Are older bikes heavy?

airborn

Hi all, ive got a gas gas txt contact 1999 and just started trials as a beginner. Are the older bikes that much heavier

than say a 2005 year bike, the new bikes seem very slim, can they make much difference when you want to hop the front

or rear. when you see the pros ride they make the bike look very light, would a pro be able to make an older heavier bike

move like a new bike?

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy welcome to TC. A 1999 GasGas is a very good bike indeed, the 200 or 250 model might suit a beginner better than the 270/280 version but if it is in good condition, runs well & is well maintained then you will have a bike that is perfect for your needs. Pick the trials that best suit you & enjoy the sport.

Edited by TrialsRfun

Earlier this year I went to a Ryan Young trials school . On the second day after class I asked Ryan to give my trusty 83 fantic 240 pro a shakedown ride so I could get his opinion of how I had the old girl set up ... After he was riding it for about 15 seconds he started doing things that I didn't think a twinshocker was easily capable of . Needless to say I can never blame the bike again !

And with his ever present grin , Ryan said I need a bit more spring preload in front . Still haven't got round to doing it though ...

Weekend before last I went to a event put on by our national twinshock champ ,Larry Holbert , He was riding his old montesa against some modern bikes and was pure poetry to watch ...

Like they used to say ... Roger Decoster could've won on a honda trail 90 !

To answer the question, Yes older bikes are heavier than modern ones.

But of course with proper suspension set-up and technique one can get the older bikes to do many of the things that modern machines can do.

But of course with proper suspension set-up and technique one can get the older bikes to do many of the things that modern machines can do.

I can't!! I have a shed full of fat pigs that need a new home

;rolleyes:

I can't!! I have a shed full of fat pigs that need a new home

;rolleyes:

I never said I could get those old bikes to do that stuff..............just that someone could. :)

But hey Ishy, I could store some of those old bikes for you. The only fee I would charge is that I can ride them if I want to........... :D