Is Four Stroke Fading Away?..

captaincaveman

I liked his explanation and theory just thought I would translate it for the hard of reading.

Ps

Being an ageing git who now can only ride traditional sections with minimal stopping and hopping I still do like me 4rt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have a 2000 sherco 2.9 2T, I like it very much. I prefer 2T for ease of maintenance and the way the engine reacts.

One of our competitors in MOTA has a Beta Evo 4T and he let me take it for a spin. I was quite surprised with the bike. Did not really feel all that heavy and had shed loads of torque on the bottom. I stopped at the bottom of a medium steep hill and blasted up from dead stop, went over a 18inch-24inch size log in the middle of the hill. After going over the log I shut the throttle right off and it was so quiet I almost thought it stopped running. When the rear tire touched down on the dirt again, I opened up the throttle and just powered right up the rest of the hill. All this without pulling in the clutch lever.

So Moral of the story "Buy what you like and enjoy it"

I can still get parts for my 10 year old beast, so I am certain parts will be available for the 4t's even if they stop producing the bikes.

I hear what your saying Zippy as I would like a four stroke 'cos it's suits my (lack of) style but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cost between my 05 two stroke and a 2008/9/10 four stroke.

So my question to you is ; Was that Beta $3/4000? better than your Sherco ?

I currently have a 2000 sherco 2.9 2T, I like it very much. I prefer 2T for ease of maintenance and the way the engine reacts.

One of our competitors in MOTA has a Beta Evo 4T and he let me take it for a spin. I was quite surprised with the bike. Did not really feel all that heavy and had shed loads of torque on the bottom. I stopped at the bottom of a medium steep hill and blasted up from dead stop, went over a 18inch-24inch size log in the middle of the hill. After going over the log I shut the throttle right off and it was so quiet I almost thought it stopped running. When the rear tire touched down on the dirt again, I opened up the throttle and just powered right up the rest of the hill. All this without pulling in the clutch lever.

So Moral of the story "Buy what you like and enjoy it"

I can still get parts for my 10 year old beast, so I am certain parts will be available for the 4t's even if they stop producing the bikes.

Godd comments Zippy. Its nice to hear an honest impression of a 4T and not the comments laced with prejudice. There is a place in our sport for both. I think the 4T's are here to stay.

I hear what your saying Zippy as I would like a four stroke 'cos it's suits my (lack of) style but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cost between my 05 two stroke and a 2008/9/10 four stroke.

So my question to you is ; Was that Beta $3/4000? better than your Sherco ?

Answer: NOPE!

At this point with my level of riding my current 2000 sherco is much more capable than I am.

A newer bike would be nice, but this one works just fine..........I also find it easier to justify rebuilding a 10 year old engine as apposed to a 3 year old one. :marky:

Artie,

On occasion I can be honest and have helpful, meaningful comments...............Don't happen often though :rolleyes::marky:

Source?

There was a email sent out to most of the NZ riders in the last few weeks with photos, have a look at the non stop adventures website & you may find the photos. Basically its very similar to the scorpa ty175f-same motor but a gas gas frame & better looking rear guard

There was a email sent out to most of the NZ riders in the last few weeks with photos, have a look at the non stop adventures website & you may find the photos. Basically its very similar to the scorpa ty175f-same motor but a gas gas frame & better looking rear guard

It is a pretty neat looking entry-level bike. A Yamaha 4T engine and electric start as I remember.

Jon

Sorry I havent read all of the thread but if your new to trials you dont want a 300 pro, way too much power.

Ive got one and theres a whole list of things I have done to calm it down.......

... :marky: .Surely not......You'll be retarding the ignition and putting a larger rear sprocket on next.....then it's a slippery slope down-hill into semi-retirement (like me) :rolleyes: ?!

Good choice!

BTW, in our local clubs, only the Championship (national caliber) riders generally get the 300cc. Expert riders get a 280cc, generally. Advanced to Intermediate tend to favor the 250. Beginner classes are 200-250, unless they are really heavy riders.

A small expert rider I know HATES the 300, says it's way too jumpy.

If you ride lots and lots of hillclimbs (we don't) then I suppose a 300 would be good, however.

For non-national-class sections, I can't imagine my 280 not having enough power.

Try both a 280 and 300 in sections, and see which you like best.

If you're a beginning rider, get a 250, and the slow-black-throttle tube, and consider a smaller front sprocket!

Hi,

So why would the 300 Gas Gas be less powerfull then the 280 Gas Gas! and with some mods could the 300 match the 280? just that i can get hold of the 300 easyer than the 280 in my price range..

Thanks

Hi,

So why would the 300 Gas Gas be less powerfull then the 280 Gas Gas! and with some mods could the 300 match the 280? just that i can get hold of the 300 easyer than the 280 in my price range..

Thanks

It's not the "power" (as in horsepower) as much as the torque produced by the 300, which is actually just a few cc's larger in capacity than the 280 (294 vs 272 cc's). The 300 produces torque lower in the RPM range and is not as quick-reving to a degree than the 280 (heavier piston and other minor differences) which makes it a little easier to ride with less throttle input necessary to overcome obstacles.

I had one of the few JTR370's imported into the US in 1996 and found, even with the PWK28 Keihin I put on it, easier to ride than the JTR270 in most instances. The 370 was a 338cc, high compression gentle giant that would grunt up sections that other riders had to spin their engines to get through. So, most of the time it was an easier bike to ride, for me anyway.

Jon