1. 1. Do you believe in Ghosts

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people have to be flat on their back to look up.

It seems to me most atheist try harder to force their ideas than Christians do to lead people to Christ. Is it my imagination? Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but some of you folks are coming across as pompous know it alls and and you seem to think folks that believe in God are stupid. The same folks also seem very condescending to anyone in the USA (unless they used to live in the UK). Now I realize this could be just the way the written word comes across compared to the spoken word. I've been around most of you folks all the way back to Trials Action, I've never seen an American on the boards take jabs at another country out of the blue. I've seen our cousins in the UK basically try to start arguments MANY times with jabs at religion and US politics. So do you folks just love to argue? Do you hate a place you don't live in because of what you THINK you know about us? What's the deal?

Some people have to be flat on their back to look up.

It seems to me most atheist try harder to force their ideas than Christians do to lead people to Christ. Is it my imagination?

It might just seem like that from your point of view. Believe me, through years in the armed forces and during the years afterwards, I've had my fair share of what was almost religious bullying. I've had disciplinary interviews because I didn't want to go to church on a weekend. I was happy to do any other crap jobs, but was still seen as being a troublemaker, despite the rest of my career running on 'O' confidentials (outstanding reports). Didn't do me any good at all. Is that right?

You brought the religion in to a mixed belief group, bu don't have anything to add to the debate? Why discuss it?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but some of you folks are coming across as pompous know it alls and and you seem to think folks that believe in God are stupid.

Some of your comments have been pretty patronising. Should I lie down and say sorry for my beliefs, while you're allowed to air yours? Ah no, ours aren't beliefs, in your words ours are a "Lack of beliefs".

I put my side of the story over and you say "Why debate it? Your too smart for religion. Gook luck my friend."

If we don't agree with your views, you go back to your smug "I'll pray for you" tpe comments. Don't pray for me, I'm fine on my own, pray for the poor feckers around the world that need your help, half of them in that state because of religion.

If you got rid of your superiority complex maybe you wouldn't attract the 'pompous' remarks.

The same folks also seem very condescending to anyone in the USA (unless they used to live in the UK). Now I realize this could be just the way the written word comes across compared to the spoken word. I've been around most of you folks all the way back to Trials Action, I've seen our cousins in the UK basically try to start arguments MANY times with jabs at religion and US politics. So do you folks just love to argue?

Politics and religion are fairly emotive subjects normally. If you don't like debating them it's probably not best to throw them in to a worldwide forum. Wherever you throw yor views you're going to get some people who disagree with you.

Do you hate a place you don't live in because of what you THINK you know about us? What's the deal?

I've never seen an American take jabs at another country out of the blue.

I'll just leave that one. Pot/kettle, and we're no better, we've followed you into every country you've jabbed at. I don't have a problem with the US my comments were to you, not to the US.

It's gone from tongue in cheek banter to full scale arguments and whinging about being picked on, so I think I'll just feck off. First time I've been in a majority as an evil non believer, and you've gone all sulky on me. :D

I'm out of here.....

Edited by bikespace

My statements were not all directed at you, I've just been curious about things over the last 6 or so years. I didn't mean for this topic to go into religion as much as it has although I'm to blame for it. Pardon my ignorance of the UK, I hope to make it over some day (Scotland in May is nice I hear).

I've never seen any one from that side of the pond stand up for religion, is there that few church going people over there or are they just not on here?

I don't expect you to ever agree with me. This discussion has been going on around the world a lot longer than a fews days, eh? Sounds like we're both pretty hard headed to me. I'm sure we'd get along fine as long as didn't discuss religion and politics.

BTW, I didn't know I was coming off sounding like I have a superiority complex. I'll go back and re read the thread.

Since we are allies militarily, thank you for your service.

Andy, thanks for your patience, I'm sure it's wearing thin.

Awww you've gone and made me like you now :D

I have to admit, that I'm sometimes a little forceful when defending my non religious views :D and you may be taking the brunt of my previous experiences with religion, but I don't even mention it to someone who doesn't mention it to me.

I do try to stay somewhat balanced - my kids don't really know my views to be honest, and I do hear them come home with some junk that they think is 'gospel' (pun intended). One of their teachers is an ex nun and doesn't seem to be able to do balanced. I absolutely agree that they need to learn about religion at school - all religions and what people believe, but not be told that one or the other is true.

