Help! My Lawn Mower Is Broke.

sam

This means less time for practicing moto-trials intill its fixed!

16.0 OVS vertical Briggs engine.

Symptoms: Ran out of gas, chug, chug, chug. Filled tank, but would not start, opened air box, she slightly back fired a few times.

Pulled carb and cleaned well, still will not start, open rocker cover and noticed top rocker very loose, inspected push rod and looks good, tighten rocker up.

Now, starts right up, but top rocker arm will not tighten to eqaul tension as lower rocker, much play but starts well, makes much tap noise.

So, is it a broken valve? What should I do next?

shercosam

Edited by Sam

This means less time for practicing moto-trials intill its fixed!

16.0 OVS vertical Briggs engine.

Symptoms: Ran out of gas, chug, chug, chug. Filled tank, but would not start, opened air box, she slightly back fired a few times.

Pulled carb and cleaned well, still will not start, open rocker cover and noticed top rocker very loose, inspected push rod and looks good, tighten rocker up.

Now, starts right up, but top rocker arm will not tighten to eqaul tension as lower rocker, much play but starts well, makes much tap noise.

So, is it a broken valve? What should I do next?

shercosam

throw it in the skip and buy a honda mower

Not funny at all, I happend to be bald and I'm very sensitive about hairdryers! ;)

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the comment about hairdryers, meaning the modern day mower can be as complicated to work on as a hairdryer!

Edited by Sam

Hi Brian,

This engine has one cylinder with overhead valves, two rocker arms, engine sets vertical, top rocker arm was loose, So I tightend. Engine starts no problem but the rocker arm can not be adjusted enough to remove noise. Inspected push rod and it looks good, so why can I not take more slack out of rocker arm. Valve seems OK, motor start runs good, If valve is damaged it would not run properly, right?

This would be related to flywheel key?

Edited by Sam

With my limited knowledge of 4 stroke engines, I burned an exhaust valve on my 250 ninja, it no run at all, had a small chunk out of valve.

This may be a dumb question: but is the other rocker arm loose enough to cause noise?

Is the noise like a ticky ticky ticky noise?

Sam, have you blown a seal-------lately?

If for some reason it got too hot(lean), it may have dropped a valve seat in the thing, or you could have a flat cam causing the excess clearance! My guess the valve seat! Pull the head!

Cheers,

MC

Sam, have you blown a seal-------lately?

This penguin's driving through the desert. It's really hot and he's suffering. Suddenly the car develops an odd misfire. He nurses the car to the nearest town and service station. He explains the problem to the mechanic who tells him to come back in an hour.

We walks (waddles?) down the road to the nearest 7-11. When inside he spies the ice-cream fridge into which he throws himself with abandon and gorges himself with ice-cream. Eventually, his face covered in ice cream he returns to the service station. The mechanic looks at him and says "looks like you've blown a seal". Defensively he replies "no!".

Problem Solved! ;)

Mower runs out of gas, during the time trying to start I use a small amount of starting fluid which creates small back fire, percusion knocks small spacer out which rides between rocker arm and spring! I actually found the spacer. :unsure:

Please, be kind to the mechanicaly deficient! ;)

shercosam

Paul Harvey Maintenance.

The Rest of the story ;)

Glad you got it sorted, I was not following along with the entire it ran out of gas, and would not restart, so I adjusted the valves line of thought.

Glad you got it going.

As a general rule, Ether should not be used on gas motors except as a last ditch effort.

The run out of gas back fire thing is the reason I said check the flywheel key.

They might run with a sheared key, just not well. Looked like something had to have happened

from the backfire................

Make sure you didn't stretch the Johnson Rods. ;)