IRIS Gold chain on a 4RT

jj65

Just bought an IRIS 520 gold chain for my 4RT, fitted it this morning and have found that the rivets are snagging on the chain guard and the tensioner rubber. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but I would imagine I'll be ending up needing a new guard and tensioner rubber pretty soon with this situation. I'm not particularly happy about this, as obviously it's not a problem with the original chain. Should I be returning the chain and asking for one that doesn't do this, am I entitled to do this, even though i have fitted it to my bike (not used) Do any other makes of chain do the same thing ?

What seems strange to me, is that IRIS sponsor the Montesa Team, so you would have thought this wouldn't be an issue on the 4RT !!!

spend a touch more, (Renthal R1 chain), fantastic quality

But they are a touch wider again, mine was 1mm wider, and 3-4mm higher per link, than the Iris, dident notice it rubbing on the chain block, but mine was well used

Edited by clay

Take heed of the advice on here and get rid, I had a 2 trial old Iris snap on my TY250 mono half way up an 8ft waterfall, not a nice experience coming back down with no engine braking let me tell you. I was fortunate enough to avoid injury and damage to the bike (Crankcase protector fitted) but vowed NEVER to use IRIS again.

Spend the extra and get a decent chain.

+1 here for the 'IRIS chains are sewage' club.

Ok, that was just my opinion, here are the facts which shaped my opinion:

Chain was 3 months old (which as others will confirm, means; I used it twice-ish :icon_salut: ..I don't get out much y'nah:( ).

Chain snapped/Flywheel cover trashed/Clutch slave cylinder trashed/Boot sliced/Ankle sore/lesson learned.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but only really stoooopid people fail to learn from their own mistakes, I won't be buying an IRIS again......cue some smart 4r5e saying ''but it's good enough for Raga''..etc..

+1 here for the 'IRIS chains are sewage' club.

Ok, that was just my opinion, here are the facts which shaped my opinion:

Chain was 3 months old (which as others will confirm, means; I used it twice-ish :icon_salut: ..I don't get out much y'nah:( ).

Chain snapped/Flywheel cover trashed/Clutch slave cylinder trashed/Boot sliced/Ankle sore/lesson learned.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but only really stoooopid people fail to learn from their own mistakes, I won't be buying an IRIS again......cue some smart 4r5e saying ''but it's good enough for Raga''..etc..

They're good enough for Raga et al 'cos they only use them once and then sling em in the bin...fact. I would never buy one for the same reasons given on this thread...