The Right To Use Your Own Land.

asc

hi,i own a small field just a few acres,with the local poice tightening up so much ,i've let my brother take his 7 year old twins and there pw50's on there bikes on there for an hour on a sunday,it's situated next to the main london rail line ,so trains come past every 20 minutes,so it's already noisey.already it seems a counciller who lives local has complained and this morning i've had a nasty letter from the council,am i right in thinking that for 21 days a year i can use it for purposes other than agriculture?or how i stand under uk law.

it really upset me that a couple of busy bodys can cause me so much trouble,as they are no more noisey than a lawnmower and i'd quite like to take my beta up there in the summer.

if they really wind me up and i can't use i may as well sell the land to the local gypseys.

any advice would be most welcome.

Edited by asc

yes im afraid they claim that two pw 50's are causing a noise problem,only one complaint but he's a counciller ,ironic thing is the intensive pig farm next to my mum's can load pigs up at 4 in the morning and be loading pig feed hoppers at 6 and they are noisey,the local council don't give a t...

i think they should find something better to do it sad really.

Under local laws, what's the worse they can do?

Fine you?

Take the land?

Hunt you down and have you drawn and quartered?

In our country,probably yes,I'm afraid.

Edited by HAM2

A well written piece in the local paper might get some sympathy, or even a letter to the council:

Something like:

In this day and age where kids become over attached to games consoles, I think it's important to get them out of the house and interested in other sports. Indeed the government would probably agree that competitive sport can be a great positive benefit to kids of all ages.

My family has been involved with motorcycle trials for years, one of the most skillful of all motorcycle sports, involving balance and mainly very slow speed riding. In an attempt to introduce my nephews to responsible motorsport at an early age, with a hope that they will progress to trials in the near future, they have been given the opportunity to ride a childs motorcycle on a few acres of land which I own.

These are not ASBO's in the making, this is not a field full of racing motorcycles, this is a serious effort to show two five year olds how responsible sport should be done, taking other people in to consideration at the same time.

It's disheartening to find that the very people who have an interest in creating sporting and recreational opportunites for young people, are immediately against anything like this happening anywhere near their own homes, no matter how infrequent.

In days gone by you would expect the older generation to enjoy the fact that children are out doing something productive and responsible, rather than hanging around street corners and shopping arcades. It seems that in this day and age, the immediate NIMBY reaction is to type up a letter to have them removed from sight. Most of us want our children to be introduced to responsible, productive hobbies and pastimes, but only some of us are doing anything about it.

Tweaking to suit your own circumstances, just an idea.

A well written piece in the local paper might get some sympathy, or even a letter to the council:

Something like:

In this day and age where kids become over attached to games consoles, I think it's important to get them out of the house and interested in other sports. Indeed the government would probably agree that competitive sport can be a great positive benefit to kids of all ages.

My family has been involved with motorcycle trials for years, one of the most skillful of all motorcycle sports, involving balance and mainly very slow speed riding. In an attempt to introduce my nephews to responsible motorsport at an early age, with a hope that they will progress to trials in the near future, they have been given the opportunity to ride a childs motorcycle on a few acres of land which I own.

These are not ASBO's in the making, this is not a field full of racing motorcycles, this is a serious effort to show two five year olds how responsible sport should be done, taking other people in to consideration at the same time.

It's disheartening to find that the very people who have an interest in creating sporting and recreational opportunites for young people, are immediately against anything like this happening anywhere near their own homes, no matter how infrequent.

In days gone by you would expect the older generation to enjoy the fact that children are out doing something productive and responsible, rather than hanging around street corners and shopping arcades. It seems that in this day and age, the immediate NIMBY reaction is to type up a letter to have them removed from sight. Most of us want our children to be introduced to responsible, productive hobbies and pastimes, but only some of us are doing anything about it.

Tweaking to suit your own circumstances, just an idea.

This is a great letter. I hope it does the trick for asc.

DFW

hi,i own a small field just a few acres,with the local poice tightening up so much ,i've let my brother take his 7 year old twins and there pw50's on there bikes on there for an hour on a sunday,it's situated next to the main london rail line ,so trains come past every 20 minutes,so it's already noisey.already it seems a counciller who lives local has complained and this morning i've had a nasty letter from the council,am i right in thinking that for 21 days a year i can use it for purposes other than agriculture?or how i stand under uk law.

it really upset me that a couple of busy bodys can cause me so much trouble,as they are no more noisey than a lawnmower and i'd quite like to take my beta up there in the summer.

if they really wind me up and i can't use i may as well sell the land to the local gypseys.

any advice would be most welcome.

I know this has been said already but please put the details of the letter on here so we can read it. Just because he has made a complaint, that doesn't mean you have to stop. Damn bully boy tactics from councillors/officials is one of my pet hates.

One of the things with someone making a complaint about noise is to be considered a noise nuisance, the emission of noise would have to be shown to be unreasonable and effect him in a significant way. It's highly likely that under the circumstances you describe, this cannot be making a significant effect. So I think you can fight this successfully.

Like I said, post the details of the letter and then I can see if I can be of help. :beer:

I know this has been said already but please put the details of the letter on here so we can read it. Just because he has made a complaint, that doesn't mean you have to stop. Damn bully boy tactics from councillors/officials is one of my pet hates.

One of the things with someone making a complaint about noise is to be considered a noise nuisance, the emission of noise would have to be shown to be unreasonable and effect him in a significant way. It's highly likely that under the circumstances you describe, this cannot be making a significant effect. So I think you can fight this successfully.

Like I said, post the details of the letter and then I can see if I can be of help. :crying:

...and you all thought that cape was just for show...what a hero :beer:

under the 1995 planning act (for england and wales), you (the landowner/leaseholder) have 28 days of "permitted development" to use the land for purposes other than wha tit has planning for (ie agriculture). *but* if its an SSSI or national park, then you need planning permission. if you want to use it for a "noisy" use (the act lists "motor racing", clay pigeon shooting, boot fairs, etc) then you only have 14 days.

more advice can be found on the LARA website (http://www.laragb.org/)

there are a few other legal hoops you should jump through, but that's the main one they will try and get you on