KTM Freeride

htrdoug

This looks like it just might be a good LDT bike. At the moment there's nothing to beat the Pampera's, Alps and Serrows in this type of event.

Look forward to reading the road tests!

• 6 months later...

Here is a youtube of a guy in Indonesia doing some backyard trials section with the freeride. He comments that it has the same geometry and torque of a trials bike, but is heavy and awkward. Well I guess that's what you get with a 4T, seat and 10" of travel. Plus, since it is street legal is has a ton of emission crap hanging off it too. Its all about trade-offs.

Edited by TrialTrial

I read a review of one in this months TBM and they were very positive about it. Said that it flatters most riders and allows them to ride a lot more terrain than they could on their EXC. They also commented that it is noticeable better than the scorpa t-ride especially in the engine departments.

I cant help but feel that if this takes off it will stop greenlaners or sportman from buying proper enduro bikes. If it is indeed as easy to ride as the claim why would you buy a big a big enduro bike and struggle? It may make the EXC a bike for experts or racers?

It could also develop a class specifically for these bikes designed using C class routes. May even boost the turnout for some clubs? And enable people to have one bike to do enduros and trials rather than two.

Stupid bike good for what? drop the suspension on a exc n stick X11`s on job done. A Honda XR250 sorted in the right hands will do wonders, its the only bike i could ride through the gears and go round corners on the back wheel, great bike. I struggled on a KTM450 exc to keep up with a decent rider on a sorted XR250 on green lanes at speed to.

Yup.

A bloody good trail bike, an XR250. Especially with the button for when you're knackered.

Just not very glamorous I suppose.

I know when I went out laning on my WR450 with a bunch of lads on those and lowered DRZs and old CRMs (all on trials tires except me by the way) I got a riding lesson, and they were all fresh as a daisy at the end.

Stupid bike good for what?

You could have said the same thing about the Gas Gas Pampera, who would ever buy a bike that was too big to be a trials bike, was too small to ride comfortably on the road, needed pre mix and only did 60 miles to a tank of fuel.

Clearly there was a market for those, Gas Gas sold plenty.

Hoever there is one significant difference between the Pampera and the Freeride. The Pampera was cheap at £3000 on the road, even back in 2003. The Freeride is not.

Many Pampera owners bought their bikes and just used them for LDT's, it's hard to justify spending £6K+ on a bike if you are only going to ride it 15 times a year.

Pete

Edited by Pete_Scorpa3

Yup.

A bloody good trail bike, an XR250.

Just not very glamorous I suppose.

Just bought another one after a 8 year break

Loving it & forgot how good they were for the trails

A mint XR400 sold on eBay at the weekend (300kms) sold for