This is probably a slightly biassed view, but church going is not massive in the UK, certainly nowhere near US levels.

Generally people in UK aren't very outspoken on religion, or lack of it, but there's been hundreds of years of persecution, so I think old habits die hard. If there wasn't any stigma behind being atheist I think there would be a lot more.

My religion is conscience - I believe I'm just as good a man as most religious people - I don't need religion to know what is right and wrong, and my conscience doesn't forgive me as easily as some people believe their religion does.

I do worry that the world might be even worse without the big stick of religion, but I've got to admit I'd like to see a trial period ;)

And finally, I'm pretty sure we'd get on fine in 'real life'. I very rarely have a bone with anyone, and you seem like a genuine good guy.

Now can we go back to arguing :)

Just joking ;)

Oooh 5 pages talking about ''Ghosts'' thats.......................................

SCAREY :D;):)

As long as it doesn't give you the willies.....but that's another thread.. :D

I don't want to poke my nose into the debate between Bikespace and Brian R but I think one comment that has been missed regarding the differences in religion in the US and the UK.

Religion doesn't have the same media presence over here that it has in the US and that's a big factor, there is a "god" channel which I've seen on sky why flicking through for something to watch, it was worse than my two granny's put together. Their biggest regret had to be that I never went into religion, they thought that was the perfect career for me....my Sundays are for something else.

I'm afraid my views on religion would probably be described as heretic at best, a few hundred years ago I'd have been on the short list for the red hot pokers. I've always viewed religion as a way that the church could scare the $h!t out of people and that's true from the earliest days of the church or whatever denomination you happen to follow and when you look back through the annals of history most religions have had some rather dodgy rituals that would scare people into doing anything. The inquistion was a good one the inquisitors couldn't draw blood but barbecueing a few hundred heretics was perfectly acceptable, ritual murders in certain Jewish sects, the Christian crusades you name it every denomination has something it should be a little concerned about. The muslim fundamentalists have the right idea though, they seem happy to blow themselves up to achieve their aims.

This fear that the religious leaders held over the populus was purely a way of creating power and wealth and that still stands true today when you see some of these evangelical ministers in the US talk. We'll bring down the wrath of god on your head unless you donate $500 to the cause....so they can go and boff their half dozen mistresses after the show all in the name of the Church. Power, wealth and hypocrasy!!

I guess, back to the Bikespace/BrianR discussion, that the respective views of religion in the US and the UK can never be reconciled because like our cultures they are very diverse and the media has had a huge role in that over the last 75 years. Everyone is entitled to their own views...we should remember that.

Getting too serious this discussion so.........some gags ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A minister parked his car in a no-parking zone in a large city because he was short of time and couldn't find a space with a meter. Then he put a note under the windshield wiper that read: 'I have circled the block 10 times. If I don't park here, I'll miss my appointment. Forgive us our trespasses.'

When he returned, he found a citation from a police officer along with this note 'I've circled this block for 10 years. If I don't give you a ticket I'll lose my job. Lead us not into temptation.'

---------------------------------

Sunday after church, a Mom asked her very young daughter what the lesson was about. The daughter answered, 'Don't be scared, you'll get your quilt.'

Needless to say, the Mom was perplexed. Later in the day, the pastor stopped by for tea and the Mom asked him what that morning's Sunday school lesson was about. He said 'Be not afraid, thy comforter is coming.'

------------------------------------

The minister was preoccupied with thoughts of how he was going to ask the congregation to come up with more money than they were expecting for repairs to the church building. Therefore, he was annoyed to find that the regular organist was sick and a substitute had been brought in at the last minute. The substitute wanted to know what to play.

'Here's a copy of the service,' he said impatiently. 'But, you'll have to think of something to play after I make the announcement about the finances.'

During the service, the minister paused and said, 'Brothers and Sisters, we are in great difficulty; the roof repairs cost twice as much as we expected and we need $4,000 more. Any of you who can pledge $100 or more, please stand up.'

At that moment, the substitute organist played 'The Star Spangled Banner.' And that is how the substitute became the regular organist!

