Can't Start 4rt

muffin

Hi

Picked up a new Mont 4RT the other day. Yesterday I changed the oil filter and replaced the engine oil as per owners manual. Started the bike afterwards no problem.

Just gone to start the bike again and can't get it going at all. Any ideas on what to try to get it going again?

Cheers

Muffin

Yep, done the charging kicks first. It started yesterday after I did the work, its been 24 hours where the bike has been stood on its side stand and now I am having bother. Bloody kickstand imbedded itself in my leg as well, my fault perhaps for not wearing proper boots, I guess its adding to my frustration!!:-)

maybe you should check spark plug, its probably not dirty, but u may have a faulty one, i had problems starting mine and foun out it was the plug.

failing that check the breather pipe, it may be that the fuel is simply in a vacuum and not reaching the engine.

Thanks, I will check the spark plug and the breather hose. Infact the breather hose is really long and snakes round the handle bars and the end of it pokes out at the side of the left hand engine casing. The breather hose has a joining connection on it as well just above the fuel filler cap, is that right because people I have spoken to say the joining bit in the hose is a restrictor?

As it is new, if I were you I'd go back to the dealer with it. If you mess with anything, no matter how simple, it may invalidate any warranty you have. Some dealers don't need much of an excuse. Even if it turns out to be something simple, best they deal with it rather than you end up paying through invalidated warranty.

Hope you get it sorted. I tried a couple of 4RTs last week and liked very much. Very close to acquiring one.

Obviously I would follow Martin's advice and return the bike to the dealer. I had the same problem with my 4RT when I first got it so I can give you a couple problematic things to check out from my experience.

1. In the beginning I had a bad spark plug so I replaced it.

2. After re-routing the gas tank vent hose I found out that I inadvertantly

re-installed the vent ball restrictor upside down. The white end must be

mounted with white end facing the tank or the ball check inside will create a

vacuum in the tank.

3. The bike will stop running when idling with the kickstand down. It has an angle

sensor that shuts the engine down when the bike is leaned at a

pre-determined angle for more than six seconds. When idling for the two to

three minutes recommended don't use the kickstand or the bike will stall.

4. Always use gasoline with an octane rating of more than 90 octane. The

engine has a high compression ratio and I have found it runs much better with

the higher octane rating.

5. As recommended in the owner's manual you should never even touch the

throttle when starting as it will foul up the pre-set settings in the computer.

I hope these tips will help you. Would appreciate you letting us know the final cause after having your dealer check the bike out. I am very pleased with my 4RT and know you will also once you get by this little problem. :ph34r:

Edited by barcota

3.  The bike will stop running when idling with the kickstand down.  It has an angle

sensor that shuts the engine down when the bike is leaned at a

pre-determined angle for more than six seconds.  When idling for the two to

three minutes recommended don't use the kickstand or the bike will stall.

Wow really? Anybody know what this is for?

It would be a good idea to prevent oil starvation to the valve train if the bike is still running on it's side. Seems a little extreme to have it shut down at such a small angle though.

I haven't seen any of these yet, can't wait to give one a try.

Are they wet sump?

Bucket and shim or rocker valve train?