IRC rear tyre problem

curt531

Swap your IRC for the one your mate has and see what happens. I'd bet against your tyre rather than the rim.

sounds like you need to do the bubble test properly if the tyre is leaking you will see,it if its the rim you will see it.Simple

Edited by Nigel Dabster

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like you need to do the bubble test properly if the tyre is leaking you will see,it if its the rim you will see it.Simple

Thats the problem, it does'nt leak !I've had the wheel completely submerged and it does not loose any air from anywhere. ride it, then it goes down, if it was "simple" I would have sorted it long ago !

I had the same problem with a IRC I bought around December last year. I now ride around with a tube in as I gave up. (At my level it doesn't seem to make a difference and the bike is nearly ten years old so the rim may be a little off shape)

I've had it in the bath time after time, I've also had the fairy liquid out, I've had 2 new rim tapes but to be honest I've not tried the one piece band and valve. I do get the odd random bubble over a few minutes but nothing consistent. What I don't understand is why will it keep anything from 5 to 30 psi in it for weeks, then as soon as I ride over a log or small step it goes all at once. Does the tyre expand? :wall:

I had the same problem with a IRC I bought around December last year. I now ride around with a tube in as I gave up. (At my level it doesn't seem to make a difference and the bike is nearly ten years old so the rim may be a little off shape)

I've had it in the bath time after time, I've also had the fairy liquid out, I've had 2 new rim tapes but to be honest I've not tried the one piece band and valve. I do get the odd random bubble over a few minutes but nothing consistent. What I don't understand is why will it keep anything from 5 to 30 psi in it for weeks, then as soon as I ride over a log or small step it goes all at once. Does the tyre expand? :wall:

if, and its a big if, it only goes down when riding then perhaps it is the tyre/rim size that is the problem.

one bubble every 10 secs is a leak.

Thats the problem, it does'nt leak !I've had the wheel completely submerged and it does not loose any air from anywhere. ride it, then it goes down, if it was "simple" I would have sorted it long ago !

it does leak otherwise it wouldnt go down.

does it pop on both sides when you put it on?

if when completely submerged when you try to push the tyre off does it leak then?

trying to help here.

methodical approach should identify.

are you still irc?

Hi mate, I was at Earl Shilton when you started having probs (must be you lol)- I had them side wall punctures that evening on my mich

Anyway just to let you know I had an IRC fitted the next day at Leisure Trail in Long Eaton - been fine no problem at all on the 08 Rev3 ..... just thinking its quite probably the same batch of tyres??

Cheers

Ive taken the tyre off now, although my rim has no leaks or damage I suspect it is part of the problem,I've fitted the IRC to my Gas Gas which is also a Morad rim the same as the Sherco but it stays up & seems fine, refitted my old Michelin back on my sherco & that stays up & also fine with no leaks.It does'nt make sence, maybe the Sherco rim is a bit smaller ? why would one tyre work but another make not ? only thing I do know is i will not be buying another IRC , it has cost me far more than the

Check your spokes.Loose spokes can push against the rim seal band as you ride causing It to leak. When bike sits with no rider, the band stays sealed.

Also found an old Morad rim that had a hairline crack or bad weld at the bead area right where the rim was butt welded during assembly.It was nearly invisible and only leaked air when you were on the bike and the crack was at BDC.

My mates and me included fit a new tyre and use a splash of tyre weld. This seems to work regardless of rim tape and rims etc. Im shortly to buy a new IRC for me 2011 Gasser, as its fine with the current one.

Is it easy to clean this stuff off the rim again when you next change the tyre or does it leave you with a nasty mess?

• 4 months later...

They have changed as a fellow rider measured an old IRC against a new one and the diameter was 4mm larger on the new one. They hold pressure until impact then simply blow air out due to loose rim seal.

agreed , 3 new irc ,s fitted to 3 evos mine and my sons , first section with a step and all went flat, luckily i was 1st back to the vanto get the spare wheel , fitted michelin since and no problems,,

• 1 month later...

I am happy to come upon this thread. My 2010 GG had a brand new IRC when I purchased the machine. SEVERAL times I have had it go flat under heavy riding conditions, as a matter of fact it went flat least weekend when things got a bit hairy. I have no complaints with the tire aside from it going flat and it NEVER looses pressure while sitting all week only out on the trail. I like to keep it at 5psi.

what a pity they can't control the quality when they make them...... I had a problem last year with a bottom limit rim and a top limit tyre so know how frustrating this is...... IRC a better feeling/gripping tyre (around here) than the Michelin X11... IRC shreds up and is too flexible for rocks.. problem for us punters is that Michelin will have monopoly and we all know what that will do to the price. Good observation though as it is generally a more flexible /thin walled tyre you need to run with a bit more pressure than you would a Michelin.