Is a 4RT suitable for a novice rider ?

taff_d

I fancy a Repsol 4RT for no other reason than I like them, I have been riding trials about 2yrs now and I am always in the last 1/4 of the results on the clubby B/easy course, I currently ride a 2010 250 Gas Gas which I have had to calm down by fitting a low compression head, slow throttle and dropping the front 1 (I now really enjoy riding the bike). I'm changing bikes in the new year and it's between the 4RT and a new Gas Gas. What are your thoughts on a 4RT for a crap rider ?

Edited by Taff_d

Run a nice soft map and maybe down a tooth on the front and I see no drawbacks but I'm biased. Will be a bit heavier than GasGas but very good suspension and build quality.

Post 2009 bikes are better if looking for second hand.

If, as you admit, your not going to be wining anything soon, then it doesn't really matter what bike you have, get the one you really want, because as long as you enjoy riding it, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, it's your money, treat yourself ;-). If you get a Mont Repsol Rep, get the 9T front and a 43T rear sprocket (slows it down nicely), then enjoy. I'm a novice with a Repsol Rep, loving it, have added a flat tank and Mitani Ti header pipe (look on eBay, as occasionally they pop up for sale at a bargain price), you don't need them, but it looks the dogs with them. If you go for the Gasser, then you already know what to expect.

• Like 1

Hi Taff, I am slightly biased as I have a 2012 Montesa Repsol 4RT. I have only just returned to trials having had a 8 year lay off, but also being a club easy route rider, I think I can give my opinion on the 4RT. My last bike before I stopped riding, was a Beta Rev, which was a lovely bike, but obviously the 4RT is a more modern bike, so should be a better bike and it certainly is. When I bought my new Repsol, friends advised me on the gearing, so I got the dealer to change the gearing, with a 9 tooth sprocket on the front and a 43 on the rear. This has lowered the gearing and the bike is really nice and controllable for me, with this setup. Some say the clutch and mapping make the 4RT difficult to ride, but I haven't found this at all. I believe the 2012 model has updated mapping, I can't say whether this 100% true, but I haven't had any issue concerning either. I find the bike really nice to ride and it certainly complements my riding. I have found that I am doing things, that I would never of done, when I last rode and I am really enjoy my riding. The Repsol is a lovely bike, admittitedly, an expensive one, but another thing I like, their fairly rare, so it's nice to be riding something differrent and I like four stroke engines.

Your enjoying your GasGas, so a new Gasser maybe the one for you. The only way you can be sure is to try them, although I know that's not always possible. But if you could make it, BVM are having their yearly test day, on Thursday. I believe, most of the importers will be present, including Pidcock's. (Bear in mind though, if you have a test ride, the gearing is most likely stock, which is quite high).

To answer your question, yes I think a 4RT is suitable for a novice, although changing the gearing maybe advisable. Hope this has helped you.

Thanks for the replys :thumbup:

Can't make the test day stuck out here for another week yet, Pidcocks advertise test rides so I'll try to organise something with them, I also know a couple of people with 4rts so I'll see if I can have a go on theirs as well.

I wouldnt bother going for the repsol rep unless you love the look of it.I got an 06 4rt last year and got stuck into setting it up right for me. new 09 plastics tarted it up nicely. I've tried a few mods and now have found a set up that I like and that i think would suit a novice. I'd recomend keeping the suspension stock, with only minor adjustment on the rebound, both ends, for fine tuning. I tried lift plates on the linkage and didnt think i gained much, so reverted back. On an older bike, like mine, the clutch needs fixing. New plates and the larger master cylinder and ELF etx have given me the best clutch I've ever had. The gearing I agree is best at 9/43, having tried different combinations. I've taken the front restrictor out of the exhaust and left the others in and stuck an after market air filter in. The standard throttle body and map is fine and with the other mods gives a fine power curve for a novice. The bike is smooth and soft at the bottom and and has enough power without being fiery, from there on. Theyre great bikes for personalising and many of the second hand ones have been pampered.

• 3 years later...

My little 5'2" 104lb daughter rode 06 montesa in the nationals and did pretty good then  she was sponsored and rode a 250 sherco until tearing out ACL  Montesa is a gas a go bike very tough does weigh 164lb with fuel

I think it great for all levels and it seems to last longer than the rest too  

Hi Taff, I've just gone from numerous 2 strokes, to a 2015 standard 260 RT which I pick up tmrw.

It says in the spec details that there is a 41 tooth rear fitted as standard which I assume is to lower the gearing.

Let me know if your changes help.

I've been riding on and off for the past couple of years after a 30 year lay off, I'm still way below average but now looking forward to less bike maintenance and more practice time , it's just such a fantastic sport .

Dave.

If anyone else can give advice on gearing please feel free to help.

Hi Taff, I've just gone from numerous 2 strokes, to a 2015 standard 260 RT which I pick up tmrw.

It says in the spec details that there is a 41 tooth rear fitted as standard which I assume is to lower the gearing.

I've been riding on and off for the past couple of years after a 30 year lay off, I'm still way below average but now looking forward to less bike maintenance and more practice time , it's just such a fantastic sport .

Dave.

9 on the front and possibly 42 on the back depending on what your riding. The standard gearing will feel very fast and will require over use of the clutch to slow things down. Make sure the tickover is high enough, always use ELF HTX in the clutch and swap the filter for a Jitsie. I change my engine oil every two months and the filter every 4 months, I did change the engine oil every month to start with from new and within the first ten hours of initial use.

Dave.

Std gearing was very very fast thought I was road racing again

• Like 1