Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my brother (Ossa ssdt and Ossa 2011) Loaded the Explorer map. Starting has become more easy and the gas response is very smooth and controlable. A real improvement and greater fun to ride the bike than ever before. All new maps will have the full throttle function which means that fuel injection is only about 20%. Great for kicking it dry.

greetings

Hein

What is the go with using the Explorer map? How does this differ from the Tr280i map?

It is looking like the importer will fly into my area next week to check the computers in my bikes to work out why they are so difficult to start. I want to ensure we get it right while he is here because the local dealer does not have the cables or software to check the maps himself.

Its looking like the idle on both bikes maybe too low. The bikes are supposed to be on Map 13 already but we need to check this as apparantly if they are not uploaded in the correct proceedure the maps don't take so its possible that we might not be on the latest maps.

Its been very frustrating, hopefully we get sorted next week otherwise I am going to have one if not two bikes for sale as they are just far too difficult for two 60kg guys to start how they are right now. Fingers crossed for some magic after the computer fiddle.

i m confident they will get them inproved once on the

computer, but i dont think dealers should be able to sell

the bikes i they cant offer the correct back. the starting

is also down to knack my dealer can start my bike in

three kicks from cold but it takes me seven or eight

but the performance of the bike out weighs the starting

issue. hopefully the next one i get will have ISS start

system.

jsp

One of the bolts fell out of the kick starter tonight, glad it happened in the shed and not on a trial!

I have locktite it into place.

I think maybe the data cables and software are expensive for the dealer according to the importer, since the dealer only sells 3 or 4 Ossa bikes per year they probably won't want to invest in the equipment.

If mine don't get fixed by this update I will be selling one if not both of them which will be sad since I enjoy riding this bike so much but if I can't start it more easily then they are useless. My father is 60 years old and is a small guy, 60kg (not that I am much bigger at 68kg) and he nearly had heat stroke on the last trial from the trouble starting the bike...

Unfortunately here in Australia we have only one importer ( Moto Central ) of the Ossa (TR-280i) and what seems to be several distributors that he has appointed througout Australia,and as everyone now knows "re-mapping" and "checking of engine specs" can not done without "Ossa's" magic box,sofware and a Laptop Computer, which most these people seem reluctant to set themselves up with!

One would imagine the Ossa ( Factory) would not like this type of "aftersales service" of a product that they are trying so desperately to establish against other tried and proven bike manufacturers. These people (Dealers) will gladly take your money for a new bike and make lots of promises about what they will do for you regarding "map upgrades" and the likes in the future,but the reality is once you have the bike its your problem, and unlike other bike brands that tunning can be done by the owner, with our bikes (Ossa's) you are at the "mercy of your dealer" !

I firmly believe that if Ossa don't improve this starting issue and through its dealers possibly offer the new (LSS) starting system to its "more than patient" existing 2011 / 2012 owners and see to it that "all dealers" can do the "map upgrades" there will be plenty of owners at the end day that will sit down and ask themselves what was to be gained by buying the Ossa over the other two popular brands (Gas Gas & Sherco),sure its fuel injected,but it makes no more power and certainly is nowhere near as smooth at low throttle settings as the previous mentioned bikes, neither of which have these starting issues or require it to be taken back to the so called dealer for electrical diagnostic work or tunning problems.

Maybe it is about time the Ossa factory starting receiving more emails from its owners making them aware that some people here in Australia live thousands of kilometres from there "Importer/Distributor" who can be difficult to contact most of the time. I imagine there will be many existing owners of Ossa's that will reluctantly go back to other brands of trials bikes when it is time to upgrade,simply so that they don't have these issues that they have very little control over.

maybe there could be some system of where ossa fund

the computer systems and other items, untill the dealers

sell 10 bikes and then the dealer pays ossa back.

i feel quite lucky that my dealer is only 35 miles away

jsp

Ossa should supply the software to every dealer from day 1 end of story.

Great bike spoilt by hard starting I've emailed the UK importer twice now asking for info on the LSS and got no reply as yet.

I disagree with Digga my Ossa is much smoother and user friendly than my 2010 Gasser.

Edited by Taff_d

Ok, hopefully this will help:

For those who live a distance from their dealer or importer:

Remove your ECU and throttle body, (takes 5 minutes), pop it in the mail, dealer programs it for you, sends it back.

As for the maps, the new maps now come with very different power and characteristics. The map switch, now avail for all bikes switches between these two separate maps and is very useful and noticeable. For bikes currently without a map sw M1 in the map program is used. However, all maps can still be obtained as Ossa has provided the different maps in the M1 position in the program.

The LSS system starts very very easy, the new maps start very easy (first kick when warm, 3rd when cold). Make sure your air filter is clean and lightly oiled, fresh plug, motor cleaned out with a good rev or 6th gear run, fresh gas, don't touch the throttle. All normal items but sometimes an owner needs to look at what they can do.

Now:

Just so the scale is balanced, most carb bikes don't run well unless they are new or well set up, many owners have no idea their carb bike is not running well from a carb perspective, (if I had a nickle for every time an owner says their carb bike is running sweet and I'm cringing at the sound of it), most owners can't set up their carb bike,jmo

cheers, hope this helps

• Like 1