be closer to the sections (only problem then is they'd be a fair ways out of the town). <_<

This is starting to look like L+M not wanting to lose money and who could blame them for thinking that way.

With our only rider in the top five probaly in his last year of WTC what would be the point of us holding one,so if it's true there not looking until 2010 to put another one on there probaly hoping one of our young hopefull's will be in the top five in that time.

They need max number's walking through the door to make it pay,won't they?

2008 in Northern Ireland and L & M's statement that they won't run an event until at least 2010 means that 2009 is currently the one year when an alternative to L & M needs to be found, as well as an alternative to Hawkstone. The organisational skills and the demand for an event is out there, we need a club willing to put in on.

Just a couple of points from whats been said above.

what exactly is the requirement for electricity ?

the motorhomes in ths ssdt parc ferme seem to survive the week on generators so why do they need mains supplied electricty for a weekend ?

Cota Kids comments on Local Authority support being unlikely, the Weston Beach race gets Local Authority support as does the Southport one I believe so why would a Local Authority not support a WTC round ?

Theres a comment attributed to Jake Miller about a round not being viable south of Birmingham ? why not ? the rounds staged in Wales were succesful as I remember as was the one staged on the south Coast at Petersfield in the late 80's.

A number of Brits are prepared to travel across Europe to watch, including me and I'd think nothing of travelling past Birmingham.