Gas Gas Set Up For Ssdt- Newcomer

doublea

Best advise for new comer.... i am sure it is still relevant 21 years later! ....

Ride motocross style across the moors and ride trials in the sections - hard to do!!!.

Look at the sections QUICKLY and then get on and ride them - remember you will NOT have time to study them!!!

Ride with 1psi more in your tyres to avoid flats.

If you get bogged in a wet hole - lay your bike over and drag it out sideways.

Get fit, take pain killers, stretch and stay flexible.

Boy are you going to have fun!

Ralphy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11/42 gearing is what I run for the rest of the year so I'm not gearing up.

But its worth saying that when I tried 10/42 i rode most sectiions in second, it feels like 2nd gear with 10/42 is higher than 1st in 11/42.

so if your ridig every section in second as Double A mentioned surely you may as well gear up and use first in the sections ?

I ride every section in first at 10 - 42. If you're geared up at 11 - 42 you've got no slow option when you're shagged towards the end of the week. There's nothing worse than been pulled up a section by a bike going too fast, makes a tough week tougher.

I suggest you acquire a 10t sprocket for next time you visit, both AG & I ride virtually all our sections in first gear.

Edited by PERCE

I ride every section in first at 10 - 42. If you're geared up at 11 - 42 you've got no slow option when you're shagged towards the end of the week. There's nothing worse than been pulled up a section by a bike going too fast, makes a tough week tougher.

I suggest you acquire a 10t sprocket for next time you visit, both AG & I ride virtually all our sections in first gear.

Would a compromise not be you leave the front alone and take a couple off the back ?

Edited by B40RT

I've added the Gas Gas SSDT set-up to the Motomerlin downloads page see here.

Also the Beta SSDT guide that has some useful tips for riders too.

Mike

Many thanks Mike, your link is really useful. I am amazed about the prep by John Shirt , it demostrated that SSDT is unic and preparation is different from other trials . I am wondering if the best option is to rent a Gas Gas if it is prepared as explained in your link. I may ask John .

Best advise for new comer.... i am sure it is still relevant 21 years later! ....

Ride motocross style across the moors and ride trials in the sections - hard to do!!!.

Look at the sections QUICKLY and then get on and ride them - remember you will NOT have time to study them!!!

Ride with 1psi more in your tyres to avoid flats.

If you get bogged in a wet hole - lay your bike over and drag it out sideways.

Get fit, take pain killers, stretch and stay flexible.

Boy are you going to have fun!

Ralphy

Thanks for the advice Ralphy , when riding sections in a stream i found 90% easier if you know each stonoce and the exact place wher to pass. I How can i make cleans in a stream if you don't have time to study ? Do you have any trick for stream sections ?

When you said take Pain killer which one do you recommend?

Hope you come back next year !

11/42 gearing is what I run for the rest of the year so I'm not gearing up.

But its worth saying that when I tried 10/42 i rode most sectiions in second, it feels like 2nd gear with 10/42 is higher than 1st in 11/42.

so if your ridig every section in second as Double A mentioned surely you may as well gear up and use first in the sections ?

Following your advice last friday changed gear from 10 to 11. After two days test some sections much better some worst . In dry stones, 1st gear (11/42) is perfect. But when stoens are humid, is is not so easy to ride with 1st gear , i like to have a little more speed to pass the stones clean. What I found is that for big stones it is much better in 2qnd (11/42) , than 2qnd (10/42). Do you find big stones in SSDT streams to ride in 2qnd? Do you have dry sections is SSDT if it does not rain ? (becasuse this year will not rain...)

SSDT is unique and as a clubman suggest you adopt tortoise and hare approach. Set out to finish each day by going steady. There are too many rocks in the sections to plan each one so ride loose and flexible and just plan for the really tricky bits.

Have finished all my 7 SSDTS spread over 20 odd years with negligible time penalties by keeping moving all day. Time in sections is a killer if you get it wrong.

Read JSTs advice - John Lampkin also has posted similar and I think there was a good article on the old SSDT site.

Make sure you understand how delay works - this makes a big difference if you play it right.

Duct Tape extensions on your front mudguard - top tip

Ride a little higher tyre pressures - makes minimal difference in the sections.

Buy riding gear that keeps you dry and not makes you look like a works rider.

Study each days route in advance so you know where you are going - I have in the past cut out the route, laminated it and stuck it on the cross brace so you can read it as you go. If in doubt check whats coming - you can go along way in the wrong direction - I believe Kinnel can confirm this.

Practice streams and loose rocks - don't worry about no stop as stopping and hopping is the wrong style anyway for Scotland. Keep it flowing!!!

PS

Enjoy it and also look at the scenery - superb in places

Hi again

There are just hundreds or thousands of rocks in each section and as you say some (most) are covered in water).

So...try this.... walk up a section and get a general idea/direction you want to go, coming back down remember the key obstacles and how you would attack them, for the rest stay loose and ready for the bike to move about.

You are not allowed to stop/ballance in a section at SSDT.

Top tip.... all rocks are one wheel base length apart (or they seem to be!!!)......so keep the bike flowing/moving.

Talk to a chemist for their best advise for an endurance sport.

Good luck.