Scorpa Sy250

shazsdad

Hello,

Can someone please help me? I'm looking to buy a secondhand Scorpa SY250 and would like to know how I can tell the differance between a 2002-2003 &2004 models other than the frame colour.

Also how do you recongise a UK model from an import.

One last question is there any specific weak points I need to look out for?

Thanks

Martin P.S. if you have a bike for sale please contact m_pennycook@hotmail.com

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just bought an 02 (or 03 I'm not sure) dark grey paint on the frame.

mine looked like it had been owned by the missing link :wacko: had to

replace front wheel bearings

rear wheel bearings

Head race bearings

and the rear disc is slightly bent.

also the middle exhaust box had split quite bad.

Everything has ben done with the exception of the rear disc, I was told that the bearings Scorpa use are crap so replace them and the guy who welded my exhaust up said it was the third one he'd done.........so I guess thats the weak spots.

Like I say mine was an ex Homer Simpson bike, but It come cheap so that's why i bought it.

Just be carefull about buying a bike thats been owned by an 'Expert rider' also most s/h bikes that are for sale in dealers are knackers (thats why they part ex'd them)

Go for low use Clubman rider types....good luck

Edited by Marky G

May be a good idea to speak with Martin at Scorpa UK to see if the frame numbers (I'm assuming they have them) can be used to identify the year of manufacture and also UK model.

As the general design and appearance of the sorpa hasn't really changed it could be easy to get taken in by a bike that has had its colours updated but is in fact older than it appears.

In terms of which year is best, I don't think any year has a particular advantage over another in terms of performance for a cluban rider, so an 01 or an 02 in good condition would be just as good for a clubman as a new bike.

Disagree here as alot of expert riders bikes are very well looked after depends on the rider aswell.

My 290's are always very good but I have part ex'd the last 5.

You must be the exception then Dabster, when I used to ride expert years ago it was the done thing, p/x your bike off to some dealer miles away for the latest tack, thrash the tit's off it for a year and do the same again, the dealer ain't bothered as long as he sells another new bike.

The only reason I bought mine was cheap price and I can fix it up myself, and there just ain't many SY's for sale (round here anyway) when they do come up there snapped up as quick as anything.

I recently sold my 125 Scorpa, took a Rev3 250 in p/x, clubman rider, clean bashplate, very tidy bike (it's for sale if any ones interested :wacko: ) the bike is a 2001...............stood next to the SY the beta looks like it was 2 years younger.

Edited by Marky G

There was some fairley major changes from the first bikes to the present. To the best of my knowledge the exhaust was change from 02 to 03, along with swinging arm. The forks were also change, an 03 has three bolts at the bottom against the 2 on the 02. 01 models are white and silver, like this. scorpa_2001.jpg

This is an 02.

scorpa2002motor.jpg

This is an 03.

Scorpa-03_(02)-Sm.jpg

This is a n 04.

scorpa250large.jpg

So, main differance, 01 is white, 02 has 250 on seat, 03 has new forks, exhaust mods and swinging arm, 04 has blue frame.

No major problems with them, as for uk models, very hard to tell. There was some bikes brought in from Spain (I think?), they have a lighter flywheel. Don't know how to spot one though. Best bet is to speak to Crosser at Scorpa UK.

The 04 and 05 SY 250 that are shipped direct from France to Australia have the flywheel lightened by 450 g from the earlier bikes. The timing marker is advanced fully to the stopper as well.This must be done at Scorpa as the mark is clearly visible where it has been screwed up hard previously.Some of the riders over here retard them back to achieve a smoother idle and stop the tendancy for the motor stalling.Have just received the 05 and will be fitting a 220g flywheel weight and slightly retarding timing to achieve a smoother responce. :wacko::D

The stock bash plate is awfull... replace with a flat one.

Rubbish! You'll have no problems with it. Yes, its not flat but it if you fit a flat one then you'll lose clearance.

The '02 model hade the most major upgrade I believe. You can see some of the differances in my photo's Note: Forks and silencer on the 01, swinging arm on '02. Now look at the '03, see what I mean?

Marky G, have you been to Markyboy's web site, Wizardpaintwerx

Here's a photo of one of his bikes.

db_newscorpa13.jpg

Jesus Boofont, some cool looking bikes on the website, I'm damm sure I wouldn't want to get any of them dirty :D

Maybe its best I don't post any pics of my pathtic efforts when I'm done spraying :wacko:

Sure the Zebra SY was for sale on ebay recently ?

There was some fairley major changes from the first bikes to the present. To the best of my knowledge the exhaust was change from 02 to 03, along with swinging arm. The forks were also change, an 03 has three bolts at the bottom against the 2 on the 02. 01 models are white and silver, like this. scorpa_2001.jpg

This is an 02.

scorpa2002motor.jpg

This is an 03.

Scorpa-03_(02)-Sm.jpg

This is a n 04.

scorpa250large.jpg

So, main differance, 01 is white, 02 has 250 on seat, 03 has new forks, exhaust mods and swinging arm, 04 has blue frame.

No major problems with them, as for uk models, very hard to tell. There was some bikes brought in from Spain (I think?), they have a lighter flywheel. Don't know how to spot one though. Best bet is to speak to Crosser at Scorpa UK.

Hi Boofont is that a mud flap i circled

Vinnied

post-10-1104841747.jpg