Bernie's Book

76ty175

WOW, what a flashback. It is amazing to get a glimpse into your past of a day long gone. Thank you for posting these pictures.

The other rider is my Montesa Teammate Rich Delaney. His son Ian is now a top rider on Team Sherco.

I remember we stayed with the local dealer in Tucson and we had a good time. The old 247 looks like it is working well. I've got my Dunlop wellies on, my ski cap along with a Big John coveralls that were imported by Knobby Shop Int'l. Got the Bow-Legged stance going on. Not bad form. :rotfl: I still have that number plate.

I always teased Bernie and author Len Weed that they left me out of the book. The 1974 NATC results were the first year of the US Nationals as a series. 1972 & 1973 were a 2 day (weekend) Championship and were organized by the MOTA club in Michigan. I rode the whole series in 74 and Bernie only rode 2 events and he still tied me for 9th in the series. Lots of good riders on that list.

Thanks again. Martin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always teased Bernie and author Len Weed that they left me out of the book. The 1974 NATC results were the first year of the US Nationals as a series. 1972 & 1973 were a 2 day (weekend) Championship and were organized by the MOTA club in Michigan. I rode the whole series in 74 and Bernie only rode 2 events and he still tied me for 9th in the series. Lots of good riders on that list.

Thanks again. Martin

The MOTA club is still alive and well. MOTA

We have a pretty good series with events in Michigan, Indiana and Ontario.

Dick DeBolt is still very active in trials, riding and organizing.

Bob Hopkins is another name I recognize from when I was a youngen.

Edited by ZIPPY

More pic's from the book. I was evey fortunate to be able to go to the 83 Belgian round when I was stationed in Germany with the USAF. And the mud was something else. Never got quite use to pomfrits with mayo. (French fries for you yanks). Had a good time and the locals were wonderful.

scan0011.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bernie's book is still available even though it's been out of print for some time. I picked up a copy a few years ago from Whitehorse Press. A google search for it will turn up a couple results for copies...

Any one got a copy of Lane Levitt's trials book?

• 1 month later...

'motorcycle trials' techniques and training.. my copy is on the desk top as i type, i prefer it to the schrieber book as its less about me me me and more about riding although the two are very similar ( given that len weed wrote both!)

those black and white photos are what got me turned on by trials way back when.. for all the advances todays trick colour 3000th sec shots dont have the same atmosphere..

• 2 months later...

Really cool to see; I grew up oogling this book and cherish it even more now that it's OOP. A good friend even has a copy signed, personally, by none other than Bernie himself.

In many ways, Ryan Young and others have filled the gaps that this book left and refined the instruction with video almost down to being very close to in the same room as the instructors. Very cool to see!

Really cool to see; I grew up oogling this book and cherish it even more now that it's OOP. A good friend even has a copy signed, personally, by none other than Bernie himself.

In many ways, Ryan Young and others have filled the gaps that this book left and refined the instruction with video almost down to being very close to in the same room as the instructors. Very cool to see!

Ryan is always a Hoot! Get him out to do a school if you can. Get 10-15 riders for the weekend and you can do it!

He is well versed in in both the Bernie and modern styles. As a warning, do not set him up with a tight uphill turn in the woods, he just pings the front off 3-4 trees and comes back to you! Nuts! :D

Back in 87 a few of us on the Fantic team spent an entire week with Bernie after the CA Nationals that year. A lot of the pictures in the book were taken at a cool practise area where Bernie used to go a lot! We got to spend a day practising with him at that very location and it was cool to try some of the sections where pics for the book were taken!

Steve

I've got my Dunlop wellies on, my ski cap along with a Big John coveralls that were imported by Knobby Shop Int'l.

I can't remember selling coveralls???!!!! :D

I remember KSI (Knobby Shop Int) They built the KSI Thumper MX bike.

I remember Maurice Arden sold "Big John" boots back in the early seventies tho'

I have all those books, Bernie's book as above, the Len Weed book MotorCycle Trials Techniques & Training jointly with Lane Leavitt, the one before the Bernie book which had Lane Leavitt on the cover; "Trials Riding" by Max King (several editions) Don Smith's "Ride it" and "Trials Riding". Must sell some one-day!

