09 Problems

rodmac

Was wondering if there are any common problems on the 250 09 as am thinking about getting one? am torn between a gasser and an evo. Was almost convinced on the gasser and then my mates 08 kick start went it was the funny shaped cog just inside casing and was told this is a common thing. Has it been sorted for 09? And anything else i should look out for??

My thoughts on GG kickstart problems are that they are caused by not installing the lever in the correct position and kickstarting it like you would a Japanese engine. Put it in neutral first, put some test pressure on the lever to make sure it is engaged, then kick. Don't double kick.

So you are saying that to start a recent Gasser you still have to find neutral and be very careful how you kick them, otherwise, no go and worse, you can break the kick start innards. My 07 250 was just like that, a crappy starter but the dealers just said I was unlucky to have a bad one and it was quote " just a weak spark." In fact no non expert rider could start it at all. It is a good job that this make of bike rides well. I dreaded stalling mine. I sold it to an expert rider who when warned said "yea I know" and fired it up first time. I went back to Shercos, at least they start easily.

I've had many gassers and never had a problem with the kick start. Bike usually starts first kick. I ride 300's and they do take a big kick too. I don't know of anyone else in the club who has either had a problem either. Now a mate with a Beta has had problems so there you go. I don't think it should be a deciding factor on which bike you go for. Kick starters can and will break.

BTW I've been in the housing on a few gassers and even if it did happen there's not much that couldn't be sorted very easily.

No - I typically start my bike in gear - 1st kick no problem hot or cold. If you wack and slap at it, your askin for problems. Did you ever try anyone elses Gasser? Did you have a hard time starting there bike? A hard starting bike is a real drag. I find using a NGK BPR5EIX - irdium plugs gapped at 0.022" to 0.024" help make my bikes easier to fire up.

300's (and many of the big bore trials bikes) are harder to start for most people just because of the extra compression. Any 250 07 or 09 or 05, should be very easy to start if you have good leg strenght or alot of extra girth like me. (yes- I knew all that beer drinking would finally payoff...) For light riders, you need to make sure you improve your leverage - like standing above the bike so your knee isnt bent too much. We put a head spacer in a 250 for a very light woman customer and she found she could start the bike easier - she eventually switched to a 200 and loves it cause it starts so easy everytime. ( I could start it with my hand!)

If you like the gasser, but are afraid that you'll have the same old PITA starting issues, talk to you dealer and buy the bike under the condition you can start it w/o having a stroke.

No - I typically start my bike in gear - 1st kick no problem hot or cold. If you wack and slap at it, your askin for problems. Did you ever try anyone elses Gasser? Did you have a hard time starting there bike? A hard starting bike is a real drag. I find using a NGK BPR5EIX - irdium plugs gapped at 0.022" to 0.024" help make my bikes easier to fire up.

300's (and many of the big bore trials bikes) are harder to start for most people just because of the extra compression. Any 250 07 or 09 or 05, should be very easy to start if you have good leg strenght or alot of extra girth like me. (yes- I knew all that beer drinking would finally payoff...) For light riders, you need to make sure you improve your leverage - like standing above the bike so your knee isnt bent too much. We put a head spacer in a 250 for a very light woman customer and she found she could start the bike easier - she eventually switched to a 200 and loves it cause it starts so easy everytime. ( I could start it with my hand!)

If you like the gasser, but are afraid that you'll have the same old PITA starting issues, talk to you dealer and buy the bike under the condition you can start it w/o having a stroke.

great plugs, definately help.

I wouldn't be concerned about the broken teeth on the starter gear. True it does happen, but also true they have improved this part (twice now if you count the 2010 model). I have broke a couple of these gears one each on two differnt bikes. First broken gear was while starting the bike while rested on the skid plate on a rock. Snapped the tooth right away. Second was on my 300, as mentioned earlier, they are a bear to start. If you looking at a 250, I would be willing to bet you will never have a starting gear problem. Bottom line is if the gear breaks, it's an easy fix to swap the new gear out and usually doesn't cause any other problems in the motor.

If you are still not sure of a gasser vs evo then bear this in mind. I know four riders with evo's, all selling because of starting problems, siezing, rear wheel hub collapse and so on maybe the 2010 would be better but 09 probs galore . Gassers seem to be as reliable as the next not saying much(none are yamaha wr's) but there is no better /more reliable trials bike.

The evo 09 I wouldn't touch. But I would wait for the 2010 gassers they almost here and are very pretty bikes.

I've had Gas Gas trial bikes for 17 years now, never caused me to DNF a trial. Some riders have broken the kickstart gear, it is easy to replace if this does happen - can be done at a trial, not had this on my bikes, the last two being a 300 PRO which do require a knack to fire up. With regular maintenance most bikes will last out well.

Bye, PeterB.

If you are still not sure of a gasser vs evo then bear this in mind. I know four riders with evo's, all selling because of starting problems, siezing, rear wheel hub collapse and so on maybe the 2010 would be better but 09 probs galore . Gassers seem to be as reliable as the next not saying much(none are yamaha wr's) but there is no better /more reliable trials bike.

The evo 09 I wouldn't touch. But I would wait for the 2010 gassers they almost here and are very pretty bikes.

I have the 09 Evo and nothing but good things to say about it. I have put over 70 hrs on it and have had no starting issues, no hub issues and no seizing issues. It runs great and is a great reliable bike. Those people with the issues should be looked after by Beta. They might have had some issues on the first release bikes. Nothing wrong with the bikes that where shipped out a 2-3 months ago.

i have an 2002 280 pro and the only problem ive had with the kickstarter is a broken spring which was supposedly fixed in the 2003 and later bikes. my bike almost always starts 1st kick, usually needing less then a full kick. ive ridden a few 300s and have been able to start first or second kick while the owner of the bikes seems to have issues with starting it. im by no means a big person, being 5'8" or so and tipping the scales at around 120 pounds.