Is Four Stroke Fading Away?..

captaincaveman

The cost of two strokes will go up as emission regs force them to use EFI. Osaa will be the first. The new CEO at Gas Gas has already stated that it is his goal to bring EFI to their two stroke models.

No Factory has produced the ultimate 4T yet: the Mont needs to shed some lbs and gain CC's, the Beta needs EFI, the Scorpa needs a smaller top end, the Sherco needs work.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I keep going out to the garage to look, but mine has not faded away, in the least. Wish it would learn to wash itself though.

Whoa! Wait a minute. It has faded. In fact, it's gone. Off to California, to it's new owner. New 2011 Beta on the way, and what's this? It's a 2-stroke! After 7 years as a 4-stroke fan, I am returning to the dark side. Can't wait to see how I get along with it, after so long on nothing but thumpers.

What size Evo did you get Darryl, give us a first impression report when you get a chance. What bought on the change back to 2T.

Went with a 250. Nothing I do requires a 290. Went back to a 2-stroke for practical reasons. Never had problems selling my 4-strokes in the past, but I guess the market is shrinking, cause it took two years when I went to sell this last one. Even then, that was drastically discounting it below it's real value. So, pay more up front, and take a greater loss in the end, just doesn't make financial sense. A shame, cause I MUCH prefer a 4-stroke.

Went with a 250. Nothing I do requires a 290. Went back to a 2-stroke for practical reasons. Never had problems selling my 4-strokes in the past, but I guess the market is shrinking, cause it took two years when I went to sell this last one. Even then, that was drastically discounting it below it's real value. So, pay more up front, and take a greater loss in the end, just doesn't make financial sense. A shame, cause I MUCH prefer a 4-stroke.

Then you should have bought a Mont a long time ago.

The 250 Evo should be sweet, though! :rolleyes:

Both the 2T and 4T bikes work well! Pick what you like the best.

I'm with Steve on this. I've spent a fair amount of time working with both two and four stroke

technology under severe racing circumstances and I find no overall clear advantage of one over

the other. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, depending on the application, and to

pronounce one as crap and the other as great indicates a lesser rather than a greater amount of

real knowledge/experience has been brought to bear on the subject. When properly cared for, both

types of engines can be long-lived.

The re-introduction of the four stroke to Trials competition is relatively new when one considers

the beginning of the two stroke domination started in the mid-60's with Mr. Miller's development

of the Sherpa-T. I doubt the four stroke will fade away but that the decisions made by the various

manufacturing companies to fund further development/refinement of the 4T will have a direct effect

on the acceptance by the general riding population.

Jon