Gas Gas Set Up For Ssdt- Newcomer

doublea

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Double A

You dont have to ride a gas gas and yes grip is important in ssdt. Many of the sections require just the correct amount of speed and dont require a lot of power ( why have i got a 280 Gas Gas again ??), if your speed is right you go over the holes rather than in to them, if your too fast you keep having to pull the clutch and apply the brakes which doesnt work very well on loose rocks. Try and practice riding without the clutch or using less clutch.

To make your bike grip better you could try a thicker base gasket, a flywheel weight or a slow throttle (black tube domino). The slow throttle is the easiest to fit and makes a lot of difference.

if you can afford to I would buy a new bike, its a long way to travel so you dont want to have to retire. If you bring your current bike you need to prepare it well. Be aware that your bike is going to do between 400 and 500 miles over the six days so you need new wheel bearings, disc pads, chain, sprockets, tyres etc and your engine needs to be in good condition.

keep the questions coming and I'll try and reply faster next time !

You convinced me, next saturday will pick up a new GG Pro , finally got 280 cc as you, . Is curious the GGPro has 11/41 instead of 42. Could be a perfect combination.

I will go to test the new GG in the "area of Ripoll", this is a legal area 100 km from Barcelona close to the pyrenees , in this area you can find all kind of sections, there is a Group of Sections named locally "Scottish sections", a beautiful stream perfect when training for SSDT! . I have six sections that i like to pass as if a where in a Trial, and very few times get all clean in all six /same lap . Will inform you the result with the new bike.

• 1 month later...

With the new GG280Pro, grips problems have been completely solved. We have just opened a new legal Trial Area in Camprodon (East of Pyrenees) with beautiful streams full of non stop sections (you are invited) , and we spent hours training every week end. My only problem today is an overload on the tendon of the foot, due to footing training (never did before) . Doctor recommended me to stop footing and start mountain bike to get physical shape .Hope in SSDT this problem does not .

Hope to see all you in only 20 days!

Hi Double A

whats your riding number ?

I'm number 258, see you in fort william.

if you are near Carlos follow him !

Hi Baldilocks and Slaphot3 ,

I'm number 24 , and Carlos is right there number 21 , I will try to follow him.

See you in Fort William

With 11/41 gearing on a 280 I doubt you will ever go out of 1st gear on the sections apart from maybe the bottom section at Pipeline. I think you will find it miles too fast in the sections. Surely you are better making it nice in the sections and It will only take you maybe a few minutes longer if that to do a long stretch of road. Good luck riding with 11/41, I bet that after the first day you are wanting to lower the gearing!

In the sections , if you ride a GG280 Pro with 11/41 , what percentage of 1st ,2qnd or 3erd gear do you use?

You've said before that you think will be in the first class awards so why then are you gearing your bike up like somebody who'll struggle to get round with limited ability & needs to make time up down the road? You go to Scotland to ride 180 sections, ride them how you know best as there's no need to change. The rest just happens, a good enough rider can make any time up across the moors & that's not anything to do with pulling tall gearing. Every Scottish section can be ridden in 1st at 11/42 on a Gasser, no problem. Try going round up there on a 250, they're seriously slow but you can still get them round in time every day.

Hi Baldilocks and Slaphot3 ,

I'm number 24 , and Carlos is right there number 21 , I will try to follow him.

See you in Fort William

You could put 11 / 36 on your Gasser & you still wont keep up with Carlos & his 4rt on the big road stretches, try & your Gasser will go pop very very quickly. But with standard gearing you'll quite happily keep up with him across the moors & down the forest tracks.

Now we have to wait for another ballot , Ryanair flights from Barcelona to Glasgow next 1st May, probably cancelled because the ash cloud...

Do you think we have to start thinking seriously to come with our car instead with the airplane?

Double A, i think at the minute you should be ok, the latest is UK (scottish) airports will be open tomorrow so hopefully some of the backlog will be cleared. Keep checking the NATS and BBC news webpages for updates as it happens. Maybe Slapshot can shed some light on it for you. I feel your pain, i'm currently stuck offshore waiting to get back for the start!