Which Of These Two Bikes Would You Buy?

bigair

I currently have a '99 Gas Gas TXT 270. Love the bike, but want to upgrade to something newer. Here in my part of the US used trials bikes are very hard to find. As such, my Gas Gas is the only trials bike I have ever ridden. I don't even know anyone else that owns a trials bike. I have found two bikes that both sound like good buys and need some help choosing.

1st bike -

"2008 Sherco 2.9 trials bike. This bike has been used easy for one season. The engine runs very strong and starts easy. The brakes are spot-on powerful. The suspension is top quality with a WORKS PERFORMANCE fully adjustable rear shock. The original rear shock is fine and is included. It has been prepped for the new season with new tires and full service. Ready to ride, nothing to fix. I can say that this bike is very nice cosmetically and near perfect overall operation. $4900" Bike is located 1 hour away, so I could go test ride it easily.

2nd bike -

"2004 TXT 280 Pro Gas Gas Trials Bike, Ridden less then 6 hrs, Like New Condition. must see. $3,395" Bike is located 7.5 hours away, so test riding it is out of the question.

I was looking to spend $3000-3500, but would be willing to spend the extra on the Sherco if it is worth it.

Which bike would you guys buy?

Thanks.

Easy for me to say,sitting here,but you know already that the Sherco has picked itself....just got to find the extra 'greenbacks' though,which is entirely down to you.

Enjoy.

Wow, not a lot of love for '04 Gassers apparently. I thought it sounded like the better deal. The Sherco must be quite a bit better bike I take it? Here is a link to a YouTube video of the exact Sherco I am talking about:

Here is some more info on the Gas Gas -

"I bought the Gas Gas from a older fellow, who bought it new from the dealer in 05, paid $6,000 for it. he said after he tried it. It just wasn

On the surface, the Sherco sounds like the better bet. But, I wonder why a bike "ridden easy for one season" needed new tires?

It does seem odd that a new front tyre is required after just one season, I've done 75 plus trials on my Scorpa and it's still on the original front.

Don't forget that a 2008 bike may have been new in October 2007.

Personally, I dont think its a genuine 08, it may be 07 with 08 plastics and graphics, look at the forks in the video, the 08 had black kevlar wraps, they dont... also, a light season, yet he's managed to break the front mudguard to the point where it needs a replacement from another bike? Those mudguards dont break easily!

I may be wrong but I smell a rat.

Edited by shercoman2k8

My computer is running slow, yet I still did get the first part of the video of the guy on the Sherco. He is a local expert caliber rider and probably will go through a set of tires in a season on the rocks, the bike will be used but not neccessarily hurt by this type fellow, and if he has kept the majority of scratches on the bottom where they belong, and lubed things like the shock links, the bike will be fine, and without the gasser quirks on that model.

I am a bit qurious about the Works Perf. shock. Seems they do list a shock for the Sherco, yet it is designed for the '05 and back bikes. Recent testamony has seemed to confirm there is a 10mm difference in overall length on the '06 and up bikes stock shocks. Soo, there may be something here I do not totally understand. All pertaining to the geometry primarily.

Sherco probably easier to ride, and tone down if needed. If perfection is what you want , buy a new bike, otherwise take a good used one like this.

:D

Brian R, I live in Emigrant, MT, which is near Bozeman.

I am starting to think that neither of these bikes is quite the right bike. I really like the Sherco, but would like find one that really was "used easy." How tough are these bikes? Is the way it was rode even something to worry about? I am worried that the Gas Gas might not be as reliable as I want.

Let's throw another potential bike into the mix. This one is listed on Lewisport's website:

"2007 Beta 270 New tires, new stator, Renthal bars, Jitsie aluminum pegs, spark arrestor, new bash plate. $4395"

The fact that it needed that much new stuff makes me think it must have been rode pretty hard. I would have to have it shipped as well which would add at least $300 to the price.

Lewisport are good people. Adrian always go through the bikes and puts them in top top condition. In general Trials bikes are pretty tough. I have an 06 sherco that really has had no problems other than a faulty rider.

I would not worry about buying a bike from Lewisport.

I rode a National in Bozeman back in the 80s. That is the town with of a lot of pretty woman that ignored me. Flash Back