Lakes 2 Day

doogle

Mrs Shields section 38 not dangerous on the Saturday? :o

The muddy ones on the bankside (13ish?), Shaun morris 3'd the second Connor and Jarvis 3'd the fourth in front of me and the clubman route was the same on that, cleanable?

Edited by Nigel Dabster

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I observed section 3 Saturday and section 35 and 4 Sunday and 26 and take it from me, the moans from the clubmen far outweighed the congratulations. That's why I didn't ride this year, last year it was too hard and this year was even harder. Those who struggled through my sections got a three, if I had been spot on most would have had fives - but who wants an argument standing on a Lakeland hillside. In fact I thoroughly enjoyed my two days, probably more than if I had ridden. Glad to say nobody moaned about their score (except one) and everybody had a kind word - thanks lads. Out at Scott observing on Saturday - longing to see new Mont perform. The Lakes problem is that there's nobody in overall charge. All the locals lend a hand but seem to try and put on the hardest group which results in all groups being hard. But I'm an old moaner, so what do I know - I know the Reeth 3 day and manx are brilliant and will drag me back for years to come - as a rider, not observer.

Your sections weren't too bad, I did 1 3 3 3 in them. I also felt I could have cleaned them all, sadly the same couldn't be said for an awful lot of sections. If the daft one's on the bank sides just before Saturday lunch were in the becks instead & the group before the finish were much simpler instead of trick it would be a whole lot fairer for the club lads.

& before PB says out I did talk to the C of C when he was observing at the daftest section of the day No 34 Saturday.

:o

ive put a quick portion of results on, and said its easy to punch the c of c here, after someone claiming what they would have said to him, had they seen him, when he was there to be seen. point made? :D

i cant say to much till ive said it officially, but i totally agree with sparky and hillary(did i say that!!! m....) :lol:

one thing i will say is, the manx is a brilliant trial to copy!

(and socially, appollogies for being off form this year!! lol)

remember im not scared to comment, and im not hiding behind a nickname.

enough said by me, till i get my opportunity.

I found the lakes pretty tough going. I managed to loose more marks than i did on 2 days in the scottish-the scottish is'nt really a clubman event as is designed to take marks from the worlds best.

However the lakes had a clubman course and should have been a wee bit easier so that the majority could have been happy. :D

Personally i thought it was a cracking event, a real challenge but it is a shame for all those riders who found it too hard and didnt enjoy it.

after all we ride for the enjoyment and its dissappointing when its not fun! :lol:

one thing i did find really really annoying :o is when the national route had an easier ride through some of the sections than the clubman did- perhaps open up the clubman sections and give us choice of riding through the national flags- for the riders who fancy it?

i know which i would prefer when faced with a biggish waterfall in the stream or a greasy horrible grass bank that no one is getting up!!

It was my first Lakes. I entered knowing it had a reputation for being tough & it lived up to expectations. Saturday was just about okay, apart from the greasey hillside sections just before lunch.

Sunday's hazzards cranked up a notch or three in the afternoon & for me it was a case of save some energy & take fives on maybe 8 or so sections. Probably wise as I still lost a few on time. Overall I enjoyed the trial & will return, but I guess the C. o C.s need to consider what level of rider they wish to attract to the clubman route and try to achieve some consistentcy in the severity of the sections.

I've added a few pics to my gallery. Didn't really have time for photos, all a bit if a rush on the day.

Have been chatting to a mate tonight that didn't go to trial and his mates had been on to him telling him how hard it was. There is an answer, as I said before, somebody has to be in overall charge and put his neck on the line and tell his section plotters exactly what is wanted. If he wants it megahard, then fair enough, then at least it's a conscious decision to make it ultra tough, equally if he wants it a bit easier, or even dead easy, then again, it's a definite decision. As it is now, nobody knows before the start what is out there waiting for them. I think the Lakes will survive , but have no idea who could, can, will, might have the bottle to offer himself up for the job, or will get elected for it. It's almost a no-win situation now, fancy putting yourself up for the job next year with this year's comments ringing in your ears.

I think the Lakes will survive , but have no idea who could, can, will, might have the bottle to offer himself up for the job, or will get elected for it. It's almost a no-win situation now, fancy putting yourself up for the job next year with this year's comments ringing in your ears.

