Week 55 - Tv Spotting Of Trials Riders

Andy

Les and Willie run John Winthrop's former joinery business which is obviously evolved into a full builders business, for those that don't know Willie Gordon married Les' big sister Anne, Secretary of the SSDT P65 trial ( i'll get another thick ear now for nearly giving away a guide to Anne's age...... :banana2: ).

Les was Scottish Champion on a few occasion (the Prof can fill in the details) if I remember rightly, he scrambled for quite a few years came back and won it again

In his prime....1986ish #29

Edited by Slapshot 3

John Winthrop was joint Scottish Trials Champion with Robin Cownie in 1978.

His son Les won the Scottish Championship from 1984 - 1990 inclusive and again in 2005 after a staggering 11 year lay-off from trials!

That makes him 8 times Scottish Trials Champion and one of the best Scottish riders in the SSDT by final placing.

Big John

John Winthrop was joint Scottish Trials Champion with Robin Cownie in 1978.

I couldn't place years, Robin and John tied the champs the year the old man smashed his elbow at the Dalmellington round in Thornhill....Alan Poynton the year before???

I couldn't place years, Robin and John tied the champs the year the old man smashed his elbow at the Dalmellington round in Thornhill....Alan Poynton the year before???

No, 1977 Scottish Champion was Michael Tye, son of BSA works rider David Tye.

Alan Poynton was Scottish Champion in 1976 on a Suzuki.

Big John

Spotted Trevor woods (from the south midland centre) recieving a bafta a week or so back too.

Yes pretty cool - Rode the Pete Michell Trial in the afternoon not mentioning it - then a few hours later we see him on the box, live. : giving a speech after receiving his Bafta.

:thumbup

No, 1977 Scottish Champion was Michael Tye, son of BSA works rider David Tye.

Alan Poynton was Scottish Champion in 1976 on a Suzuki.

Big John

You're just a big show off.........I was only 10 when Alan won, always seemed really gruff to me back then.

A tenuous link I know but, since we're name dropping,I used to do off-road practice with (bike nut)Brian Johnson (who???)when he was finished as lead singer with 'Geordie'.

He'd be at my local quarry on a Saturday or Sunday morning and true to his rock-and-roll lifestyle he was still rat-ar5ed,he was a bloody good laugh though.

He lent me a Kawa' traily with a locked up clutch but neglected to tell me the clutch-lever was not connected.Laugh?..I thought my pants would never dry.

He never even mentioned when he hit the jackpot with the job as front-man for ????????????????????.AC/DC..of course!

And that was the laaast we ever saw of the road warrior! :banana2:

Yes pretty cool - Rode the Pete Michell Trial in the afternoon not mentioning it - then a few hours later we see him on the box, live. : giving a speech after receiving his Bafta.

:thumbup

Any idea what category he won?

Was trying to find it on the BAFTA site but can't find him.

That apprenticeship in the Windsor Comp shop obviously stood him well!

What's the story with David Tye? I was told (by me dad) that he was aircrew in a vulcan and had a diving accident and that's he ended up in a wheelchair.

Not quite correct, but on the right lines Tim.

David Tye who lives in Oban and I know very well, rode for BSA (& Douglas) was a commercial diver, he contracted the bends back in the early 1970's while on an ascent from a dive and was confined to a wheelchair as a result.

David's younger brother Jonathan, whom I rode Robregordo with in 2006, was the Vulcan bomber pilot.

Hope this clarifies

Big John

Edited by Big John

On the subject of trials rider spotting, I saw a very smart and serious looking Andy Huddlestone in his police uniform on the equivalent of "Police, Camera, Action" the other week. He looked a bit different compared to last May when he was up to his backside in Scottish burn water as he helped Dibs to his SSDT victory!