Making a bike less nickable

nedrapier

Afternoon,

Hope to get some replies to this, as my trials career rests on the answers!

I don't have anywhere sensible to keep a bike. Access to flat is up a tight staircase with 180 degree turn. I struggle to get a push bike up there, carried vertically, without putting tyre scuffs on the walls. Friends with better options are all too far in the wrong directions.

So I sack off trials until I move house, who knows when...

Or:

What are the easiest and quickest ways of making a trials bike less nickable from the front of a house?

Front wheel off? HT leads? Handlebars?

Just thinking of what you could unbolt in a few minutes that would render a bike a collection of parts (frame locked up with a chain), rather than a kick-and-go ticket to free money?

Or even in half an hour, that'd still be way quicker than a detour to the nearest friend with a garage.

Or is it just going to get stripped for parts anyway?

Ta!

Edited by nedrapier

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

infortunately almost every bit of your bike is valuable. most parts if clubbed together would be well in excess of your bikes value. just try looking on evilbay at parts for your bike.

then you have scrap value too.

best thing is find a friend who you may be able to store it with.

that or do without trials for the short time till you have somewhere to keep your bike.

Yup, one with an engine. 12kg push bike goes up the stairs, 70kg motorbike would need to be in bits. Not impossible, but a bit of a pain in the a***.

Although... How heavy would a 200cc (motor!)bike be without wheels?

Rear X11 is what? nearly 6kg? Front a bit less? plus rims, spokes, hubs and discs? So take them off and I'd need to lug 50kg ish up the stairs and out the back.

I'll investigate the self storage!

I would have thought there'd be problems with draining flammable fluids? We'll see...

Got to agree with most here.

Dont think I could ever leave my bike outside.

Surely worth finding a friend locally with a secure garage.

If not a friend who is not local where you can store your bike till you move.

Also, you'd be totally uninsured outside so even if they couldn't nick it, whats to stop mindless yoofs smashing it up or setting fire to it?

Not worth risk for 1 night let alone ongoing IMO