1987- Fantic, Merlin, Mecatecno, Garelli, Jcm (usa Gp)

I actually rode in that trial! There is a section which contains a leap down into a rubble pile on a steep downhill followed by an uphill shot at the great big wall. As I was walking the section, a woman behind me whispered to her friend, "This guy's a squid!" She was probably right, and I really didn't take offense at all, but smiled to myself and acted as if I didn't hear her. Upon leaping off that step, which doesn't look like much in the video, The aluminum cups on the ends of the damping rods inside the forks, were shattered into small bits! I found out upon seal replacement much later. It was in the low 90's that day and very humid. It was like riding trials in a furnace. I had never seen sections of this magnitude at that time. These same sections are probably in use today as club level expert sections. They were much harder on these kinds of bikes.

Edited by JayLael

That is an interisting video, gives perspective. As best I recall, in "84-85, I was doing my last stand comeback attempt on a watercooled Honda CR ballbuster that screamed! Most them trials bikes nearly weighed as much as the CR with air cooled rattlecans with little power and really heavy flywheels!

Very interisting bikes, seems none worked very well, yet had a seat! Coming back to the realm, after not really even seeing a trials bike since the '70's, in the year 2000 I had to really search to find things locally. Just wanted a playbike that served my old memories of trials, like the Bultaco or old Yam.

What I found was amazing, even in Y2K, the Gassers and Sherco products were hot! Fact is, a good rider can smoke you on one today! A bit dissapointed about the seat thing, though! Actually, the new bikes being costly at the time, I took a good deal on a '98 Scorpa Easy 280 just to play. Yes it was different and seemed bulletproof. Such POWER! Nothing easy about it, you had to ride that thing! This is fun if I do not kill myself! These guys are nuts!

That was very interesting for me to watch ... Having been away from trials since 74 or so ,and not getting back into it till 05' when I found my current mistress , I take it this is right about the point when the riding styles started to change drastically into what we have today ! It's cool to see some of the evolution on film . But at my age and situation I'll stick to my trusty old school Fantic and our good old tried and true no-stop rules ! And like senoir copy , at that point in time I was rocketing a 400 mono across the desert in one of , if not the last oficial Barstow to Vegas desert races ... And that was fun too !

Glenn :huh:

If only the big 4 Jap bike makers had kept promoting trials here ... The world may have been a different place ! (at least my world ...)

i fell in love with those wheels on the mechatecno,i took loads of photos when they came to uk world trial,was it in wales?i wanted to make some for my tl125 at the time,i was thinking of useing rear wheel from a honda 125 twin but i was stuck with front wheel to match,then they got banned what a shame.

Not sure why people are thinking this was the dawn of the trick riding era - front and rear wheel hopping and feet up reversing was in full flow well before the the first Yam mono hit the dealers floors. The FIM changed the rules from the original 'if forward motion ceases it's a 5' to 'anything goes' in about 80-81. By the time the 240 Fantic became available sections in centre and national events (UK) were already being marked out so that hopping was required to get around the tight turns and shortened run-ups to steps.

Although these air-cooled monos are not from my favourite era and I find most of the bikes themselves pretty ugly, it was still nice to see the video. Favourite bike on there is probably the Garelli, I always liked those, twinshock or mono.

Not sure why people are thinking this was the dawn of the trick riding era - front and rear wheel hopping and feet up reversing was in full flow well before the the first Yam mono hit the dealers floors.

Maybe, but at that time I had never seen hopping, a few riders could nose wheelie turn, or back up, I live in a pretty small world and don't get out enough

hard to believe that was over 20 years ago, those were some cool bikes for sure, I still have my '87 Beta, it was cool to see the guys hoping, not too many could hop back then

I found myself "hoping" quite a bit, that I would get anything less than a five! :huh:

I found myself "hoping" quite a bit, that I would get anything less than a five! :D

Hopping? Soooo easy! In my dreams! Not in the trials! :huh:

I spend more time than not in pure survival mode in the sections! Just get OUT! ALIVE!

Those would make good intermediate or expert sections today, by modern standards, nothing for a pro!

Edited by copemech