Gas Gas - Self Promotion Diatribe

4ourtea

MY FAULT. Fact, The 125 at this years UK World Round the fuel breather stuck on section 4 first lap. This was not a genuine GG part but an alloy aftermarket part a couple of years old. MY FAULT? Fact At the BTC round at Skyrakes the other day the extra flywheel retaining nut came undone and wiped out the lighting coil wires and we fixed up the flywheel and decided to carry on topping the coolant up at every section due to shortage of time, Alexz finished in third place. I didnt locktite it. MY FAULT

Beg to differ on this point Julian, it's (IMO) Alexz' fault. It's his ride and he's responsible for making sure everything's fine & dandy whether or not he worked on it.

M2CW

Possibly tft, but were you at 15 16 and 17 a better mechanic than someone who has been at it for 40years?

Doubt it. To expect a schoolboy to check his machine, every nut and bolt a bit unrealistic,

(It might be a shed in winslow now, but some say it will be a smart workshop soon............ ;) )

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 posts from PHYSCO and a grand total of 5 words...

Saving up 'em all up for the next YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE John? Leave some room for the piccies ;)

Superb!

If it wasn't for sponsors, riders,importers etc promoting their particular brand, this website would be the poorer for it.

Viva Montesa!!!!

Possibly tft, but were you at 15 16 and 17 a better mechanic than someone who has been at it for 40years?

Doubt it. To expect a schoolboy to check his machine, every nut and bolt a bit unrealistic,

(It might be a shed in winslow now, but some say it will be a smart workshop soon............ ;) )

Good point Dabster although I was probably a better mechanic at 17 than I am now but that's 'cause we so spoilt with reliable bikes these days. It must be 13 years since I last split a motor. When I was 17 I used to do it twice a year.

Come into this a bit late but I must completely agree with all positive comments regarding Shirty's contribution to this site, to his loyal gasser riders and to trials in general. If this was another sport like rugby for instance, he would be getting an MBE for his services to the promotion of the sport and the support of his riders he is so passionate about! one word.... Respect ;)

I must also pick up on the very valid comment made by Julian/Dabster about the reliability of gassers in general. Ross' 125's have had unrelenting abuse and the engine's have never failed (to my knowledge). One DNF last year for a busted swinging arm is all I know of of any significance.

Please excuse me 4ourtea for my shameful plug of Ross but if anyone doubts a gasser, watch and listen to this Video and see how much abuse the gasser gets week in week out. ;) (footage from Hawkstone 2005)

The key to a good reliable bike is top quality maintenance and you can't get much better than Julian and Mick where gassers are concerned IMHO ;)

Back to Shirty's "Shirty says... " articles..... Keep em coming I say - There's nowt wrong with them :huh:

This is great the article is better than TV!! 4ourtea its probably best that if you get any more opinions like this you keep them to yourself as a pose to upsetting so many members. At this point i would like to say shirty is a top bloke and thanks to him for showing me a few lines at sections at the scott!

Even if shirt is self promoting on here, so what- there is nothing to stop any of the other sponsers like sandiford etc from doing it also. All shirt is doing is putting a bit of extra effort into his business and taking the advantage of being an advertiser here. I think his reports are a good read- a shame really that a few more dont do it.

Edit to say i think a lot of the guys here are a bit childish with their comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion

Edited by Eddie_Lejeune

The first post from 4ourtea was undoubtedly provocative and caused a valid response, any calls to delete were right to be dismissed as its resulted in a huge show of support for Shirty and challenged the initial and somewhat insulting post. On saying that, to be fair, 4ourtea posted agin when I thought he'd have been buried under the heavy artillery fire and would not re-appear, and while I do not agree I reckon he takes a few steps back on what he was getting at in the first place in his second post

We've had Gassers for a fair few years now and they have all been spot-on and reliable, and at the moment my lad runs a 280 and I run a 300, both 06 models, we've never had a problem with the 300 and the only problem I've had with then 280 is that I've had to pay for the bloody petrol, oil, entry fee, etc as he was a bloody student until 3 weeks ago when the tight little sod I refer to as 'son' got a job!!

Not only that but virtually every member of the Gas Gas staff are well into off road sport, on the trials side they not only compete but act as secretary, set out, collect flags, sort route marking, run club meetings, update results, and are a top bunch of people. And despite popular opinion Andy (Father Jack) Hipwell is a good lad too but is an alcoholic and when he plays pool he sees at least three white balls and always goes for the wrong one!! ;)

Eiger ;)