sam

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sam,

If you have a bit of time, you can carefully peel back the outer casing of the fan motor, usually in two cylindrical pieces pressed together. The std Jap fan motor works well, the older ones used to sever the windings where they are wound tight over part of the rotor assy. Check for broken wires, you need a magnifying glass. If any broken, use a scalpel to scrape of the insulation and solder up the wires. It will work 100% again. Takes a while to fix but at no dollar cost (I would just put a new one on these days)

Bye, PeterB.

Well thanks Sam.... You jinxed me.

After saturdays very nasty ride in the rain and with my fan making a banshee leaving he// type of noise the thing finally let loose on Sunday. It might have been the alchohol but was probably just luck.

So sitting awake last night i decided that first ajenda at work this morning was to start getting this fan back on the up and up.

The company that made my fan was Comex. I went to their website to look up model F11-12c001-07s but alas they were not really forth comming on that. A simple google search also did not produce any results. Now i work with a large group of "car" guys and they think that i should go with a Power steering or Transmission cooling fan such as this. They are certainly ment for outdoor weather conditions but i cant find one small enough.

My space dimetions are 3.25 inches deap by 5 inches wide by 6 inches high. The fan blades themselves are about 4.75 inches.

0810090910.jpg

0810090913.jpg

0810090915.jpg

0810090916.jpg

Im off to search for a fan replacement now. I will keep this updated. Apparently Tryals shop has the cheapest fans out there. This sounds like my best alternative.

--Biff

Boy, that one is 150.00 and the GG comex is 114.00. It might be worth it if it is rebuildable. I am on my second GG fan and getting tired of the squealing.

This really is a big issue, and the cost of the comex is crazy.

I would like to send a BIG THANK YOU to my good friend Biffsgasgas. :D

He put in the time and effort of Research and Testing of the Computer Trials cooling fan.

And then he was kind enough to hand one over to me. He took it right off his bike after a very fun day of testing it. And it looks really cool when running with the red led lights on it. (maybe I will get a vid of it in action.)

post-692-1251810109.jpg

Attached it using welding wire wrapped and twisted around the fan housing and radiator

post-692-1251810161.jpg

Now to finish up the other cleaning and lubing things and go play.

Edited by ZIPPY

uhoh7 Posted Yesterday, 11:23 PM

What I want to know: what happens when you toss a cup of water on it?

Not sure yet.

The owner of local bike shop says that some of the off road KTM's do not come with a fan for the radiator, and the woods riders (slower more technical type riding) outfit their bikes with computer fans.

I just gonna be happy to ride the silly thing again. (Until I break it again) :D

ZIPPY Posted Today, 06:22 AM

I just gonna be happy to ride the silly thing again. (Until I break it again)

Well I was happy for 20 minutes. :D

Apparently the computer fans are not quite robust enough. Biff had it on his bike for a while and then I transferred it to my bike. Took it out for a test ride today and about 20 minutes later it was fried.

Guess I will have to just have to break down and buy the proper fan. but it was a fun experiment.

Well I was happy for 20 minutes. :D

Apparently the computer fans are not quite robust enough. Biff had it on his bike for a while and then I transferred it to my bike. Took it out for a test ride today and about 20 minutes later it was fried.

Guess I will have to just have to break down and buy the proper fan. but it was a fun experiment.

I would guess that the poor voltage regulation (compared to a computer power supply) would be the reason the fan died so quickly....assuming you didn't do the "cup of water" test :lol:

You could introduce extra components to stop this next time but to be honest it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Best of balance.

Neo

Hello Fan peoples!

My buddy went to a motorcycle salvage yard and purchased a fan off a wrecked Honda Elite scooter for $30.00, works great!

Also, Honda Helix and VTR250 are the same fan, I'm sure there are many more jap bikes with em.

sam