Rockshocks

millerme

I bought probably one of the last pair of shocks that Pete Edmondson produced. The company changed hands in August this year and I know 2 people who have bought since, one was supplied a pair of shocks with a different spring in each, he took them back and had them re-assembled but is still not entirely happy with them. Another friend is finding his still need 'begging in'.

Has anyone else experience of recenltly bought Rocks?

The manufacturer of the components hasn't changed, I know who makes them and they are very well made. The only thing that has changed is the assembler/retailer.

It's horses for courses as I have had a pair (from pete) and they didn't suit me at all

I have had a pair about 18mth, Light , very well made, easy to service

seals and 0 ring are easy to obtain ( though i have not needed to replace either) i have bent one shaft (very big drop..) so made a few spares,

easy to change oil , so you could make the return very quick , or slow it down,

just measure what comes out , i use ATF right up to straight 40 oil

two big phospher bronze bushes and a nylon "piston ring" after much abuse and pressure washing, show no sign of wear

very happy with mine

Someone I know makes the components but has nothing to do with assembly or set up. That was down to Pete and now the new owner.

No idea what the shimming was when Pete was building them but they weren't tailored to specific rider styles or weight. He used ATF rather than suspension fluid. Mine had 2 shims on compression and 3 on rebound. The piston damping characteristics are different for compression and rebound (ie; it has more holes for one than the other, can't remember which way round though)

They are easy to work on if you like messing - much easier and quicker than Falcons to assemble/reassemble and you don't need gas. As I said before, they are well made and maintenance friendly, the top unscrews and you just pull the rod and piston assembly out. Changing the shims is a bit fiddly to get them positioned correctly when tightening the nut that holds the piston on, as the whole lot wants to turn and you have to keep the shims positioned correctly. If you buy additional pistons you can experiment with oil flow by altering the holes it passes through or just add/reduce the number of shims. Or change the oil viscosity. You can experiment in many different ways but obviously it all takes time and you need somewhere to try the bike rather than over a few bumps in the lawn to see if the changes have worked.

Biggest problem for me when Pete was selling them was the spring rates, he just hadn't got any that were right for me, all were too soft. The damping was way too soft for me as well and I don't have the time or ground to sort stuff like that out. Obviously I can't comment on the set up from the current owner as I haven't got any. My personal choice is Falcon as I know what to ask for in terms of spring rate and damping and that's how they come. To get the rockshocks set up like that would take me far too much time.

The piston damping characteristics are different for compression and rebound (ie; it has more holes for one than the other, can't remember which way round though)

Whoops - that should have said the damping characteristics of the SHIMMING, not piston. Shims come with one or two holes for oil flow, one type was used on compression, the other on rebound but they can be used in any number or combination. Personal choice in the end.

Never heard of DOT shocks, what are they?

Edited by Woody

Please explain the tagline?

These are conventional oil shocks, they have DOT as manufactures / model name, black body, crome springs. Fitted to my B40. Purchased from Jimmy Morton Motorcycle at Mauchline, for trials. Cant really fault them.

I sent an email enquiry to Rock shocks, and the owner was good enough to call me and discuss requirements. Makes a change this day and age for companies to follow up so well.

They certainly look pretty well put together, and if owner rebuildable then thats a bonus.

Might give them a go myself.

Wayne....