Tuning/trick Bits

ksv

I will be getting a 08 270 pretty soonish. Just wondered if anyone knew of any tuning parts to give it a bit more grunt. Also any nice sparkly anodized bits would be appreciated as everyone likes a bit of bling. I have looked on the beta website and seen those bits but not sure how to get my hands on them, do british dealers stock them?

Any info would be appreciated.

I will be getting a 08 270 pretty soonish. Just wondered if anyone knew of any tuning parts to give it a bit more grunt. Also any nice sparkly anodized bits would be appreciated as everyone likes a bit of bling. I have looked on the beta website and seen those bits but not sure how to get my hands on them, do british dealers stock them?

08 270 and you want more grunt!?!! Try riding it first before you splash the cash on unecessaries...

Edited by DanBeaven

08 270 and you want more grunt!?!! Try riding it first before you splash the cash on unecessaries...

I have done...

Moto Tassani VForce3 carbon fiber reeds. I have them on my '05 and they really smooth out the grunt at the low revs. Makes it much easier to pull higher gears when going really slow.

http://www.vforce3.com/

The other thing I did to my Beta and I'm not sure if they've fixed this on the '08s or not was to pull out the clutch pack and dress the tabs on the fiber plates. Beta clutches have always been sticky and used large springs. That was a mystery to me until I decided to figure out why the Beta clutch was such a bear. When I pulled the clutch out and visually inspected the plates under a microscope I was horrified.

http://www.newenglandtrials.org/clutch001.jpg

http://www.newenglandtrials.org/clutch003.jpg

These are photos of the fiber plate tabs with about three months of wear in. Essentially these are bearing surfaces that must slide to engage and disengage the clutch. It's apparent that these are forged but not dressing the tabs leaves an uneven surface. When the clutch is engaged these ridges are driven into the side of the clutch basket slots grabbing as they go. This causes the clutch to slip. as more power is fed to the clutch more side torque drives these ridges harder into the basket. The green between the ridges is residual adhesive from the fiber material. The fix that has been used is heavier springs to force the plates to slide together. On the opposite end when the clutch is disengaged the plates don't have the heavier spring pressure to push them apart so the plates stick together because of the side torque. This also makes the release much more sudden then it should be as a moment with the engine torque released will allow the plates to separate suddenly. The other issues caused by this is uneven wear of the clutch basket so even replacing the plates may not fix it on an older bike where the plates and basket have worn into each other.

What I did to my bike was pull the clutch pack out and dress the ends of the tabs with a jeweler's file. (every toolbox should have a set) and then polish with a polishing stone. I used a Dremel tool but a hand stone will work just fine. Wash the plates thoroughly before putting the clutch pack back in. Soapy water works fine just make sure you rinse all the soap off as a last step so it doesn't damage the tranny oil.

I left out two clutch springs on mine and have been riding the bike almost every weekend (except winter) for two years. No clutch slip and the engagement is super smooth and consistent and I weigh around 235lbs and really beat on the clutch. It's worth it for any Beta owner to pull the clutch pack and have a look.

Dan

Edited by Dan Williams

• 1 month later...
Moto Tassani VForce3 carbon fiber reeds. I have them on my '05 and they really smooth out the grunt at the low revs. Makes it much easier to pull higher gears when going really slow.

http://www.vforce3.com/

The other thing I did to my Beta and I'm not sure if they've fixed this on the '08s or not was to pull out the clutch pack and dress the tabs on the fiber plates. Beta clutches have always been sticky and used large springs. That was a mystery to me until I decided to figure out why the Beta clutch was such a bear. When I pulled the clutch out and visually inspected the plates under a microscope I was horrified.

http://www.newenglandtrials.org/clutch001.jpg

http://www.newenglandtrials.org/clutch003.jpg

These are photos of the fiber plate tabs with about three months of wear in. Essentially these are bearing surfaces that must slide to engage and disengage the clutch. It's apparent that these are forged but not dressing the tabs leaves an uneven surface. When the clutch is engaged these ridges are driven into the side of the clutch basket slots grabbing as they go. This causes the clutch to slip. as more power is fed to the clutch more side torque drives these ridges harder into the basket. The green between the ridges is residual adhesive from the fiber material. The fix that has been used is heavier springs to force the plates to slide together. On the opposite end when the clutch is disengaged the plates don't have the heavier spring pressure to push them apart so the plates stick together because of the side torque. This also makes the release much more sudden then it should be as a moment with the engine torque released will allow the plates to separate suddenly. The other issues caused by this is uneven wear of the clutch basket so even replacing the plates may not fix it on an older bike where the plates and basket have worn into each other.

What I did to my bike was pull the clutch pack out and dress the ends of the tabs with a jeweler's file. (every toolbox should have a set) and then polish with a polishing stone. I used a Dremel tool but a hand stone will work just fine. Wash the plates thoroughly before putting the clutch pack back in. Soapy water works fine just make sure you rinse all the soap off as a last step so it doesn't damage the tranny oil.

I left out two clutch springs on mine and have been riding the bike almost every weekend (except winter) for two years. No clutch slip and the engagement is super smooth and consistent and I weigh around 235lbs and really beat on the clutch. It's worth it for any Beta owner to pull the clutch pack and have a look.

Dan

Dan, when you left 2 springs out, did you put the bolts in or leave them outs as well? My '08 270 clutch is inconsistant and grabby also chatters/chudders and is about as noisy as a Ducati dry clutch with the cover off. It also vibrates to beat hell. I just got the bike and have only ridden it twice. I'm not too happy about it either. Thanks,

Neil King