Big John

dont sell them John you will only regret it later

I lost my copy of Bernies book moving house but wish I still had it.

did tarres ever do any training videos or books ?

I ve read and watched loads of stuff over the years but my first world championship still eludes me.

Hoping Tarres or Dougie guidance might be the missing piece of the jigsaw

A couple weeks ago I was able to get a copy of Mick Andrews' "The Mick Andrews Book of Trials" and I'm pleased I did.

I'll list the other trials books and vintage dirt bike books I've got and maybe someone will spot one that I don't have so I can watch for it, or it will give other people some ideas for their "I need to get" lists. I may have a copy of Max King's book but if so it is hiding. Are there any books on off-road riding that were done in Australia/New Zealand back in the day?

"The complete book of motorcycle trials" Don Smith

"Motor Cycle Trials Techniques and Training" Leavitt and Weed

"Observed Trials" Schreiber and Weed

"How to ride observed trials just for fun" Carl Shipman (Carl was in the New Mexico Trials Assn when I was in the early/mid 1970s)

"Trials - a rider's guide" Don Morely

"Sammy Miller on Trials" Miller

"The Trials Motorcyclist" Robin Perry

"Clean to the finish" Miller/BMS Ltd.

"20 years of twinshock trials 1965-1985 vol 1 and 2" A & J Hulme

"Four-stroke Finale?" Sandham & Dickinson

"British Trials Motorcycles "The men and their machines" Ralph Venables/BMS Ltd

"Classic British Trials Bikes" Morely

"Classic British Two-stroke Trials Bikes" Morely

"Spanish Trials Bikes" Morely

"Sammy Miller Story" Jeff Clew

"Historia de la Sherpa T" Boet-Stauffacher

non-trials stuff:

"British Scrambles Motorcycles" Venables/BMS Ltd

"Mr. Moto-cross" Torsten Hallman

"The technique of motocross" Ake Jonsson

"The Woods Rider" Robin Perry

"Enduro" Thomas Firth Jones

"How to win motocross" Gary Bailey and Carl Shipman

"Motocross - The big leap" Frank Melling

Ride it! "The complete book of Motocross" Frank Melling

"Motocross, Techniques, training and tactics" Lackey and Weed

"Complete book of motocross" Jim Davis and Bob Jackson

"Il grande libro delle Moto da Regolarita"

"Classic Bultaco Motocross motorcycles in color" Conboy

"International Six Days Trial" Walker and Corrick

"Classic British Scramblers" Morely

"Design and tuning for motocross" Gianatsis

"Motocross/Off-road motorcycle performance handbook" Gorr

"Motorcycle tuning for performance" Shipman

"The Rickman Story" Gittens

"Motocross The Golden Years" Paul Stephens

"Two stroke tuners handbook" Gordon Jennings

"Motorcycle Engineering" Phil Irving

"Hodaka - PABATCO" HAckett, Stannard, Stannard

ETA: : "Tuning for Speed" Irving

cheers,

Michael

Edited by MichaelMoore

did tarres ever do any training videos or books ?

I'm converting all my old VHS Trials tapes to DVD and I remember one of

Jordi teaching in Spanish, with voiceover in Italian and Japanese subtitles......:D

Jon

add to your list Don Smiths 'trials bike riding' I have 4 very different 'editions of the Max king Book i think there may be five or more all told. From the annals of a time ong ago A B Bournes ' Trials and trials riding' and my very favourite Phillip H Smiths 'the greatest of all trials' a pre 1930 history of the Scott trial including a staged photo of Alan Jefferies on Ilkley Moor ironically at least 6 miles from the route of any Scott Trial !

I collect Scott and Ilkley Grand national trial programmes, the earliest Scott programme i have is 1927 and a couple of other pre war years. i have all the 1950's and sixties programmes framed in my office.. the scary thing is though i ride Pre65 and some of those named from the 50's/60's are still riding today.. and better then me!