If the clubman route was eased next year, I'd put money on there being just as many people complaining that the the trial was not enough of a challenge as have complained that it is too hard this year. It is definitely a no win situation putting on any kind of trial, let alone one of this magnitude. I wouldn't like the job of plotting 80 sections and trying to judge it right, especially after my sections were deemed over the top by some in our centre trial last week.... they weren't though and it does rile when you've spent two Saturdays hacking out new hazards and leaves you thinking b####cks to it.

My own thought on the Lakes is that yes, it was hard, it is a national after all and should offer more of a challenge than a centre trial, but I enjoyed the weekend and with a few exceptions I don't think it was too far away from ideal. Just a handful of sections could do with modification, such as Saturday's much loved grassy banks before lunch and a few others where trick riding would be required to achieve cleans, but out of 80 sections there will always be a few mistakes. There were plenty that were easily cleanable and if you are sure you can't clean a section, one or two well thought out pre-planned dabs could get you through. Admittedly there will always be some sections for the average club rider that will generally be a 3 at best, there have to be, but if you just happen to hit the right line and achieve a better score than 3, even a magical clean which does happen, the sense of achievement is high and it is one up on your mates who have sprogged through it.

In terms of someone taking charge, I don't know the individuals involved in staging the trial, but surely this is what the COC does and as has already been mentioned, he was around most of the groups (uncannily, always sections where I spun out, remarking through a grin that he thought TYZ Yams gripped) and was aware that some sections were asking a lot and I'm sure this will be addressed next year.

It is noticeable that in the last 2 or 3 years, sections are tightening up a little and with the natural terrain in the Lakes, there is perhaps no need for it. I'd certainly prefer more stream sections than rock outcrops, grassy banks etc. but getting the right mix must be difficult and I have no idea what problems the club may have in gaining permission to use land. I would definitely ride it again without any changes next week if I had the chance. Trials like this are too few and far between.

I realise not everyone will share this view but what is required if people are really unhappy is constructive suggestion to the club on where sections were deemed unsuitable. Stinging criticism will just deflate the efforts of those who work hard to stage the trial - look how many stood out on the moors all day just to ensure gates were closed - and possibly discourage them from doing it again. As Hillary says, who else would fancy taking on the job next year knowing what you may be in for if the standard is judged wrong by the riders. It would be criminal if a trial like this was lost - long may it continue - just don't make it any harder...... :o

Both courses should be eased a hell of a lot in my opinion, if someone like Jarvis is dropping 38 its way over the top. I remember in 1999 Lampkin cleaned the whole trial yet really enjoyed it, and it seemed a lot more rideable for everyone else too. If they ease the hard course some of the top riders of the clubmen course might (should !) move up to the hard course, then the clubmen course could be eased making it more rideable for real clubmen. There is no need to make the trial as stupid as it is getting, remember 99% of the riders have to go to work on the monday.

An intermediate course would be good at no real extra marking out, which then leaves the facility to have the mega few sections if the coc wants them, and some of the clubman (experts) could do the inter. An inter course would be mostly hard course with the hardest 8 or so sections not ridden in favour of the easy course. Same sections with 2 routes.

The clerk of the course seems to be getting quite a bit of stick on this subject, yet its not him sticking the flags in. A few local experts set most of it out and some other people who barely ride in trials anymore. They arent looking at it from a clubmen riders point of view.

Im sure top expert riders don't won't it easier as it will make the scores closier. Europe shouldn't be the only place our top lads have to go to loose some marks.

Same old story, if you thought it was too hard, don't go back next year and let people who can ride get an entry! sorry truth hurts.

As long as the sections aren't dangerous then the clubman can't moan.

Ok some parts of sections may appear to look easier if left open to go on the harder route, but then the complaints would be "im riding the same route as Jarvis e.t.c"

Well done to the organiser another classic one lap trial continues

I am a local expert in the area where the lakes is set out and i plot 5 sections each year. the Hobkinground Group sect 29-33 on sat. this is the only part of the trial i am involved with.

as shercool said different groups are set out by lots of different people and i think everyone wants there group to be the hardest which causes the problem of it being too hard!

33 was a tester for the clubmen i thought but the others i tried to make easy but enough of a challange to make them interesting. hope this was the case for you all.

let me know what you thought :D:o:D:(:lol: