Jake's Rant

I've seen what he's saying on here myself - Folk criticising the World Championship who I know have never been to a World Championship round. I've done the majority of World rounds with Jake since G2F Media and Trials Central teamed up back in 2005 (blimey is it really that long ago!) taking us from the UK all over Europe to Duluth in the USA and TTC in Tennessee to Japan and all over coming back again (okay we both missed Guatemala deliberately because neither of us fancied being shot at!) but we've travelled a lot together, we've heard the criticisms and we've laughed at the armchair critics. I can totally see his point and can totally see his "rant" as being justified, albeit mellowed somewhat...

I'm really happy for jake and andy to have been able to travel the world and attend so many wtc rounds, especially during the previous years economic downturn, I'm sure you may have both done a great deal for the promotion of trials, I don't however think that any of your efforts have gone un-rewarded

Edited by Slapshot 3

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having ridden the SSDT this year and every other year for the last 10 years we were sent up to somewhere near where a few of the sections are going to be and I had a quick look when I rode past and the terrain is fantastic. So what thats its in Scotland? Do you think they all moan in the USA or say even France when they have rounds at opposite ends of the country each year? Doubt it very much. Theres a small football tournament due to start tomorrow and I wouldnt like to guess how many England fans have paid hard earned money to go all the way to South Africa to watch us get defeated as usual. At least with the trial its something we all share as a passion and maybe just maybe Doug can achieve that illusive 100th win. I for one am going up to support the British lads and watch the unbelievable skills of Toni and co. If Doug did manage to sneak that illusive win at least I could say I was there and I saw it whereas all the armchair critics will no doubt make their excuses.

my take on this for what it's worth is that people will attend a world round only if they want to, not out of duty. I happen to want to attend because I think a combination of the venue, Martin Lampkin's section plotting ability and Jake's organisational skills should make for a great event.

I'm also enthused by watching the last couple of rounds on Sky - I think the tight time limit in the sections has made for better viewing. When you compare it with last year most of the extra time allowed in sections was used for balancing anyway. I have nothing like the experience of Jake or Andy, but I've been to the majority of UK rounds since Bainbridge in 82/83. The least enjoyable of those was Carlisle - i just found the sections incredibly samey with a splat, turn, gap, dropoff being used over and over.

With regard to

all the talk of who is COC is wide of the mark.. watch the tv coverage of the MTB downhill and marvel at the size of the crowds and the 'experience' rock bands playing whilst waiting for the next rider down the hot seat the mtb downhill pulls the crowds because of the experience and the aspirational lifestyle on show.. add English chances of glory and you've a winner

Well said Jake !!! .... and as one involved in this Industry and Sport for a long time as well (and my youthful looks disguise that also !!) I'm considering the event as a "WHOLE" weekend of Entertainment watching not only the World's best riders BUT now with the "GENIUS" of "KICKSTART" on the Friday I simply can't wait.

Well worth the journey to a fabulous location - EVERYONE involved deserves a huge pat on the back (and that's before we've even got there).

Bring it on !!!

all the talk of who is COC is wide of the mark.. watch the tv coverage of the MTB downhill and marvel at the size of the crowds and the 'experience' rock bands playing whilst waiting for the next rider down the hot seat the mtb downhill pulls the crowds because of the experience and the aspirational lifestyle on show.. add English chances of glory and you've a winner

I'm sure you must mean BRITISH chances...... :P If not I'll go and buy a Japanese flag and cheer Fuji on all weekend!

I think the COC comments are rather closer to the mark than people, especially those with COC quals (yeah me too), would like to read. As the official IN CHARGE of a trial it's his job to ensure it's right, the trial ultimately has his mark on it.

Hasn't Caroline summed the whole point of this up??

What's wrong with us banjo players? Am I the only banjo player that also rides trials....and enjoys them both?

I also enjoy both but my banjo playing is worse than my trials riding - say no more ! :P

Hasn't Caroline summed the whole point of this up??

For sure Donald, I'm really looking forward to it regardless of rules, regulations or whatever else. All involved in setting this up should be highly commended by the trials community as far as I'm concerned. I'm going because 'I Love Trials' - no other reason. Watching world class riders, the smell of two stroke, the banter, the midges, the memories etc etc.....

If it was at the other end of the country, I'd still be going. Stop, no stop, whatever, I'd still be going. Trials is a minority sport and I try my best to promote it locally so when someone endevours to promote it on a national (world?) level then they have my respect.

No doubt after the event has passed there will be numerous topics and many opinions on all that happened - that's what these forums are for after all. In the meantime though, let's not put a cloud over what has the making of an excellent event.

The soap box will now be turned upside down and be used for packing essential spectator items........I'll leave the waterproofs near the top though!

GJ :)

A banjo-playing, motorcycling Scot....you don't know Stuart Todd by any chance, do you?

Sorry HL, I'm more of a banjo 'owner' than a 'player' ! It hangs in the kitchen next to the crossbow to scare away unwanted visitors :)

I've just always loved the sound of the banjo after being dragged round folk clubs as a kid. Never really got passed Flower of Scotland or the first few lines from Duelling Banjos so I don't really know much about the names associated with them. Do you think Stuart does lessons?

GJ :P

maybe just maybe Doug can achieve that illusive 100th win. I for one am going up to support the British lads and watch the unbelievable skills of Toni and co. If Doug did manage to sneak that illusive win at least I could say I was there and I saw it whereas all the armchair critics will no doubt make their excuses.

lets not get carried away