Grips

jam

Godzilla, Q; Using puncture kit glue, I would of thought leaving the glue to dry prior to fixing would be very difficult to fit as the dry glue would stop the grip from sliding on ?

Or have I read it wrong ?

Godzilla, Q; Using puncture kit glue, I would of thought leaving the glue to dry prior to fixing would be very difficult to fit as the dry glue would stop the grip from sliding on ?

Or have I read it wrong ?

No you read it fine. i didnt word it right.

There are a number of specific glues for grips, I prefer scotts, not sure what is available where you live. 3M super weatherstrip works ok too. I also safety wire the grips, the glue will keep water from getting inbetween the grip & bar, use compressed air nozzle to get them on if the are being difficult.

0000_Scott_Grip_Glue_--.jpg

Any one got any good methods on how to fix new grips to the bars and throttle?

I've used hairspray,matt black paint, clear laquer,neat petrol.....................anymore ideas????????????????

Thanks

It depends on the type of grip, material-wise. I've found that Renthal grip glue is pretty safe with all grips (not so with other glues, even Scotts). If you use the super-soft grips, you have to be real careful as to the type of glue/paint, you use, as the solvents in the gluing medium may very well cause the grips to split or fail prematurely.

The medium and hard grips do not seem to be affected by the gluing solvents as much. Sliding on the grip with glue on the bar is a real hassle (they always stick half-way as the glue is quick drying) but if you spray a little alcohol in the grip and on the glued bar end, the grip will slide on easily and the alcohol will evaporate. I like to safety wire on either end and in the middle, so if it's a wet Trial and the grip gets cut, it is a lot less prone to slip off (when water enters between the grip and the bar) as there are two "pockets" of dry, gripping surface on either side of the center wire on the grip and chances of cutting both are very low.

Jon

wrap bar and throttle tube with electrical tape once or twice (not too much tape)

Slosh a little Petrol inside grips

Slide them on.

On the clutch side I have started to use a plastic Zip Tie to hold the end of the grip down to help keep dirt, mud etc. out.

I use the plastic because I tried wire. and the wire ends would either cut into my grips or my hand. (I found that to be unpleasant)

wrap bar and throttle tube with electrical tape once or twice (not too much tape)

Slosh a little Petrol inside grips

Slide them on.

On the clutch side I have started to use a plastic Zip Tie to hold the end of the grip down to help keep dirt, mud etc. out.

I use the plastic because I tried wire. and the wire ends would either cut into my grips or my hand. (I found that to be unpleasant)

Zippy,

a tape that works even better is what used to be called "Mechanic's Tape", which is a black adhesive imprenated cloth strip tape familiar to old geezer's like me (it was before plastic electrical tape time) and I think it's still available. We always used it before grip glue time and it really held the grips on.

The trick with the safety wire (if you're using a wire tool) is to not tighten the wire all the way using the twist tool. Stop when the wire is snug and then loosen the tension on the wire and tighten the rest of the way by slowly hand twisting the tool (using the tool to tighten the wire all the way wall cause it to cut through the grip on the opposite side the tool is). Don't overtighten and then cut the wire leaving about 4mm and then fold that over and use the blunt end of the tool to push it into the grip at a 45 degree angle. Safety wire tools have a flat tip on the end for that use.

Jon