Dougie's Beta failure

t-shock 250

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gassers, Sherco's etc ALL have their problems, but Beta's seem to be top of the pile, a very poor show from the Beta camp regarding one of their top riders machines..........................as others have stated,he may not have this problem next year!

How many times, Doug has renewed for Beta & also Dabill has renewed for GG, End of.

...........As many times as people want to say it until such times as it's officially announced...END OF!!

So unless you happen to be Doug Lampkin or Jake Miller or James Dabill or any other that might be involved in discussion or negotiations you are speculating the same as every one else.

Beta Stators - well known problem I've a 02 thats still on it's original. Who makes Beta's stators because it wouldn't be cost effective to them to make there own. That's where the problem lies and yes maybe Beta should have changed them but if they buy a job lot they still have to use them. I suggest there is a similar issue with Carbs..... As others have said Doug and the top riders push these bikes harder and further than we ordinary blokes ever will, they fail, it's just unlucky that Doug's fail at the worst possible moments.....

...........As many times as people want to say it until such times as it's officially announced...END OF!!

So unless you happen to be Doug Lampkin or Jake Miller or James Dabill or any other that might be involved in discussion or negotiations you are speculating the same as every one else.

Beta Stators - well known problem I've a 02 thats still on it's original. Who makes Beta's stators because it wouldn't be cost effective to them to make there own. That's where the problem lies and yes maybe Beta should have changed them but if they buy a job lot they still have to use them. I suggest there is a similar issue with Carbs..... As others have said Doug and the top riders push these bikes harder and further than we ordinary blokes ever will, they fail, it's just unlucky that Doug's fail at the worst possible moments.....

Dabill's new contract is official, Not sure if Lampkin's is as yet, So don't know for sure But I'm pretty sure Doug Has renewed for Beta in San Marino. Can't see Doug going to GG.

Anyway, Shame for Doug though, Really thought he was going to do well in the Scott this year, Better luck next time Doug.

Edited by GasGasben

exactly.. how many of the worlds allegedly best riders have ridden the scott or the ssdt for that matter. its my great hope ( having booked my accomodation this weekend) that messers bou raga et al may grace fort william this may..

exactly.. how many of the worlds allegedly best riders have ridden the scott or the ssdt for that matter. its my great hope ( having booked my accomodation this weekend) that messers bou raga et al may grace fort william this may..

Surely IF they did come it would mean having to work harder than usual which would mean a contractual problem undoubtedly causing cost of bikes to rise etc etc. It would be nice for these "top" riders to do something other than what they are contracted to do, it would be nice if they just turned up "quietly" like Cabastany did last year and enjoyed the trial for what it is. Personally after 10 years of avoiding Sherco's and running Beta's I have changed to Sherco this year and wonder if all the issues raised above have had some subliminal affect on my decision making.

Are trials bikes becomming too light? Is all this developement really worthwhile. I watched at Whaw Bridge (Scott) on Saturday and most of the riders made no better job of it than we did on Bultacos back in the 1970s. Considering we now have stickier tyres, whats the result of the rest of the changes?

Frames crack (Beta) Fuel tanks crack (Sherco)Gearboxes break (Gasgas), none of them have decent size petrol tanks and its a hideous job stripping bits off to get water out of the carb.

Perhaps its time to have a rethink about just what we want from trials, maybe a minimum weight limit, ban magnesium and only allow thick weldable aluminium, decent cheap mudguards etc.

As it is new bike sales are hrdly booming ?

Cheers

The electrical problem suffered at the Scott by Doug Lampkin is, in this case unique to the "factory" bike he is supplied with. The electrics used on Doug's bike are not items used on production Betas.

The electrical systems are bespoke, as is the motor on the factory bike.

OK, to the general public, it doesn't appear satisfactory, but we are talking about a factory competition machine which is totally different to production machines.

The electrics are designed to run Doug's motor and would probably not work if fitted to a standard motor. The world championship machine is designed to do that job, not the Scott or SSDT.

Big John

Edited by Big John

Big John - you say the WTC machine is not designed for Scott or SSDT, perhaps someone should have told Doug? I don't know if Martin was at the Scott but I bet his face would have been picture if someone had told him his lad was on the wrong bike!

Unfortunately some of this topic is speculation because we don't know whats in Dougs Beta, nor do we know exactly what went wrong. In view of the level of interest perhaps BETA UK could tell us exactly when they find out. The fact is Doug has run out of sparks on two significant occasions and this happens to other Beta riders all too frequently. I have an 07 125 Beta and it had new electrics before I bought it and I think every Beta I know (mainly 250s) has had to have at least new stator coils.

Basically the electrics on a bike consist of, flywheel with magnets, lighting source coil or coils, ignition source coil or coils, ignition trigger coil, control unit and HT coil and wires between. With the exception of dumping the lighting components and their mountings there really is not any scope for significant lightening of components. If I had to guess I would suggest Dougs bike would have the lighting bits removed and a programmable "ignition only" control box fitted instead of the standard item.

Cheers

Perhaps a bespoke factory WTC machine was not the best choice of machine for the event. A F1 racing car is the fastest thing around a race track but you wouldn't use it to go on holiday in.

I bet the Lampkin team has lots of bikes tucked away in the workshop from years ago that would have done the job ok, but then hind sight is a wonderful thing.

Terribly frustrating for all concerned.