The Forums Have About Talked Me Out Of Getting A Bike

ridgrunr

Since 1974, I've owned Yamahas, Betas, Fantics and Gas Gas's. Due to a job move, I've been bikeless for a year, but am getting ready to order a new '08. I've always been a guy who kept a bike for awhile, and with the prices going the way they are, that will be even more true.

I've ridden all the bikes and have watched them work in the sections so have a pretty good handle on what each of them are about.

I loved my GG321 but I'm not a fan of the GG PRO, too fragile and I hate the kick starter. GG's seem to be turning into a ride it a year, then throw it away bike.

Just couldn't get on with the Scorpa. Just didn't look right to me and they seem to start looking old in a hurry.

I liked the Montesa, especially the way it handled, but not the 4RT's motor..or the noise! That's always been a draw to trials, environmentally quiet bikes. Take that thing to Moab on the Slick Rock trail and every moutain biker on the trail will start throwing rocks at you. That 4 Stroke is anything but quiet. And I just couldn't come to terms with that four stroke power on the Utah rocks. Stalled it on a ledge and couldn't get the damn thing started again. How can anyone sell bikes that take a magic touch to start? From everything I've seen it seems that Montesa has the best quality, but I'm just not ready for a 4 stroke yet, plus they are maintenance intensive. Man I wish Montesa would still build a 2 stroke model and put it in that 4RT frame.

The Sherco felt most like my GGs. I liked it a lot, great power, but too many Power Ranger stickers that come off the first time gas touches them. Still I like it a lot, so it came down to deciding between the 290 Sherco and the 270 REV. I know I probably don't need the big bore, but the less shifting I have to do on the 6 hours of the Five Miles of Hell the better.

Loved the Rev too. Liked the idea of no linkage on the shock to mess with every few months, and I like the non painted frame. The Technos I rode had great suspension and the REV did too. It had great power and quite honestly looks dynamite. The new carb was supposed to fix the mikuni peeing problem...

So I decided to try something new and was getting ready to order '08 270 Rev-3. Then I start reading about chain clearance problems, and tire problems rubbing on the shock, and now maybe the carb problem isn't fixed by the kehin after all and the carb is all but impossible to get out. Then recently I discovered that two guys in our club have had their Rev transmissions grenade. Not good.

How can these manufacturers continue to make bikes year after year that have the same engineering flaws and not take steps to fix them? Heck everyone here talks about them and everyone seems to have the same problems. The more I read, the more I discover that none of the makes are immune.

So now I'm leaning back to the Sherco, but it's not without it's own problems.

Quite honestly at over 7 grand a pop...I don't know what to get now. :D

Edited by Ridgrunr

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridgrunr,

I think your being too picky. Every bike made today has its pro's and con's. Just find the one that suits you best and the one you feel comfortable on and get it. Its going to break and you will need to fix something eventuallythats a given. My Sherco's been great. Not perfect but no more maintenance than any bike i have had in the past. I have freinds who ride GG's and Beta's that say the same thing.

Good luck!

I think when you read these forums it just makes things seem a lot worse than they are. I have had many of the bikes everyone complains about yet I experience none of the problems that you would think are a big problem. It's the same way with other forums too, I go on KTMtalk and they have all these problems I have never had with my KTM's.

I currently have a '07 Sherco 4t which is about the same as an '08. While I think the bike is great, if you don't like the 4 stroke power of the 4rt then in my opinion you most likely wouldn't like the Sherco. I had a 4rt that I was very happy with, but I like the Sherco's power much more, mainly because it has more :D plus the bike is lighter.

If the only thing holding you back from a Sherco 2.9 is the stickers then I say go for that. I just put Cabestany Rep graphics on my 4t :D Looks much better than Spooge Bob or Powder Rangers.

Steve, let me know how the transition goes for your son from the 80. I have a 08 Sherco 125 on order for mine.

Edited by sirhc

Chris:

He has had two trials now on the GG125 (race model) so far and the transition has been seemless. He is riding better already on the new bike and says he cant feel any difference in the weight. Beautiful little motor!!! Once we get his actual 08 model I can go through it and make some mods to suspension that will better suit his 85lbs weight! :D

Steve

For the money you get a top of-the-line, state-of-the-art competition machine. The fact that you may have to do a little tweaking every few months is pretty amazing. Buy it, ride it and enjoy. You're only going this way once. Besides if you buy a new bike you'll want to spend more time riding then reading the silliness on the forums.

Dan

why do you need an 08 bike?

I have to agree with Steve Fracey, the gassers that we have owned ( 93 250, 05 280, 05 200, 06 300, 06 50 and now an 07 250) have had no problems that stand out. I have also owned Betas, and all of them have been good bikes. They all require maintenance and each has its own personality but all are good bikes. Get a bike and ride.