Is a 4RT suitable for a novice rider ?

taff_d

Last weekend I helped step up a long lap trial and ended up doing a bit of road work, 9-42 is bloody useless on the road way to high geared, I've put it back to 9-41 to ride the trial this weekend.

Erm 9/41 is higher geared than 9/42.......

1 down on the back is lower in my book ?

to slow it down you put a bigger rear sprocket on or a smaller front sprocket on, so 9 / 42 is lower than 10 /42, it's approx equal to 10 / 47

9 / 41 is approx equal to 10 / 45

I've used a 4rt with both 9 / 41 & 9 / 42 on. Either makes it is easier to ride a 4rt without using a clutch than say riding at 10 / 42.

Edited by perce
  • Like 1

Don't see the issues with the tick over?

1800rpm does sound high admittedly when the bike is on the stand, but when the bike is ridden this isn't a problem, in fact it pushes on no more than any other trials bike I've ridden.

At 1800 the 4rt is only firing at 900 times per minute, which is the same as a 2 stroke idling at 900rpm.

Edited by duggan
  • Like 2

You`ve got a 450 KT. That`s a rare bird.

What is KT?

By the way we are talking trials.

Yes, we are.

If idle in 1st on the 4rt is too fast I pull in the clutch.

Trials bikes should have a decent low RPM

Why? 1800rpm works better.

And this is a thread about novice riders.

Novice riders don't have clutches?

Don't see the issues with the tick over?

1800rpm does sound high admittedly when the bike is on the stand, but when the bike is ridden this isn't a problem, in fact it pushes on no more than any other trials bike I've ridden.

At 1800 the 4rt is only firing at 900 times per minute, which is the same as a 2 stroke idling at 900rpm.

to slow it down you put a bigger rear sprocket on or a smaller front sprocket on, so 9 / 42 is lower than 10 /42, it's approx equal to 10 / 47

9 / 41 is approx equal to 10 / 45

I've used a 4rt with both 9 / 41 and 9 / 42 on. Either makes it is easier to ride a 4rt without using a clutch than say riding at 10 / 42.

Irrespective of firing strokes a 4RT at 1800 rpm will be travelling twice as fast as 2T(or 4T) at 900 rpm !

In regard to gearing, Perce has much more experience than me, but got to say I find my '14 RR 260 really good with standard 10/41 gearing, the motor is much smoother than my '06 and between clutch and the higher gearing I find the bike grips better and doesn't break traction as easily as my '06 which I did have on 10/43.

Is the reason that so many of the UK riders find it difficult to find grip with the 4RT because they are on low gearing?

• Like 2

Is the reason that so many of the UK riders find it difficult to find grip with the 4RT because they are on low gearing?

Nope, talking from the rock less and sparce trials land of the Midland Centre low gearing is a must as many of our sections are very tight and usually involve from nothing hill climbs and cambers requiring much slower riding than more open type sections. I can run standard gearing fine of many sections but find lowering it gives you much more options as the 4rt will still deal with most sections in 1st gear regardless. The grip issue seems to be the very different way a 4rt grips than a 2 stroke and it often p****s down with rain in the UK the night before a trial.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a 9-44 on my 2000 Sherco 2.0 and love it.  I'd say I'm an advanced beginner or possibly an intermediate rider preferring tight technical sections (no-stop rules).  Some say 9-42 and some say 9-43 for the new 4RT.  Knowing my history, should I get the 9-43 instead of the 9-42?  This is my first 4T trials bike and I haven't ridden it yet.

Thanks.