Ahrma Upgrade ?

29r

I think you're being too hard on them ole' boys. In fact this years AHRMA event at the Farm, had a two foot log submerged in a muck hole and the series of sidehill root nadgery turns too back it up, just on section 2. Also the level of difficulty will vary with the location. A great number of the guys who ride AHRMA vintage trials probably couldn't cut it riding NATC nationals even in the support classes. This does not make them inferior, only different. This is what they like. I think what these guys are trying to tell us is, In order to really understand what trials fundamentally is at it's purest, is found at the controls of a big british single such as an Ariel or BSA, pre unit trials bike. The flow and rythum, the finesse that is involved while turning on an off camber rooted up mudbank, between two trees, while retarding the spark just a fuzz to enhance the traction of the giant beast, making the job look easy with a dazzling clean, and getting a smile out of someone who saw it. In this guys eyes it would be shameful to touch the clutch, but to use the great big English flywheels for that super down low chug chug. These are ways for these guys to glimpse this elusive moment of perfection as they see it. I do understand this, but since it does take all kinds, I am just pleasing myself. I don't choose to afford that bike, because it isn't my thing, but at it's core THIS IS what AHRMA founders are trying to pass on to us before they are dead. Show a little respect, these guys will be gone soon enough and then after that it will be us. We really aren't that different.

The twinshocks will come eventually. Right now I think allot of people miss the point about what AHRMA is trying to be and to do.

I'm strangely aroused by Jay's description of handling a large British single. Is that wrong?

As nice and politically correct as that was, even at a premier event such as The Farm there are what, 2 or 3% of all the riders on such bikes? So the rules are configured to support a tiny minority of the riders?

With a vast majority of the riders on Modern Classic bikes (pre-1979), shouldn't trials be directed at them? Until then vintage trials may continue to be the redheaded stepchild to vintage motocross.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'd like to see that!!

capture7192005102602_pm.jpg

Young Whippersnappers! But yea, most that old stuff does'nt really work too well. Heavy, no brakes, clutches suck, etc!

I happen to Like long dabs, though! Suits my style, which is not really that modern hop and splatter stuff, more dab and drag! :rotfl:

Who all are coming to the Ahrma Mosteller Cup? It should be great fun. I have been helping Fred, Dan, and Bob set sections. There will be a wide variety of terrain. Everything from creeks, mud, logs, mud, (oh did I already mention mud), mud, rocks, roots, mud, slick grass, mud, concrete, mud, and/or a combination will be in each section.

Look forward to seeing you all there

Doug Wilson

Who all are coming to the Ahrma Mosteller Cup? It should be great fun. I have been helping Fred, Dan, and Bob set sections. There will be a wide variety of terrain. Everything from creeks, mud, logs, mud, (oh did I already mention mud), mud, rocks, roots, mud, slick grass, mud, concrete, mud, and/or a combination will be in each section.

Doug Wilson

Not this year but we may make the trip next year. Between that event and I believe Miller, we figured it would be a 10 day trip with 5 days of trials. Or something like that. Don't bother asking how much diesel will get consumed...

Doug Wilson

Gee, I might consider coming if I thought there would be some mud!

Gee, I might consider coming if I thought there would be some mud!

Darrell,

Perhaps not as much mud as at Centerville a few years back but still plenty of mud. During summer time in Wyoming it is so dry that you have to prime yourself to spit. I guess that is why we are so excited to see some mud. We rode the first two loops of our last trials at Limestone Mountain in the rain. By the end of the third loop it was dusty again. All the rain did was wash the dust off of the rocks and make the logs slick.

Ciao

Doug

It was posted that rules changes were being submitted to the Governing body ( Twin shock/Drum Pre 1985) and those concerned should respond to their representatives in favor of the motion . Also that TLR's are not included .

Well...Okay ....ITSA (yeah , okay pun intended ) start . Nothing ventured , nothing gained .

I think with the new Trials Coordainator , that there can be improvement . But it takes your voice !

Thought's ?

Leaked from the next Vintage Views:

13.1 Classes

1. Rule 13.1:Add the classification of

No one can do much until the reasons for voting "nay" are given.

If they have a valid reason like Nationals being oversubscribed due to the twinshocks, that's one thing. "We decided "no" and we aren't giving details" is quite another.

My personal impression is that there are often some personal biases at play in AHRMA. In the past some of those have appeared to be "anti-Japanese bikes" and others have been "we just don't like that kind of technology, even if it was in the period, and so it is out."

Unless you have details given on why things are considered good/bad there can't be any meaningful discussion. Hopefully some details will be printed in VV so that people can write in to respond to it.

Otherwise, people will need to write in to point out that since AHRMA is a membership organization there needs to be more detail given so the members can give some informed comments.

If AHRMA was a private company owned by XXX, or a non-profit structured to not have members other than the Board of Directors (I've been on one of those) then a reason such as "XXX has decided s/he doesn't want to do things that way" is legitimate. But AHRMA is set up as a membership organization so "the members" do have some rights to know what their elected representatives are doing. Rules are not the same as confidential interactions with employees.

cheers,

Michael

No one can do much until the reasons for voting "nay" are given.

If they have a valid reason like Nationals being oversubscribed due to the twinshocks, that's one thing. "We decided "no" and we aren't giving details" is quite another.

My personal impression is that there are often some personal biases at play in AHRMA. In the past some of those have appeared to be "anti-Japanese bikes" and others have been "we just don't like that kind of technology, even if it was in the period, and so it is out."

Unless you have details given on why things are considered good/bad there can't be any meaningful discussion. Hopefully some details will be printed in VV so that people can write in to respond to it.

Otherwise, people will need to write in to point out that since AHRMA is a membership organization there needs to be more detail given so the members can give some informed comments.

If AHRMA was a private company owned by XXX, or a non-profit structured to not have members other than the Board of Directors (I've been on one of those) then a reason such as "XXX has decided s/he doesn't want to do things that way" is legitimate. But AHRMA is set up as a membership organization so "the members" do have some rights to know what their elected representatives are doing. Rules are not the same as confidential interactions with employees.

cheers,

Michael

Heh, yeah, that's how AHRMA works... try a monarchy with a dash of nepotism.

No, there is no reasons given. Nor will there be. Things are never that transparent. That's not how the real world works.

There will be no discussion, no debate. This is old fashion politicking, got to call your "representatives" and hope they vote your way. And I do me hope.