Lakes 2 Day

doogle

For me the lakes clubman course is about spot on, there were three or four sections that i would describe as "iffy" the rest fine. Its just a hard trial & yes if you think its too much theres always the option to observe!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here's my view, having ridden the lakes about 6 or 7 times now:

It is way harder than it used to be....and therefore more of a struggle to get around for some of the boys....but some of the boys are getting older and not as fit they used to be...the sport moves on....I do think that desoite this the clubman route was too hard this year.

I agree that it is not as enjoyable because most sections were taking marks and there was therefore no need for those 'extra' technical or hard ones......they may not be laid out dangerously but late in the day when people get tired seemingly easy things become dangerous.....not all riders are used to riding two days on roads and tracks...

I have finished in the top 30 before now at the Lakes (Clubmans course!)....but a bad number combined with little practice recently meant I had a bad ride...thats the way it goes...still enjoyed it though...

If there is no one in charge then what is the Clerk of the Course doing?????? I am on the committee of the Manx 2 day and for us the C of C designs the route, he will then decide which groups are to be the hard or easy ones, and will then spend a bit of time talking with the guys he wants to set out them sections about the level of difficulty etc to make sure that each group isn't set out stupidly!!! It works...and no one seems to complain....most people have a smile on their face come Sunday evening...And it gives everyone the chance to have more cleans that fives.... :o

In fact I was riding round with our C of C and he won't be going back to ride again....didn't enjoy it as it was too hard......and he knows what he was talking about!

The other thing the lakes suffers from is badly thought out sections.....I mean the ground was so wet....but on more than a few sections no thought was given to this which made actually getting into the sections nearly impossible and a waste of effort....I am thinking particularly on Saturday of the 10 or so sections before lunch....waste of space....and there was others, including several on Sunday afternoon....

If you have 180 riders the least you can do is let everyone have a fair crack at the sections....and just because it was in last year(and the year before...) don't be afraid to put something different in!!!

I was talking to Birks on friday after he had finished laying out his sections....he asked us for feedback on what we thought.....he did the first 25 or so on Saturday.....not sure he expected the feedback given from most people...

Overall thoughit was good.....but the orgainisers could do with getting a focus on what they want the Trial to be......is it a hard end of season National designed only to attract the top riders.....or is it an good, end of season trial with a social element designed to give everyone a cracking and enjoyable weekend??????

I know which I prefer :lol:

please find my report for the event below, ive been honest and constructive, dont spose you see many reports, so thought id show you mine, not the usual " nice day, lovely trial, can i come back next year" type report.

Lakes Two Day Trial 16th & 17th October 2004

It is with a certain amount of difficulty that I write the report for this event. Whilst the format is superb, and the team running the back room, for the event is very good, it has been let down badly by some of the section plotting.

This event again attracted a full entry list, being 180 riders, with nearly all the countries top riders, and the club needs both congratulating on this, and the ability to get the land that they do. The trial ran smoothly from start to finish, and this year was without incident, but only by luck, having seen a lot of the sections.

The sections were too hard on both courses, and lacked thought in places. An October weekend and you are using grassy and muddy bankings! And with all that rock and stream about? Also sections seemed to been found, that were good for a hard course, but no easy course, so it either used a good part of the hard course, or was put on slippy banks, that turned out harder. A certain section at Newfield could only be regarded as ridiculous, and was luckily pulled by a club steward prior to a rider riding it. Thought has got to be put into health and safety, risk assessment to riders, and the ability to get first aid there. This isn

It was noticeable that Nick Shield didn't finish the Trial.

I think he hurt himself, but when I was speaking to him at his wife's section before sunday lunch he hadn't been enjoying it so made the decision to give up easier.

If he is feeling like that as the winner for the past two years then what chance have the rest got.

I have been watching this topic with interest and now feel I will have to comment.

I thought the sections on the clubman route were exellent (for me) but at the same time realise that they should be aimed at clubmen (to hard this year ?).

I now find my self (as do others !) over 40 & over weight and now find the expert route on national trials to hard, I ride for enjoyment !

The problem is that more people like myself are migrating onto the clubman route, so causing the orginisers to stiffen the clubman route up.

The answer would be to ease the hard route (i.e. take out the big steps, as they do not take marks of the top boys)

or do a 50/50 route with a mixture of hard and easy route sections.

As for not enjoying the trial on sunday, the main reason for that was I was full of Flu ( off work untill the following thursday) and was knackered after 2 groups.

The big get off (landing on my head, looked quite funny by all accounts)

was the straw that broke the camels back, and I give up while I was still in one piece.

Maybe if the sections were not as hard I may have finished ?, I was riding quite well but was an accident looking for somewhere to happen!

I am not criticising the orginizers/course plotters as I mark out trials myself and know what a thankless task it is.

I know most a the lads that mark out this event and I am sure they will take the comments from this years trial on board, and apply them next year (I would agree that the manx 2 day would be a good yard stick as both routes were spot on this year).

N.S.

Good to here it from the horses mouth so to speak.....

I also was suffering from a heavy cold prior to the trial and forgot how much this affects you.....combined with not touching the bike since the Manx!!!

I did also hear style marks were awarded....well done!! :D

Don't get me wrong I had a good time, but my main issue is that with the amount of excellent natural terrain available some of the sections didn't make the best use of it.

Hopefully the guys will take the feedback in the way it is meant i.e. constructively and make the trial even better for next year!!

• 2 weeks later...