What were they thinking ?

old trials fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-BEAMISH-MONOSHOCK-250cc-Trials-Bike-/180624551151?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2a0e0fecef

Now is this an air cooled monoshock or just a travesty ? Thought it was April 1st.

I don't recall these these being any use anyway apart from when they were converted to 'lunatic trikes'

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/classics_a/images/Beamish_RL325_outfit.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-BEAMISH-MONOSHOCK-250cc-Trials-Bike-/180624551151?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2a0e0fecef

Now is this an air cooled monoshock or just a travesty ? Thought it was April 1st.

'spose it was a last ditch attempt to keep the Beamish competitive. Seems a tidy job and shouldn't be too much bother to undo.

Why not ? I'm sure at the time it was done the Beamish wasn't considered a classic. Who knew old twinshocks would become so saught after and valuable. I once grafted a TY175 engine into an XL185 chassis. Why did I do it ? I don't know but I enjoyed doing it and I was only 17 at the time. I even entered an enduro on it. It was only the exhaust and silencer that let me down as it was too narrow and smothered power. The silencer I actuallly made myself from scratch. Creating and modifying is a learning curve. I think we should respect peoples home made efforts rather than mocking them. Why don't people post more photos of their efforts on this site ?

OK surprisingly a lot of you dont see it the way i do. Fair enough. but what are you going to do with it? Where are you going to ride it? What class would you enter? If it turned up at one of our trials it would have to enter as an air cooled mono by definition and as such it would be totally uncompetitive.

I admire the engineering concept but dont follow the logic.

Oh well must be me. :chairfall:

OK surprisingly a lot of you dont see it the way i do. Fair enough. but what are you going to do with it? Where are you going to ride it? What class would you enter? If it turned up at one of our trials it would have to enter as an air cooled mono by definition and as such it would be totally uncompetitive.

I admire the engineering concept but dont follow the logic.

Oh well must be me. :chairfall:

What's this, poacher turned game keeper ?

You could turn up at most club trials and ride any class you want? Beginer, Clubman, 50-50 (If your brave) Expert (if your insane)

Yes it dosn't fit into the Twinshock, Air Cooled Mono etc. etc class, but someone could put the bum on any old bike and have a bit of fun if that is what he or she wants without the judges condeming them <_<

You could turn up at most club trials and ride any class you want? Beginer, Clubman, 50-50 (If your brave) Expert (if your insane)

Yes it dosn't fit into the Twinshock, Air Cooled Mono etc. etc class, but someone could put the bum on any old bike and have a bit of fun if that is what he or she wants without the judges condeming them <_<

No!!!!!!! 'tis the work of the Devil!

BURN IT !!!

Why dont you think it fits into the Air Cooled Mono class ? It is air cooled and it is a mono.

What's this, poacher turned game keeper ?

I always admire good engineering. Dont know if this is an example or not. My comments in the past about monoshocks converted to twinshocks come from the basis of the unfair advantage principle. My comments about Scottish eligability come from the fact that things arent applied even handedly to ALL bikes i.e. some are allowed to be oil in frame some others are not and in Yorks some, cubs in particular, are allowed any carbs while other bikes are hampered by having to use Amal Mk1's. Just like to see a bit of transparancy thats all.

As for this bike well it is different. Perhaps there should be a class for this and the monoshock OSSA's that Cliff Holden made?

Still in retrospect think it is an Air Cooled Mono and would be welcome to ride in that class.

Back on the engineering theme i am torn at the moment wheather to try and develop a reed valve 37A Villiers for the James. Have to keep it well hidden though. Then again dont see a mention in a lot of rules about them being banned so perhaps.......

Same reason you would not want a pinky in your trial with 2 shocks on the back. "it's a twin shock" they would be saying... :rotfl:

But a pinky with 2 shocks on would still have an unfair advantage over a Majesty or a Fantic etc whereas this would have a disadvantage over a pinky, Beta, Gas Gas etc etc etc. So to me anyway that would be ok. Same as it would also be ok to me if someone who had converted a pinky to a twinshock rode in the Air Cooled Mono class as they would most definately NOT have an unfair advantage. Just think how good they would feel however if they beat the other Air Cooled Monos? just like Martyn Stanistreet did when he entered the Expert twinshock class at our last event on his James and beat the Majestys, Fantics etc etc.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

But a pinky with 2 shocks on would still have an unfair advantage over a Majesty or a Fantic etc whereas this would have a disadvantage over a pinky, Beta, Gas Gas etc etc etc. So to me anyway that would be ok. Same as it would also be ok to me if someone who had converted a pinky to a twinshock rode in the Air Cooled Mono class as they would most definately NOT have an unfair advantage. Just think how good they would feel however if they beat the other Air Cooled Monos? just like Martyn Stanistreet did when he entered the Expert twinshock class at our last event on his James and beat the Majestys, Fantics etc etc.

OH for Christ's Sake..........buy a damn bike you like and ride it, and people have said that U.S. trials is confusing.