Indoor Format

thespikeyone

Indoor format  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which rules would you like to see on the indoor world champs?

• old school, 1round forward, 1round backward (lowest score wins)
    • the ones used at sheffield
    • the ones proposed for Marseille
    • a new format (ides below please)

just wondering what you think??????

I for one vote old school easier to understand and you get to see all the riders on all the sections.

As a trials rider I am 100% with you on that, however we must also remember that the event has to be TV compatible and attractive to non trials riders.

In an age of instant gratification, this is where the 'exciting' races come into their own. It helps to keep Mr/Mrs average viewer interested, it's a shame that the format so frustrating to us as riders.

Having just read the front page article on the new revised format, or should I have said tried to read! Even I as an enthusiast gave up and lost interest before the end of the page.

Still even this will seem simple if the WTC goes Openfree.

i don't think i could do any of the indoor sections at sheffield - i could do the silly race every time, drop the races, trials is pretty straightforward, the person who puts their foot down the least wins, man and machine in harmony, it doesnt matter what order you do the sections in as long as everyone tries the same sections

just my opinion

tony

Apart from the race to decide the winner if there is a tie, I don't the new rules for the Indoors.

At the end of the day the indoor series is just a circus act, and if the FIM believe this will generate more interest, the least we can do is try it for a whole year.

While it may seem complicated to start with, its essientially just two lap, with riders being lost as the night progresses. At least the new format will allow more riders to compete, with up to ten riders rather than the normal 6 to 8. Means we will see more of the 'youngsters' rather than just the normal few.

Just voted old school myself, the word 'race' is being used more and more often in trials, and if we keep seeing "improvements" that are being forced onto trials, then they might as well give up with televised trials, put use out of our misery and call it "Indoor Enduro". Actually, most of the riders in that series are/ex trials riders arn't they.

Also, on the 'old school' format, then maybe in the case of a tie, then those riders should ride a pre-elected section and ride on Time and Observation, as i believe it used to be.

Lastly, from what i have seen at Sheffield nobody, the riders, organisers, fans and especially people i know who do not actually ride trials (ie, road bikers and work collegues) liked or understood what was going on, so who do they keep 'improving' the rules for ?

That's better, thanks thespikeyone, when you leave the RAF, have you considered being a psychologist ?

Regards GaffaMont.

Voted for old school!

Didn't understand the new format, don't understand this newer format?! What chance have people got to understand it if the trials public doesn't?? Bizarre!

If something works well - the old school format - then leave it!!

I say give the revised (ie Marseille) rules a chance.

As has been mentioned the indoor series is trying to attract new (and maintain existing) TV viewers plus the paying public at the door and as such it must keep up the vibrancy and the excitement. In my opinion nothing is worse than having to watch someone who, with every respect, has little chance in getting a reasonable result but there they are shuffling the bike, insteps on the footrest but toes helping them inch forward/sideways, only for a fail just a short distance on in the section because the climb, jump or what is beyond their ability. I know they have to learn somewhere, etc, etc, but having 8 or 10 riders of all abilities doing each section both ways round will not be dynamic enough to increase TV viewers or attendance.

The uninitiated are told that feet down means loss of marks, so why allow riders to consciously use their feet to porogress, without loss of marks.

To keep the excitement going they should introduce no stop...........!

Anyway, back to the theme of the thread!

I think the revised rules may work. As has been mentioned it allows a greater number of riders to have an initial go, then successively creams off the more successful riders so, in theory, only the best will be in the final. That's Toni and some others by the way.

Full marks to Andy's pdf version of the new rules, and I hold Toni Bou in even higher esteem if he can work out that formula in his head whilst riding at the same time! That's where I went wrong when I used to ride - badly!

Messy.

I would say leave the wtc indoor format as it was the old way,if the FIM want to generate more excitement to pull the public in then they need to introduce more side show's at the sart,inbetween and at the end of the main event.We have enough decent riders outside the wtc crew that could come in and put on a good race/freestyle type riding, but that brings another problem these guys will want a wage for being there,one day someone will come in and pump aload of cash into Trials so it can run propaly,not in my life time i expect.

If the Fim continue to mess with the indoor this year the riders may as well stay at home and concentrate on the outside.

Other than the last two sections i thought it offered little challenge to the riders other than rushing through sections. Its not very skill base, as i would never think Dabill would beat currently Fuji inform head to head on skill not pace. its really taken the ethos out of it.