Guess The Bike From These Pics?

reginald

Hey we are not that daft in the Northern Hemisphere and I would question your knowledge in the Southern Hemisphere?

Looking at the photo's I would say its a YAMAHA :moon:

Ummm i know us convicts aren't real clever but its higly likely the bits in the photo were stitched together in the Mother Country.

It certainly looks Millerish but, if it is, then the bit about having been in storage must be correct as it doesn't seem to have cracked downtubes at the end of the gussets.

How much riding did it take to break those frames? I'm trying to decide if I should do some reinforcement before it gets replated.

If you are concerned enough to ask about frame breakage, and are trying to decide about reinvorcement then I suggest you should reinforce the parts you are concerned about.

Yes, but first I need to know which parts of the frame I should be concerned about!

Its a Mick Whitlock frame, for a "mini Whitehawk" slightly smaller than the full sized Whitehawk, you can tell by the front down tubes that have a slight bend in them, the full size bikes had straight tubes, the frame is made from Reynolds 531 tubing,

Yes, but first I need to know which parts of the frame I should be concerned about!

Sorry for not getting back to you FUF but I have been too busy to poke about on TC too deeply of late so had not seen your post. The Miller frames crack round the front downtubes just at the end of the gusset. Whether this is bad design or poor material I don't know but, despite what the sticker on the headstock says, the downtubes on my Miller frame are not made of 531. Maybe it's just the headstock that's 531, crafty marketing!

My Miller frame also has a round top tube so the one shown is probably not a Miller - as somebody said above, a Whitehawk.

Edited by 2/4

Further to my previous post, Whitlock frames have been known to have porblems with cracking, i had a "mini" that had been repaird on the front down tubes where they meet the gusset, Whitlock also made the frame for the Suzuki Beamish this to suffers from cracking around the headstock

As for numbers made, Whitlock did not number his frames, so there is some debate how many he made,i think there are more than six, the mini was made as the next step up from the ty80 and designed for youth riders who found the full size bike to big.

Whitlock made 4 models of Whitehawk the 80 (white tank), mini 175 (blue tank).standard 175 (red tank), and a 200 (white tank) all the frames were brazed