Edited by Slapshot 3

Anyway back to ghosts

I go to bed one night but wake up in the early hours to see Ghandi in the corner of my bedroom.

He was smiling but I was really scared, I blinked, he was still there, I blinked again he was gone.

about two weeks later it happened again, exactly the same.

on both nights I'd been drinking guiness at the local and then stopped off for a cheesburger on the way home.

I failed biology but I have been told that cheese makes you dream, I think the combination of guiness and cheese was too much for my brain (maybe guiness = keihin ??) and I was still asleep but thought I was awake.

Back to religion

the fulwell branch of the church of Ghandi starts next week and any donations will be welcome

our brethren are hoping to set up churches in other locations...... using your contributions.

apparently Ghandi has also been sighted in

Fort William

Sheffield Arena

Richmond ( although this is apparently some other Gods country ?)

Aberfeldy ( what a fantastic trial that was)

once we have a paypal account I'll let you know, we will accept prayers for new carpets, TVs, trials bikes and curtains.

regards

the right reverend baldilocks

ps I have no time for religion........whatsoever. I went to the states twice and had a great time though.

Edited by Baldilocks

Anyway back to ghosts

I go to bed one night but wake up in the early hours to see Ghandi in the corner of my bedroom.

He was smiling but I was really scared, I blinked, he was still there, I blinked again he was gone.

about two weeks later it happened again, exactly the same.

on both nights I'd been drinking guiness at the local and then stopped off for a cheesburger on the way home.

I failed biology but I have been told that cheese makes you dream, I think the combination of guiness and cheese was too much for my brain (maybe guiness = keihin ??) and I was still asleep but thought I was awake.

Back to religion

the fulwell branch of the church of Ghandi starts next week and any donations will be welcome

our brethren are hoping to set up churches in other locations...... using your contributions.

apparently Ghandi has also been sighted in

Fort William

Sheffield Arena

Richmond ( although this is apparently some other Gods country ?)

Aberfeldy ( what a fantastic trial that was)

once we have a paypal account I'll let you know, we will accept prayers for new carpets, TVs, trials bikes and curtains.

regards

the right reverend baldilocks

ps I have no time for religion........whatsoever. I went to the states twice and had a great time though.

Hallelujah brother !

Interesting.......

Allah or the Lord Jesus Christ?

The Muslim religion is the fastest growing religion in the UK .

Last month I attended my annual training session that's required for maintaining my prison security clearance. During the training session there was a presentation by three speakers representing the Roman Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths, who explained each of their beliefs.

I was particularly interested in what the Islamic Imam had to say. The Imam gave a great presentation of the basics of Islam, complete with a video. After the presentations, time was provided for questions and answers.

When it was my turn, I directed my question to the Imam and asked: 'Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that most Imams and clerics of Islam have declared a holy jihad [Holy war] against the infidels of the world and, that by killing an infidel, (which is a command to all Muslims) they are assured of a place in heaven. If that's the case, can you give me the definition of an infidel?'

There was no disagreement with my statements and, without hesitation, he replied, 'Non-believers! '

I responded, 'So, let me make sure I have this straight. All followers of Allah have been commanded to kill everyone who is not of your faith so they can have a place in heaven. Is that correct?'

The expression on his face changed. 'Yes.'

I then stated, 'Well, sir, I have a real problem trying to imagine Pope Benedict commanding all Catholics to kill those of your faith or Dr. Stanley ordering all Protestants to do the same in order to guarantee them a place in heaven!'

I continued, 'I also have a problem with being your 'friend' when you and your brother clerics are telling your followers to kill me! Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have your Allah, who tells you to kill me in order for you to go to heaven, or my Jesus who tells me to love you because I am going to heaven and He wants you to be there with me?'

You could have heard a pin drop. Needless to say, the organizers and/or promoters of the 'Diversification' training seminar were not happy with Rick's way of dealing with the Islamic Imam and exposing the truth about the Muslims' beliefs.

In twenty years there will be enough Muslim voters in the U.K. To elect a government of their choice, complete with Sharia Law

I think everyone in the U.K. should be required to read this, but with the Liberal justice system, liberal media and the political correctness madness, there is no way this will be widely publicised.