Changing The Van But Need Advice On Which To Change To.

Currently running a Nissan Primastar but i am looking to change in the next few weeks and have narrowed it down to the following.

Transit

Toyota Hiace

VW T5

Mercedes Vito

Did look at the Renault, Vauxhall, Nissan vans (all the same as mine just badge engineered) but have heard some bad reports.

Considered the Citroen, Fiat, Peugeot but again heard of reliability problems.

So what experience has everybody had especially with the four i prefer? I am open to other suggestions but i need a proper sized van as it's not used just for carrying the bike, sometimes 3 bikes, but also to tow a burger van and shift stuff / rubbish etc. I also like the idea of having somewhere to get changed without bending over especially when it's wet or snowing.

Would like to get reasonable fuel economy too, obviously, and be able to cruise at 70 - 80 on the motorway. Oh yes need 3 front seats.

I am looking for something under 20K miles and under 2 years old as i intend keeping the van for a few years.

SO panel what would you advise ?

My 07 nissan primerstar is spot on for the money,its the 2ltr which is far better than the 1.9ltr that i had. Also had a 06 veto and hated it,bad on fuel and cramped driving position[foot park brake].Had a 07 tranny on loan which was good but still prefer my nissan,mine is a lwb which has loads of usable room. Drove a vw once and found it cramped and very on off turbo, which was hard work on back roads. My 03 nissan had done 115k miles and still felt like 40k. Hope this info is usefull.

Also had 4x 03 fiat hdi's, cost me lots of money in breakdowns. Flywheels and fuel pumps,not much room in the back but very fast.

Edited by albert

My 07 nissan primerstar is spot on for the money,its the 2ltr which is far better than the 1.9ltr that i had. Also had a 06 veto and hated it,bad on fuel and cramped driving position[foot park brake].Had a 07 tranny on loan which was good but still prefer my nissan,mine is a lwb which has loads of usable room. Drove a vw once and found it cramped and very on off turbo, which was hard work on back roads. My 03 nissan had done 115k miles and still felt like 40k. Hope this info is usefull.

Also had 4x 03 fiat hdi's, cost me lots of money in breakdowns. Flywheels and fuel pumps,not much room in the back but very fast.

Thanks for that. To tell the truth i was quite enjoying driving the Primastar but i've had some electrical issues, well i assume they are electrical because the garage charged me for 3 hours labour messing about with the wiring unpluging this and that but couldnt find anything, with the dashboard lighting up like a christmas tree then the engine cutting out. Seems ok at the moment following the trip to the garage but i just dont trust it anymore especially as the garage couldnt find anything specifically wrong.

Just seems like time to get rid and buy something more more reliable but the question is what?

Take on board your comments and i have a test drive booked next week in a Vito and a Hiace but all a test drive tells you is what it's like to drive not what it's like to live with which is why i am asking for peoples experiances.

Thanks very much for your input though. appreciate it. ^_^

If you want reliability ......................buy the Hiace...................all are built to a very high standard in Japan

Runs like a 4RT

Drives like a car

Between now and your test drive, keep your eyes open and lookout for all the Hiaces, knocking about

Look at the 96/97/98 Powervans driving about...................can you see rust, nope - not like Vito or Sprinters/Transits.................paint will still be fresh and mechanically they will be A1

They run twin batteries, so start like a Swiss watch

don't get a vito they're **** and when they get the dredded injector leak it costs a fortune! just got a scudo after selling vito has 3 front seats gets 3 bikes in the back and is good on fuel

No problem happy to help,i think its pot luck with any 2nd hand van. My vans have been for my company , my 07 nissan i have had from new but was for a member of staff but now i have got it and it drives spot on. I also have a swb vivaro 06 1.9 which is good but not as good as nissan, it has a few anoying running points[over run when setting off and tick over low at junctions] 57k and bought second hand. The 03 nissan 1.9 did the same 60k>115k and bought 2nd hand one owner. My advice is to try a van several times and get the best deal you can,giving you a margin for any repair without feeling to hard done . Its down to which van you like the most ,try them all but be in no rush and look for one thats had one driver from new. When i had 4x scudo's they where driven by lots of different staff and i believe this does them no good. Like i have said i have been impressed with the 2lt and it has had one driver for the past 3 years, lots of room in the lwb.

Again hope you find my comments of some use.

sounds like we've had the gambit of vivaro/trafic/primatar problems.. i 've had the mystery electrics and cutting out on my traffic main dealer pulled all the electrics out for a full day and when it went back together it ran perfect but they didnt dare charge me as they said they didnt know what they had fixed so would guarentee it. eventually changed key and fob (180 quid) and its ok now also the circlip comes out of the power steering and cant be replaced and wait for the 2nd fuel pump to go and the 700 quid bill that follows this on an 04 with 50k.. oh and odnt let the pads on the rear discs get too low as the disc incoprates the bearings and housing and stands at about 150 a wheel..

Volswagen T 5 , go for the five cylinder or the new four,

Good on fuel , mega fast, but initial purchase could be expensive, good resale value.

If you keep it tidy and low mileage,you could always do a camper conversion ,and still get strong money back for it ?

Hiace is reliable, but if you dont get a turbo one it is a bit slow,not so good on fuel.

Edited by motomike

blimey what a load of problems on the vivaro based vans plus they have probs on gearboxes.im been looking for a van last 2 years for working every day im a motorcycle mobile mechanic so not a big van but enough to carry bikes,and i only do 300 miles a week so dont need modern van just reliable and cheap im trying to find good early traffic as low down at back for easy loading. i hate motors that go rusty. just for a tempory motor i bought a 806 the older 1905 turbo car its like a van by taking seats out and very nice to drive,they dont rust,40 mpg on run,but needs trailer for bigger bikes. buts its done 250 thousand miles it dont use any oil or water i would happily drive around the world without looking under bonnet.i only paid

I'm guessing you don't have Hyundai vans in the UK but the iLoad has taken off here like wildfire with tradies, delivery drivers and private users too. It is a recent and modern-looking design, is good to drive, good value, good on juice and if it is like previous Hyundais (imported since about 1984 here) will be good in the reliability and durability stakes too. iLoad has only been on the market two years so far.

Hiace and Vito are the main models losing sales to the iLoad here.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/iLoad/default.as...%20iLoad%202010

I have had a Hiace D4D for 4 years and 180000 miles. No problems mechanical, or electrical.

No rust. Still starts and runs like new.

I also have a 2010 vito. Comfy, quick and economical. Too early to say if the rust problems are a thing of the past.

Hope this helps.

Well firstly thanks to everybody who profered their opinions / experiences.

After taking a test drive in my short list i tried one other not on the list and have now revised my chosen van to either a Transit, yes i know but it is good value for money, or a Merceedes Sprinter.

If i can run to it then it will be the Sprinter as it just ticked all the boxes. I realised i need more head room and load space than the VW, Toyota or the Vito could give me.

Will let you know next week if i have been able to do a deal on one. If not it will be the Transit and a copy of the Sun LOL.

Edited by Old trials fanatic