Buying Land

spud

I've seen a woodland land i'm thinking of buying. The sporting rights are included in the sale, so i'm assuming i can ride my bike on the land without any legal problems? The land has road access and is away from houses etc... What I'd like to know is what can i do in the way of modifying the land with a digger and building sections. The land appears flat from an ordance survey map. If there were to be issues with digging the land up are there any ways ( PM me privately) in which the local council might agree, ie; allowing the local boy scouts, girl guides to have summer camps, or allow horse riding?

cliff

spud, i probably won't see you till Sidcup's wobbler at the earliest, where i can brief you in excruciating detail on all of these points! If time is short you can call me here at uni or chat to my mum and dad (who have most of the same info)

briefly; ( B) )

"sporting rights" - is land sale code for hunting, fishing, etc - some land doesn't include this and the local hunt may come over, etc

planning - for trials, you would be operating under your "permitted development rights" (aka the 14/28 day rule), interpretation is varied (detailed advice on the LARA website). at the strictest you could use it for 14 days of riding bikes at the loosest you could hold 28 separate one day events (with setting up / taking down riding not being n/a).

digger, rocks, etc - technically you need planning permission for any earthworks and need a variety of environmental licences to bring in material form off site (earth, rocks, concrete, etc), however most places appear to let you get away with low level earth works (like drainage trenches, etc - so sections dug out like those at Canada Heights are OKish)

other usages - they would all build up within your 28 days of permitted development, thus if said council said they think you can have 28 days, any other use would take a day of trials away from you. if they said 14 days then it doesn't hurt and earns you community browny points (that why we let the scouts, cyclo trials, etc use our land)

• 3 weeks later...
I've seen a woodland land i'm thinking of buying. The sporting rights are included in the sale, so i'm assuming i can ride my bike on the land without any legal problems? The land has road access and is away from houses etc... What I'd like to know is what can i do in the way of modifying the land with a digger and building sections. The land appears flat from an ordance survey map. If there were to be issues with digging the land up are there any ways ( PM me privately) in which the local council might agree, ie; allowing the local boy scouts, girl guides to have summer camps, or allow horse riding?

cliff

yo spuddy we are having the same idea some of us are thinking of getting together and buying a piece of land that we can totally transform to our liking. but!! we will do it on the quite and face the council at a later date if they find out what we are up to..the idea is to buy a piece of land well away from houses ect and basicaly move under the cover of darkness sas styley. facepaint and all that stuff :-) jcb`s and heavy plant gear and rocks do a bit of modin...flat land is cheap in the se as long as it is well away from jo public who will know. once the work has been done who`s going to reverse the mods??? NO ONE

You muct check that it is not registered as an SSI - site of special scientific interest or anything similar - the conservation bodies would take a close interest in it. This can be checked at your local planning office. Strictly speaking digging holes trenches etc would constitute 'development' from a town planning point of view and would need permission so reasonable discretion is needed.

Also what you bring onto the land is relevant. Natural materials that could be found on land such as wood stone or soil (clean) is considered less intrusive, but you must be more careful with 'non natural' materials such as concrete old tyres or similar things. If pollution from non natural materials gets into your neighbours land you could be held responsible in law. ( Its a tort). The local authority does have power to rectify planning infringements and they do use them if pressed.

Yes, the red tape brigade go into melt down if you do anything in the slightest bit dodgy and they have some real poke if you upset them.

I've had a taste of the problems you might face (not to do with motorsport I must add.)

Imagine having a court injunction taken out against you to return the land to it's original state!

You don't do it- so the council employs a contractor to do it anyway and sends you the bill- which you don't pay, so the council sends in the ballifs.

It's not worth the hassle unless you do it all above board.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :D

planning - for trials, you would be operating under your "permitted development rights" (aka the 14/28 day rule), interpretation is varied (detailed advice on the LARA website). at the strictest you could use it for 14 days of riding bikes at the loosest you could hold 28 separate one day events (with setting up / taking down riding not being n/a).

How does that work, can someone explain? Is this if you are running a trial or does it include practise as well.

Just buy the land, get 2 sheep and if anyone asks your using the trials bike to round them up, most farmers use quads these days so its not much different.

As for building obsticles dry stone walled sheep pens can make a challenging section, or a pile of logs shaped like a beaver dam :D , just be very discreet and if possible to to make obsticles look like they belong there, a trench filled with rocks would over time look like a real stream more so if you lined the bottom with polythene to hold water, a fallen tree would also be good, plenty of posibilities without bringing much attention to yourself.

Just buy the land, get 2 sheep and if anyone asks your using the trials bike to round them up

Oh come on - get real, who's gonna milk them for the rest of the week?

You've just not thought this out.

:D

Yep - sorry, Strongbow again. I'll get me coat.

How does that work, can someone explain? Is this if you are running a trial or does it include practise as well.

Just buy the land, get 2 sheep and if anyone asks your using the trials bike to round them up, most farmers use quads these days so its not much different.

As for building obsticles dry stone walled sheep pens can make a challenging section, or a pile of logs shaped like a beaver dam :D , just be very discreet and if possible to to make obsticles look like they belong there, a trench filled with rocks would over time look like a real stream more so if you lined the bottom with polythene to hold water, a fallen tree would also be good, plenty of posibilities without bringing much attention to yourself.

Great idea can you tell me if there are many beavers in the Milton Keynes area?

a) now your thinking the rights diea

:D you mention get a few animals, i keep thinking we're misisng out on a fortune's worht of fram subsides - we've 36 acres (hopefully another 17 soon), at least half is grass - so a few sheep must get us some euro cash (to spend on importing more rocks!)....