Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Trials Central

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Week 68 - No 4 Star Answer To The Petrol Crisis

Featured Replies

  • Replies 66
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Whitham has openly and frankly laid the cards on the table, the current format addresses any environmental questions. The multi-lap idea is in my opinion a bad one.

People ride the SSDT because the format is unique, there is just no other event like it.

As for redesigning the modern trials bike, that is just not going to happen, trials bikes sales are not influenced by the SSDT any more, nor will be so in the future.

The modern trials bike is nimble and designed for a specific job, load it up with heavy fuel and it becomes an different animal!

I still say the best way forward is to get a replacement for the armed services (let's not forget that they have done an incredible job for the SSDT in the past, but that is at an end) in the shape of a commercial venture, suitably legally authorised and insured to move gasoline fuel around, both on and off private land where necessary, at a sensible cost to the competitor, my "guestimate" is between

Hi people

good to see this topic is still to the fore and well done to the CoC for his posts and keeping us up to speed also good to here that a sud-commitee has been set up.

my own opinion is that the logistics of getting the fuel out to the field are relatively simple, simply do as the Army did,

I`m not confident that there is a refueling service out there I have been trying to track one down with no success, so it may be down to the club to grasp the nettle, again it seems fairly straight forward,

1 hire 7? single cab 4x4 pickups around

Edited by whiz

I wonder if the cost could be offset somewhat by local business/grants? Lets just say that it worked out to be 150 quid per rider, would local hotels etc offer discounted rooms to riders to offset the price rise? Can the council/tourist office/Visit Scotland etc offer a grant of somekind to buy the one off equipment? Would hire companys hire for free/reduced rates in return for prime sponsership of the event?

After all, without the SSDT Ft William will loose a massive amount of cash as there will be no spectators.

Mark

Im sure the committee have a better figure than me but I was speaking to a business person in FW this year during the event and they thought the event brought in 2-3 million per year. The West End Hotel ran out of beer three nights on the trot. They sold 100 kegs of lager alone all the bottled beer and alcopops they could get a hold of and most of their usual stocks of spirits.

I firmly believe that the local council and a big name sponsor are the way forward. If this could be managed it could actually put the SSDT in a better financial position than it is now.

Redbull with your Shell Optimax anyone?

.....The West End Hotel ran out of beer three nights on the trot.

Andy was there I bet :P

I agree about drumming some local and council help if possible - big revenue earner and probably the biggest single event of the year for FW ?

Andy was there I bet :D

big revenue earner and probably the biggest single event of the year for FW ?

Most years yes!! but this year the Mountain Bike World Championship will bring more people to Fort William, albeit most of them will be centred around the event village at Annoch Mor, but they will still be filling up the hotels.

Doubt if they will be drinking the bars dry though :crying: Bl**dy fit these boys and girls, not like us Trials Riders that think to re-hydrate Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeer :P is best :P

Mark Whitham has openly and frankly laid the cards on the table, the current format addresses any environmental questions. The multi-lap idea is in my opinion a bad one.

People ride the SSDT because the format is unique, there is just no other event like it.

..............

I still say the best way forward is to get a replacement for the armed services (let's not forget that they have done an incredible job for the SSDT in the past, but that is at an end) in the shape of a commercial venture, suitably legally authorised and insured to move gasoline fuel around, both on and off private land where necessary, at a sensible cost to the competitor, my "guestimate" is between

Edited by bikespace

Andy was there I bet <_<

I agree about drumming some local and council help if possible - big revenue earner and probably the biggest single event of the year for FW ?

Fort William does very well with other big events. Last year saw the MTB world championship with a round of the world cup held there every year on top of this there is usually a big ski competition on every year. The MTB world champioship was quite a sight. Somewhere around 75,000 people for the three days. A hotel couldn't be found as far afield as Inverness. Now that a big event. The same person as i mentioned did say however that the hotels were full but quite.

The whole trials world could learn a thing or two from the UCI MTB boys and girls. They put on a huge show and even managed to keep the town jumping in the evenings. There were shows on every night in area around the Alex with live music and bike demos. If FW put as much effort in to the SSDT we local income could easily go through the roof. The SSDT is a club run event without a huge resource behind it so its really up the the community to jump in and support the event both with more effort and some real financial help.

I also think with next year being 100 years since the 1st event this may be a great opportunity to promote it to serious sponsors. It would have to be a multi year deal but 2009 could be a good opening.

I wasn't going to raise this but as the subject has now been mentioned, the big income, and I have said this before, will only come from large spectator numbers given that rider numbers are restricted and many now seem to come "alone" leaving the family at home.

Where were the spectators this year? Most groups I was at only had a handful, even the Ben on Saturday was practically deserted compared to the last time I was there and it was easy to park a car in the Glen. The Fort itself was dead of an evening, though it would appear that the crowds might have been in a couple of the bars from postings above. I suppose the days are gone when the top runners would be seen out and about but all credit to Michael Brown who put in an appearance at HQ each night, even if only briefly.

I wasn't going to raise this but as the subject has now been mentioned, the big income, and I have said this before, will only come from large spectator numbers given that rider numbers are restricted and many now seem to come "alone" leaving the family at home.

Where were the spectators this year? Most groups I was at only had a handful, even the Ben on Saturday was practically deserted compared to the last time I was there and it was easy to park a car in the Glen. The Fort itself was dead of an evening, though it would appear that the crowds might have been in a couple of the bars from postings above. I suppose the days are gone when the top runners would be seen out and about but all credit to Michael Brown who put in an appearance at HQ each night, even if only briefly.

I agree the town's quite in the evenings but as you say the bars are busy. The MTB show had stuff on in the evening creating a far better atomsphere. As for he stars going out you should have headed down to the West End that's the hub nowadays, We even sat out one evening and had a beer with Dougie just chilling.

this could be the way forward to the small tanks on modern bikes

merlin1985_dg3_350.jpg

tongue firmly in cheek

look at that fuel carrying system

Hi Guy's.

Hi TSO,

I agree with you the clock is ticking and meetings about meetings take time, it would be nice to be kept in touch about progress to solve the problem. Or how do we know how to help. And I know our deadlines for work seem to creep up on us very quickly.

Regards Charlie.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.