Bike prices - are we being ripped off

shedco

That Randunne woould be a hulluva bike if it had a TY 175 motor attached! That chineese made lump in there really puts me off, including lectric ticker. What a joke!

Oh yes, I like the bike! There should be more of this design, with proper powerplsnt! As that little 125 is crap! :rolleyes:

there are a number of factors on bike prices .

the pound lost strenghth against the euro.

the randeneur motor and other parts are made in china. lower cost's.

metal and raw material cost's went up in a big way.

TAX AND VAT and other hidden cost's,the people robbing you are the european govements and our own govement,the importers will earn a bit but you can bet the tax man has the biggest chunk.just think most modern bikes have over

well in my trade uk import duty 30%

add on 48.5 % euro anti dumping duty and then 20% vat on top= way too much tax,

people think retailers/importers are making a fortune,i only wish.

while i'm not sure how much duty is paid on motorcycles you can bet the goverment is getting more than a fair share.

we do mid range cycles and cost have gone up everywhere container freight etc and i expect motor cycle industry will have similar issues.

Well then enjoy your Xispa. Seriously the importers have a tiny profit margin if any at all. As for the factories, producing such complicated machines in such small numbers with the complicated regulations for motor vehicles and dealing with suppliers, some of whom are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy themselves (think AJP and remember the Marzocchi scare) and you really have to wonder why anybody makes or sells trials bikes in the first place.

It seems this topic has degenerated into chaos as usual. You would have thought it in the interests of new bike buyers to know exatly what they are getting for thier money and (at least have an idea of)how that money is shared out between manufacturers ,importers, retailers taxes etc. We all have opinions (possibly based on first hand experience of these things that matter to us) however to answer the original question requires accurate information. My opinion based on long experience (not particular to trials bikes)is that the cost of any product bears little or no relation to the final sale price. The seller asks for what he thinks the buyer will pay. How he asseses this will be from first hand experience, product promotion/response and watching competitors in the same market place. As we are talking specifically here about a leisure product where testorerone ,brand affinity /loyalty and divided opinion are important factors for the seller to fix his price it seems safe to assume from this forum that the seller in this case has us well organised. Reading this back it sounds like textbook marketing theory which is effectivly tell them what they want show them what they want tell them what it's worth..repeat ad infinitum.

I dont agree with Paul W, infact some of what he said was piffle.

Oh really! "Piffle" you say. and i bet you eat own brand kornflakes, and drink cola, wear armarni and navy?

Its a lifestyle choice, if you want to go through life looking for the cheaper option , fine, but dont "piffle" my remarks. :guinness:

if there was a market for "club" bikes, a heavier less spec'd budget bike, would you buy one? i think not. because the bloke your competing against will buy the best that money can buy and beat you on sunday, then guess what, out you go and spend the money that you should have spent in the first place to get on equal machinery terms.

I don't Agree with you, there is simply not an option for a good less spec'd budget bike, i was hoping Scorp-co would fill this gap with it's newest bike, not everyone is as naive as to think that the newest spec bike will yield better result's.

I'm a tea and porridge man :kerstsmiley:

Answer: no! Heres a reply I made in another thread:

Just had a look at the average UK salaries (UK salaries)

1980-GBP7585. 2009 GBP37,580

AFAIR in 1980 a trials bike would hit you about GBP1,000 or about 12.5% of your annual income. Now we have GBP5000/GBP37000 or 13%. So trials bikes are about the same price in hours worked as they were 30 years ago.

Both GasGas and Sherco were building the "econo" models a while back, had the same motors with a bit less stuff and I think they were a true bargain for a new bike. Cost similar to that Randunne, with a real motor!

Obviously it can be done! :thumbup:

Yea the scorpa was such a success the company went pop

The 125 didn't bust them, if it did Gas Gas wouldn't be entering the market. They never had a mountain of unsold 125s, the 200s sold well and hold their values s/hand. They were caught up in a world recession obviously a weaker player.

That crap 125...

Edited by bo drinker

Both GasGas and Sherco were building the "econo" models a while back, had the same motors with a bit less stuff and I think they were a true bargain for a new bike. Cost similar to that Randunne, with a real motor!

Obviously it can be done! :thumbup:

My guess is that the Randonne may soon come with a larger engine....

Jon