Trials Clothing? Help Me I'm New To This!

enduromonkey

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok people, thanks for all your help. Seems i'll leave the one piece idea alone till i know what i'm doing on a bike :-P. I'll go shopping this weekend for two piece and boots! I know i've already asked but, what makes of gear do you rate? And where is the best place to buy from? Ideally not the internet as i'd like to try on first.

Hi,

for what it's worth I think that one piece suits should be left to the professionals or the ladies (who usually look best in them :o ).

Trials jeans fit better than MX jeans and are (in my opinion) more comfortable to wear, although it's not an essential item of clothing - go to any club trial and look at the variety of clothing being worn! As has already been mentioned, trials boots are a lot more comfortable and easier to wear both on and off the bike than MX boots, although I do know some people who prefer to wear MX boots due to old injuries as they like the level of support offered by the stiffer construction.

Unlike MX, trials (unless you're 15 or a rising star) isn't really driven by fashion. I believe most riders prefer functionality over fashion - or perhaps we're all tight old gits! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Stoford.

BVM do a decent range of trials wear that you can try on before you buy. Depends on where you live i guess - the north seems to have loads of trials shops but they're a bit thinner on the ground here in the west country :thumbup: Loads of stuff available on the web, but then you 're pretty much stuck with it if it doesn't suit you. The most popular branded stuff is Hebo, Clice, and XC-ting i think. Enduro pants are a happy medium between trials stuff and mx stuff. Seems to be a little more fitted and a little lighter than mx but more durable than trials wear. All in my limited experience of course, but going by my own stuff (A'stars Enduro - unmarked despite my best efforts) compared to some of my friends gear (Hebo/XC-ting trials - exhaust burns and looking a little ragged) this bears out. I'd definitely go with a decent set of trials boots over mx ones unless you have an injury based reason for wearing mx ones. The difference is massive in terms of comfort and feel. Mx boots are way too rigid and dont allow enough movement.

Oh.....and good call on the 2 piece - you know it makes sense :o

Ok, thanks too all again. I went shopping on-line today at work (don't tell the boss). I have come to a compramise. I still went 'lycra' but two piece as most (all actually) of you guys recomended. Just now hope it feels better than my MX gear did (not that streatchy when I needed it :thumbup: ). And hope it fits. I ordered Medium on the basis, although i'm 6 foot, i'm only 30'' waist.(?) The boots they offered me were Diadora. Any good?

Edited by enduromonkey

The boots they offered me were Diadora. Any good?

yes these boots are good they have a water proof lining so if you have to go in any streams then ur feet will stay nice and dry and warm. just make sure when you wash you boots you put saddle soap or boot water proofing on them to stop them going hard.

Yeh, I do see your point! If i don't stop eating the chocolate from christmas i won't FIT into ANY Lycra gear, let alone a 1 piece! :wacko: . Yes thats right i'm STILL eating it........I got allot! Anywho, are Trials gloves any different to MX ones? Do they provide more feel or are they more or less the same?

If you are on a budget, keep clear of the pukka trials shirts and bottoms (X-CTING, Hebo, Clice etc)- they are way too pricey compared with MX gear, which is far more durable. I had a flier in a weekly rag the other week for some AXO MX gear and couldn't beleive how cheap they were. Also Alpinestars are doing pants and shirts at reasonable prices at the lower spec end of their MX range (try Demon Tweeks web site). Don't forget waterproofs. Again, if you are on a budget try to avoid the pukka trials stuff. I bought a perfectly adequate waterproof jacket for

andat,

thanks for the advice, but re the pants and shirt, i already went internet shopping and got a Lycra pant and a loose mx top that matches. But thank you anyway. Will take on board advice for the waterproof though. . . . and yes I had forgot about that. Thanks!

Big difference in feel between trials gloves and MX ones. Trials gloves dont have the knuckle padding and usually are a lot thinner in the palm and fingers (single layer/1 piece palm usually) so are a lot more flexible and give greater 'feel'. If you're not fussed about having a brand slapped all over them, you can get plain black trials gloves on Ebay for a fiver. I bought some and theyre actually a lot better than i was expecting. I've had some sizeable offs lately and theyre holding up well. Branded gloves are anywhere between 15 and 45 quid.

Not having protection on the backs is the problem with trials gloves - those trees still bite! The best "modern" trials glove I had, albeit with no back protection, was the Trap which I had to finally lay to rest four years ago. Those who rode Fantics back in the day know how long they had lasted. The new stuff wasn't what I wanted and looked to have a life measured in sections rather than trials. I'm sure my mother uses stronger as dress wear. A tenner for a set of last year's colour Moto-X gloves seemed to be just the job and the palms are as thin as anything I have used.

Does anyone still make the leather scrambles gloves with rubber strips down the backs of the fingers that we used to think looked so cool as we rode our Bultos to trials and home again I wonder. Didn't wear gloves in the sections of course.

Does anyone still make the leather scrambles gloves with rubber strips down the backs of the fingers that we used to think looked so cool as we rode our Bultos to trials and home again I wonder. Didn't wear gloves in the sections of course.

Like this?

GLOVES-BROWN.jpg