Keeping Cool

neo

This might be a question for those of you in warmer climates. But how do you guys keep cool when you ride in the heat?

I may have the opportunity to ride in that kind of climate soon and I was wondering how I would survive the heat ;):D

I've considered something like this :- www.arcticheat.com.au

Anyone ridden with something remotely like this?

Best of balance.

Neo

Sweating is good for ya, cleans out the toxins. Makes room for more new ones to put back in the body. :D

Here in Michigan, a hot day is actually not too bad to ride in as long as the humidity is low. When it is 85 F, and 90% humidity that's a killer.

I wear a Short-sleeve shirt and MX pants zipped off to make shorts.

Drink plenty of fluids, Usually water and electrolyte replacement drinks work best.

But just get used to the idea of being hot cuz it won't go away.

I've been riding all summer in very hot and humid weather which is normal here. I'm using an ice water cooling system from http://www.veskimo.com which works well but it only last about an hour before it needs more ice. It's bulky, heavy and expensive but I can ride any any kind of heat.

Those cooling vests like the one you saw do work but I don't think they cool as long as advertised. About an hour is more realistic. I made a cheap alternative by using this

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/produ...Id=HPProd100629

I take two of the ice blankets ($3 each), cut off a row, and join them together with sticky back velcro so it can wrap around your waist and used velcro to join the ends. I then made a waist wrap made out of compression shorts material with a velcro closure. I wrap this around my waist, then wrap the ice blanket, then cover that with a neoprene waist trimmer belt ($12) and put on a t-shirt and a bicycle helmet. This also works well, is light, and last about an hour before needing to switch out the ice blankets.

Edited by sectionone

come to england its never too warm just crap 24/7/365 more or less right for trials. Oh mr brown will rob youre wallet if you smile or wish to enjoy the no go county side. id smile but cant afford it (nhs no hope service) as i save up for sunday.

come to england its never too warm just crap 24/7/365 more or less right for trials.

Sorry smalley.....I left the UK behind 16 years ago and I haven't looked back since.

Trials and Life is all about balance.

Neo

Thanks Guys.

I have ridden in some hot weather before but got to exhausted too quickly. But I'd noticed that if I could keep my upper back and middle spine cool then my brain was happy :D

I have an idea to use some form of Camel Back with ice packs in along with a Artic Heat Neck Wrap http://www.arcticheat.com.au/new_products.htm

But does any one have any other ideas along these lines?

Best of balance.

Neo

You're in Sydney and ask about riding in the heat? Surely you jest?

Auckland isn't as bad as Cape Town (previous abode) where we could ride in 40 deg heat but as MV says start early finish early, drink lots. Wear a tee shirt. Carry a towel to wipe your sweaty bits. That's about it.

I looking to ride in a MUCH hotter and humid climate than Sydney....so I do not jest I'm affaid ;)

"That's about it."....no I don't think so.....there's always a better way..... Just need to find it :D

Best of balance.

Neo

I will take a mid sized towel, wet it down with water and tuck it over the neck and down the front of the jersey. Can be used to wipe the face between sections. Re wet between loops, or use the camelback.

About 72oz of cold water in the camelback will usually get me around between pit stops!

Last year it was about 108f here when we started our mid summer event late in the day to continue till dark! :D

...But how do you guys keep cool when you ride in the heat?
That's easy... you don't. It's 104 today, so my first comment would be stay out of it. When it's this time of year down here in Texas you just really have to be careful. If you're not used to it (who is?) you can put yourself in danger fast and if you're not riding with someone that knows the signs of heat stroke you can be in real trouble real quick.

If you are going to ride / compete - get a Camelbak. Don't make the mistake of getting a BIG one - get a small one that carries enough for 1 or 2 loops and re-fill at your truck; the big ones are heavy and you end up carrying around a lot of hot water. I keep a performance drink like CytoMax or Gatorade on ice in the truck for between loop stops. Hint - cut your Gatorade at least 50 / 50 with water. If you drink it full strength when you're hot, its like drinking maple syrup and you'll end up throwing up on the loop - don't ask me how I know.

When I was a cyclist I used an energy gel for easily digested carbs while riding and I still use them today. They will keep you from 'bonking' / 'hitting the wall' / 'falling over dead' on the loop.

Other than that, when it's really hot I ride in shorts with shin / knee guards and a t-shirt. Bottom line - just don't get too hot and drink more than you think you need. If your arms feel sticky or you don't have to pee - you're not hydrated well enough.

Now get out there and hand them their asses you beast!

Edited by clarkp

Having Clark just behind me on the loop, offering to administer CPR, usually keeps me going!

I forgot to mention the NZI trivent! I cannot ride without it now, unless it is with the bicycle helmet used for practice!

I have become accustomed to the mid sized camelback. You do not have to fill them completely. One L. water and one L. ice even, as the first loop is always the slowest and the worst, a refreshing cold splash out of it to refresh the towel can be good. The midsize will stow a few basic tools as well. You can always shed it in a section if needed, however there have been a couple of occasions when it provided much appreciated spinal protection when I came off. Now if I could only find a watercushion for my butt! :D

(2 liters of Pepsi Light in the backpack works for me. But I simply don't go out riding if the weather is very hot.)

I made the mistake of buying the fizzy lucozade for my camelbak for the Lomax Trial a few years ago. A little hopping around, and before I'd even got to the start, I felt my backpack expanding until the straps were pulling tight.

I went to relieve some pressure by drinking some off - bad mistake - the pipe went off like an unmanned fire hose, absolutely soaked me with sticky lucozade - good start ;)

I'm only there to boost the morale of the other lads :D