Trials Should Take A Lesson From F1

borus

I rode in a multi class trial yesterday including most of the best Experts in this area, watching the cream of trials tackling the sections was in my mind one thing Boring Boring Boring.........

They huff and puff reved and roared at big step after big step, hopped here there and everywhere all the sections the same.. There was quite a few spectators ( the French love a free sunday out ) and looking at them and their expression far from being impressed and excited looked bemused and thinking whats this all about, me too....... Any children or adults for that matter slightly interested, Im sure thinking I wont try that, looks dangerous and hard. Of course they could have looked at the lesser lights and easier route but Im sure they were drawn to the drama of what the best riders were trying to achieve.

I dont pretend to know what the answer is but do you just look for bigger and bigger steps with shorter and shorter run ups or instigate some sort of handicap... non stop, bike developement etc The top riders seem to like it as it is , for me in some ways its incredible what can be done on a trials bike but its all the same, and don t get me on the scoring what do you have to do to get a five these days............

I would nt cross the road to watch a modern trial and thats from someone who loves trials ...........

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode in a multi class trial yesterday including most of the best Experts in this area, watching the cream of trials tackling the sections was in my mind one thing Boring Boring Boring.........

They huff and puff reved and roared at big step after big step, hopped here there and everywhere all the sections the same.. There was quite a few spectators ( the French love a free sunday out ) and looking at them and their expression far from being impressed and excited looked bemused and thinking whats this all about, me too....... Any children or adults for that matter slightly interested, Im sure thinking I wont try that, looks dangerous and hard. Of course they could have looked at the lesser lights and easier route but Im sure they were drawn to the drama of what the best riders were trying to achieve.

I dont pretend to know what the answer is but do you just look for bigger and bigger steps with shorter and shorter run ups or instigate some sort of handicap... non stop, bike developement etc The top riders seem to like it as it is , for me in some ways its incredible what can be done on a trials bike but its all the same, and don t get me on the scoring what do you have to do to get a five these days............

I would nt cross the road to watch a modern trial and thats from someone who loves trials ...........

yes metisse, I have a practice area at my house and many riders new and not so new come to ride, did two motorcycle shows this winter and of course i talk to many people interested in a trials bike. The main or common negaitve feedback I get is poggostick riding, dangerous and no seat. People simply can't relate to trials or the bikes, except if they're from a bicycle trials background or their dad used to do trials. The price of bikes is climbing, and the market is shrinking. just look at the price of the montesa, greeves and my guess the new ossa for a start...

Lower the costs of the world rounds to the manufacturers somehow, that will lower costs of the bikes (my math has it that bike prices are at least $1500 higher to support a world round team, bring the sport back to where people can relate and enjoy.

i had a friend ride a world round bike and said it was extremely powerfull with a on / off clutch, no comparison to a production bike. A few small adjustments fy the FIM could make a big difference.

cheers

bob

The FIM, ACU, NATC don't stick the flags in the ground, if the way of thinking is for more traditional fun style trials to entice new blood in to the sport, it starts with clubs giving what the public want.

It doesn't matter a toss what Toni bou is doing, nor how new or light your bike is, if you cater for the man on the older bike and lines are included for the better riders

it will take care of itself.

Trials is a participant sport and after 35 plus years of world championships, it looks bloody obvious to me that the public for the most part are not interested.

See my first post for some blue-sky thinking!! :o

Toni Bou with a bike 30Kg heavier than Fajardos???..20 Kg heavier than Ragas until the next round??

That would level the playingfield.. :)

Edited by HAM2

The FIM, ACU, NATC don't stick the flags in the ground, if the way of thinking is for more traditional fun style trials to entice new blood in to the sport, it starts with clubs giving what the public want.

It doesn't matter a toss what Toni bou is doing, nor how new or light your bike is, if you cater for the man on the older bike and lines are included for the better riders

it will take care of itself.

Trials is a participant sport and after 35 plus years of world championships, it looks bloody obvious to me that the public for the most part are not interested.

very sweeping statement that one, ishy. Its a bit like saying the public aren't interested in the SSDT cos years ago it was a much bigger thing.

Times change people and more exactly trials aware punters are getting fewer each year, trials at the top level is very far from what we do but does that mean we can't appreciate it? Isn't it the shop window we should be proud of?

Yes we all stick flags in the ground and whatever happens in Spain, France or at the top FIM level will not affect the way your or my club sets out. Fortunately we have a national body that does not follow the FIM completly and all over the country both rules are available.

Fortunately many clubs like Richmond put on events which vary in severity take the blue bar which must be one of the greatest events for a newcomer to do, but they can also put on a testing youth national and good centre events.

If this doesn't catch them then maybe the TV coverage may just encourage more to look at our sport in one way or another.

My point!! if clubs cater for the members, it doesn't matter what the FIM etc are doing.

It isn't the tax payer that gets countries in trouble, it's the governing body that always seem to bugger the job spending or costing more than the game allows.

Same applies to trials, the clubman is the life blood of the game, they buy the machines clothing spares etc, at the other end stood in the shop window looking good is the expensive part of the game that costs a lot but really isn't good enough to generate enough interest from sponsors or the general public to pay for itself.

I was told some numbers on how expensive it was to ship teams and bikes around the world, how much of this is tagged on to the price of a trials bike and spares to the clubman, I don

:)

Phew, it's getting hot in here....

We can dream but, there are very few parallels to be drawn with F1 in reality.

F1 is funded by advertising and TV royalties...that's how to become self sustaining,besides the manufacturers do not have a F1 car to sell to the public to generate funds.

The trials bike makers/FIM etc.. are never going to attain that sort of revenue generating interest in WTC in it's current format :o

I'm guessing that the trials manufacturers have done the maths (notice the 's' :thumbup: ) and reckon that it's just about worth dragging the WTC caravan around the world in the hope of stimulating a new market..... or two?

Dare I suggest that the Trials manufacturers lobby the FIM to limit the WTC circus to Western Europe for the near future...just to keep costs down?

This is the only limiting formula I can think of for WTC:-

How about the trendy, planet friendly, limit on fuel-use...that would make double sure they didn't drop their bikes...Beta might struggle though (Sorry couldn't resist that :crying: )

My point!! if clubs cater for the members, it doesn't matter what the FIM etc are doing.

It isn't the tax payer that gets countries in trouble, it's the governing body that always seem to bugger the job spending or costing more than the game allows.

Same applies to trials, the clubman is the life blood of the game, they buy the machines clothing spares etc, at the other end stood in the shop window looking good is the expensive part of the game that costs a lot but really isn't good enough to generate enough interest from sponsors or the general public to pay for itself.

I was told some numbers on how expensive it was to ship teams and bikes around the world, how much of this is tagged on to the price of a trials bike and spares to the clubman, I don

I don't know why you have such a negative attitude to the wtc.

Cos your the easiest parrot on here to wind up, Ham is a bit more of a challenge and a lot more fun.

"I say live and let live it does sustain itself or it wouldn't exist." national health exists

"Giving a young rider

Edited by ishy

Love or hate Trials, but its about supply and demand. END OF

I must admit it is boring to watch and if im wrong then just go and observe as that would be an admission to the love of the sport.

Maybe in the 60`s and so on yes it was popular but times change and the indoor XGames surpass the days of kickstart. :)

I enjoy riding trials, just don't think the world championship does any good for the sport.

Dabster says it sustains itself, last I knew it was individuals or clubs that take on the financial burdon of actualy putting an event on, and fact is many loose a shed load doing so.