Spare Rear Wheels

gasgasser

I want to use a late Mont wheel as a spare for a Gasser, can anyone confirm the spacers to use ?

From Ishy's post it looks like it will drop straight in to a Sherco and a Scorpa using the origninal Monts spacers.

So does a Sherco or Scorpa wheel drop straight into the Pro using the Sherco or Scorpa spacers. i.e. The Mont wheel and spacers work with the Pro ? And a Scorpa and a Sherco ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing the Gas Gas Raga rearwheel 04 and Sherco 05 (though this is a match for 04) the wheels have the same sprocket to disc size, but the off set to the bearing is different on the sprocket side. My guess is that with spacers this could be corrected assuming the rim is exactly on the centre line for both. However the rear calipers are fixed size on both yet different so its not a matter just to offer it up.

Sorry suby can't help with the mont stuff.

I have a Mont wheel in my garage that isn't doing anything, it was also rebuilt a year ago so its in really good nick and I want to use it in the Gasser if I can.

I checked the disc to sprocket widths last night (sober and with a steel rule), and they are within 1mm of each other, so I just need to find spacers that will get the disc centred and give me the right fit with the swinging arm.

The wheel needs a wider spacer on the sprocket side and a narrower spacer on the disc side. The gasser spacers are both 7.5mm, it looks like it needs around a 9mm Sprocket side and a 6.5mm Disc side to get the wheel to fit.

Once its in I can check that the rim offset is the same, this can easily be tweaked a few mill either way by a good whell builder.

Anyone interested in getting a table of spacer widths together from the various bikes and years ?

I'll start the ball rolling:

Gas Gas Pro 03 Sprocket side is 7.5mm

Gas Gas Pro 03 Disc side is 7.5mm

Mont 01 onwards Sprocket side is 12mm

Mont 01 onwards Disc side is 5.5mm

P.S. I am sure that the chain will cope with less than a 'mill of misalignment. Especially after it been through a bit of South Midland mud.

Edited by Subira

beta disc side 10mm ( 05 bike )

beta sprocket side 8mm

sherco disc side 7mm ( 04 wheel )

sherco sprocket side 9mm

tried putting sherco wheel into the beta with beta spacers in, large gap at sprocket side, tried it with sherco spacers in still large gap,then measured

the hubs of both wheels, from inside of disc to inside of sprocket

beta hub 155mm wide

sherco hub 140mm wide

both wheels look identical but measure different

Thanks, those measurements are really helpful

Mont Wheel measures 139mm (call it 140mm we used a Vernier)

Gas Gas Wheel measures 139mm (call it 140mm we used a Vernier)

Anyone able to post the Scorpa spacer sizes ?

The Mont Disc side spacer (5.5mm) gets the disc central in the caliper (I hadn't tried it before tonight - I'd been using the gauge) Then measured 8.5mm on the sprocket side, I'll order a Sherco and a Beta Sprocket spacer tomorrow, see which gives the best fit and I'm there :wall: Spare wheel for less than a tenner.

Also checked the dishing of the wheel with it centred in the disc (with the Mont disc spacer) and the GG sprocket spacer and feeler gauges to correct width - spot on.

So going back to the original post, there's a few options for wheels to look out for second hand, whether you own a Mont, GG, Sherco or Scorpa.

• 2 weeks later...

The 9mm Sherco Sprocket side spacer gives the best fit.

So to recap, if you want to fit a Montesa 315 post 2001 wheel into a Pro you need the Montesa disc side spacer and a Sherco sprocket side spacer.

Perfect !

post-7-1107435742.jpg

Edited by Subira

Finally the most important thing of all relating to fitting rear wheel form another bike, is whether or not the chain line is correct! Rim offset can also vary, so its sometimes not just a matter of fitting different spacers.

The rim, sprocket and brake disc alignment have all been checked thoroughly (with a vernier) and are spot on, exactly the same as the GG original.

I am sure Ishy checked this to when he's used the Mont wheel in his Sherco and the Scorpa.

Edited by Subira

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 years later...