Which Bike? For A Older Beginner ?

kluson

Hi Everyone.

I had convinced myself that I wanted a Montesa 2001+. There seem to be fewer of these about though. Everything on E bay seems to be in the North.

Which 250 would be good for me, coming back to trials after a very long (30 years) lay off. A guy from the forum gave me some good advice about the Montesa, and he had one for sale which I have to say tempts me.. I need to free my garage up by selling a car which currently lives in there.

I was told that the Beats could be a handful, have they calmed them down in the 21st Century, could I calm it down with lower gearing and a slow throttle? I heard that second hand Gas gas can be trouble, from a build quality point, how about Sherco, they don't seem to be so popular but I saw a dealer had a 20005 250 which they said was an ideal starter bike.

I'm not looking to be super competitive age or ability won't allow I just want to have a nice day out tackling a trial with a minimum of fuss, Should I stay with my first thought and stay with the 315R, by the time I make up my mind at thios rate the 4rt's will be affordable

Any recommendations gratefully received

cheers

Dave

I'd just go for something cheap. I returned from quite a long break (although not as long as yours) for a laugh rather than a competition perspective and even my '93 Gas Gas is a more competitive bike then I'll never need and a world away from the Yam twin shock I used to ride. I'd say second hand Gassers are no worse than any other bike and as long as it's been maintained properly, will be a great bike for you. If you can find something from around 2000/2002 for a good price you counld do a lot worse and the difference from a machine from 30 years ago will be massive!

It has been said before, but if you can get to have a go on a few bikes first that may help.

I think all of the bikes are pretty good nowadays.

I've had an old Year 2000 Sherco 290 for 7 years now, and it still runs fine, its better that I am!

Mick

I am 53 years old and had been away from motorcycles for 34 years. A couple of years ago I bought a Suzuki RL250 as I figured a trials bike with a seat would be best suited for riding around on my farm. About a year ago I bought a used 2004 Sherco 290 and it rode great and had plenty of power and an ability that far exceeded my needs - yet it was still easy to ride as long as you respected the power. The Sherco was so much better at riding over rough stuff that I seldom ride the Suzuki anymore. I sold the 290 about 3 months ago and bought a 3.2 Sherco 4 stroke, as it seems to be a little better suited to my slow riding through the woods.

I am sure that any newer trials bike you buy will be a wonderful experience for you - spend enough money to get a bike that is in good shape and not abused or worn out. Sometimes fixing up an old bike can be fun.....but parts and repairs can be expensive and you will get far more riding done if you buy a reliable used bike.

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice.

I'll try to get a go on a few bikes. I still like the idea of the mont, although given that the betas have calmed down a bit and if I were to fit the slow throttle and drop the gearing down , then I guess any of the bikes mentioned would do the trick. I only want to have a bit of fun, start off on the wobblers route and try to progress. This is a great move forward , when I first stated in trials we only had one route and it was sometimes a bit soul destroying that the sections were a bit tricky . With the introduction of the "easier" routes at least it builds confidence.

Anyone know of a practice area in Hampshire? Wiltshire area?

Thanks

Edited by kluson

Hi Kluson.

You may recall I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. Well, after a good look round I got myself fixed up with a 2008 model Gas Gas TXT 250 Pro. It cost more than I wanted to spend but having tried a few bikes it seemed to be the one most suited to me (it had one or two tweeks done to it to smooth out the power). I didn't like the Beta as it seemed to give me back ache very quickly due to the rake of the bike and the only Sherco's around were 290's and a little too much grunt for my needs. The 4 stroke bikes seem to be in a league of their own but were well out of my price range.

I am amazed at the change in today's bikes. I rode a Fantic 300 last time out (this was 1988) and a Beamish Suzuki before that (1986). 20 odd years on and the only similarities is that today's bikes have 2 wheels and an engine!

Thanks guys

Getting into this now, and to be honest I've found the Beta closer to the way I would like to ride. It seems to have a decent lock on it. I'm planning to ride the easy route to start and so don't have a wish to start hopping etc , p[probably a bit too old for all that so it would appear that a lot of the older folk seem to favour the Beta, maybe it is closer to what we were used to. Had a go on a Beta rev3 250 , nice quite a lot more power than the old days!! That would probably suit me. I'll need a field to get used to it , haven't been on a bike of any kind for 35years + so bound to be wobbly.

Oh well here goes.

thanks for all the advice. :wacko:

Thanks

I think I'm set on Beta, a 200 if I can find one or a 250. I like the turning circle seems a bit closer to the old bikes I was used to before all the hopping came in. I just want to have a bit of fun on a Sunday , take it easy and have a great day out, without any stress, enough of that during the week.

cheers for the advice