2012 GasGas e-bike

laser1

This is a game changer. It addresses every stick we've been beat with to take away access except erosion and for trials erosion is nowhere near the issue it is for other forms of the sport. This is simply the best opportunity to differentiate trials in the mind of the general public away from the eco-nazi stereotyping that has lumped us in with every highway wheelying idiot and neighborhood midnight motocrosser that has been a curse on us since the Sierra Club and their ilk decided we were public enemy #1. Instead of worrying over no clutch lever we should be shouting from the rooftops. But I fear, like most opportunities for this sport, this too will be squandered in debates about

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or perhaps FIM making a world eBike championship series that could take place in open town centers where the major objections of noise and pollution can't be applied. 100 of these things in the right hands could revolutionize public perception and open venues for gas powered bikes given time.

They are Dan. Not yet a championship but the FIM are pushing events like eco enduro and TTXGP

Then again, double battery energy density and there's no market for gas powered bikes.

It'll happen.

The 2012 zero E-motorcycle has now been released . I think this vid speaks for itself as reagrds what a electric off roader can do, now lets see this package on a trials bike

, there new range of road bikes also looks very interesting and claiming a range of over 100 miles per charge at 80mph

His bike has a clutch (lever).....maybe that's the forthcoming Raga Rep Electric, followed by the Racing Electric no doubt.

I've downloaded the video and played it back in slow motion. It's hard to make out at times but at no point can I see him pulling in that clutch :(

Best of balance.

Neo

What worries me is the face you actually loose power. Imagine when your petrol starts to get low so doesthe power of the bike. What if your doing a section and require the power but yet on doing such a high risk splatter say you come up short due to lack ofpower that you had 20 min ago?

What worries me is the face you actually loose power. Imagine when your petrol starts to get low so doesthe power of the bike. What if your doing a section and require the power but yet on doing such a high risk splatter say you come up short due to lack ofpower that you had 20 min ago?

The loss of power can be managed by the battery management system ... warning and cutting out well before the power is significantly effected.

But what worries me is trying to do splatter without a clutch or a flywheel :wacko::lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

The loss of power can be managed by the battery management system ... warning and cutting out well before the power is significantly effected.

But what worries me is trying to do splatter without a clutch or a flywheel :wacko::lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

Yea you are right there, as even though the lectric motor may have good torque an such, the instant application of stored energy is just not there without some flywheel and clutch action.

Now this may get by on the the non-stop circuit an such, but would be tough on the sporters!

Add to that, what I hear the throttle controllers are stil a big issue, not there yet! Seems conventional potentiometers are lacking here in some way. :rolleyes:

Yes it would also be interesting to know what motor they're using? An AC motor (via a computer controlled invert) can offer the precise control but all that electronics weighs something and takes up space. But I've read somewhere that there's some new technology rare earth magnet DC motors around that could potentially go inside the rear wheel (replacing the spokes) and can pack a punch. And keep the weight low and far back.

Best of balance.

Neo

Seems conventional potentiometers are lacking here in some way. :rolleyes:

Pots? You can't push 30-40 amps through a pot*. Nah, they'll vary the duty cycle using transistors or FETS.

*To be honest I have seen 400A through a "pot" but it was more of a variac than a pot. And it was rather large.

Edited by TooFastTim

The motor in the back wheel would not be any good for loads of reasons ( its ok for riding on the streets but no good for anything off road. A clutch is also not needed but could be mimined using the controller if people really feel the need to have one ( I dis-agree about a elecy motor not having the puch or torque than a gas bike with a clutch ) as long as the motor/controller can cope with it.

hear is another vide from the trials camp of lecy bikes ( this is the sort of vid that gasgas should have put together for there promo vid )

Raga at Milan show:

His bike has a clutch (lever).....maybe that's the forthcoming Raga Rep Electric, followed by the Racing Electric no doubt.

:rolleyes: Ha, it must be hard to ride,Raga was on the flat and it still took a dab from him @ 0.44s :hyper:

I can't believe you guys are mourning the demise of the Pro gearbox/clutch? :rotfl:

Thanks for that Gwhy.

The motor in the back wheel would not be any good for loads of reasons ( its ok for riding on the streets but no good for anything off road.

I'm curious to know what are the reasons are?

Best of balance.

Neo