New To Trials What Can A 1976 Ty 175 Handle?

scmbud

Hi iv never rode a trials bi,e but have been dirtbiking seince I was little. Im about to pick up 1976 ty 175 and was wondering what there capable of handeling. Oviously this somthing Im going to have to figure out by riding it but I dont want to brake the old girl the first day out. Most of the riding im going to be doing is real steep rocky and technical but theres a couple spots Im concerned about like some 2 to 3 foot ledges. Will she be cool if I huck it off or should I go slow and drop the nose down befor letting the ass falow. How about going back up can these bikes get up a 2 3 foot ledge. Pleas fill me in thanks.

TY175 frames distort and the footpegs bend down and the swingarm may crack too if an adult-sized person does repeated pancake or rear wheel landings from even only 3 feet high to flat ground.

As for poor old Handel, he'll be Bach in a minuet

Jumping up 3 foot ledges is a doddle but if you deliberately overjump the ledge and land on the rear wheel repeatedly, you will crack the swingarm

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2

The thing about Trials is it's all about control,you will want to place your bike exactly where you want it,If you just "huck" of of ledges then you aren't learning to control your bike.There will come a time after you acquire a basic competence level that you'll able to pinpoint your landing exactly so to set yourself up for the next obstacle. Then the trials mentality will start carrying over to the remainder of your life,For Example,if you are painting a window frame you'll keep your hand in perfect control,eliminating the need to mask off what you don't want to paint. Or let's say you want to communicate with some one on the Internet,You might consider SPELL CHECK so that your ideas come across intelligently...

OK i thought we were not supposed to be using text speak on TC then again total gibberish seems to be acceptable on the Bultaco forum for one poster at least so who knows :popcorn:

To be honest when i first read the post i thought it was a wind up, after i had it translated that is :chairfall: , however giving the poster the benefit of the doubt what you have to remember is horses for courses. Bikes from the 70's were "designed" to cope with the sections we rode in the 70's. The sort of stuff the poster is talking about will destroy the poor old TY in seconds. If that sort of thing is what he wants to ride then get a bike capable of that sort of riding but that means a much more modern bike from 2000 onwards. Then again perhaps an Enduro bike would be more his thing?

Re the spelling and grammar it's amazing how we seem to get many more understandable posts from countries whose first language is NOT English than we do from those whose language is "supposed" to be English with the exception of down under of course :xmas:

TY 175's are great bikes and great fun. When I was a youngster I would jump the bike off the top of a hill and land about halfway down. (hill looked huge to me at that age) older brother would land at the bottom. so the landing was angled on the hill, I assume not as much stress as landing flat. We never cracked swing arms that I know of. Dad did the maintenance. I did bust a foot peg mount on the TY80 I had before the TY175.

But you must bear in mind like the other guys have said, The twinshock bikes were not designed for the more "extreme" steps and ledges that the post 2000 bikes will do with ease. Also you probably already know that the harder you ride a bike, the more stuff you will need to fix later.

The motor is about bulletproof, and they are a good handling bike. Check out the twinshock and video forums on here or search Youtube and see some videos of others riding twinshocks and you should get an idea of what those bikes can handle. (one tip to remember if you watch "world round" twinshock vids, those guys were/are very very good riders) You may be able to find a post 2000 water cooled mono in decent shape for close to the same $ as that TY175. I don't know about prices and availability in your area.

I also think scmbud being new to trials was asking a legitimate question of technique " Will she be cool if I huck it off or should I go slow and drop the nose down before letting the ass follow?" I think hucking it off the step would put great stress on the suspension and swing arm like the previous guys have stated. Depending on the ledge/step letting the front tire drop down first may have you going over the bars if the front wheel "tucks" under. So if you go the route of dropping the front tire first keep your butt as far back on the rear fender as possible, so your weight does not carry you over the handle bars when the front tire hits the ground.

As for my comment on spelling, it was made partly for humor (suck them in with kindness and then get them on grammar. I have an odd sense of humor) and partly because I was able to decipher it pretty quickly, I also have seen posts from other countries that I had to read 3 times or more to understand because it read like it was sent through google translate to get it into English. I agree that text speak is banned from TC, but there is the occasional "fat finger" typing that gives bad spelling.

• Like 1

But you must bear in mind like the other guys have said, The twinshock bikes were not designed for the more "extreme" steps and ledges that the post 2000 bikes will do with ease. Also you probably already know that the harder you ride a bike, the more stuff you will need to fix later.

Really ?/

2009 Gas Gas Txt Pro 280 Cracked Frame

post-6674-0-06079900-1354365620_thumb.jpg

http://www.trialscen...ing-frame-this/

http://www.trialscen...-frame-problem/

Edited by b40rt

I believe if you are going to ride hard then proper maintenance and setup are important,tight motor mount bolts are critical for frame integrity,and set your suspension up to eliminate hard bottoming.If you bottom with a clank then there is energy left over that has to got somewhere,and that somewhere is wheel and frame flex and possible failure. Enough cycles of this and failure is inevitable.But stiff suspension may mean less traction at other times,so careful compromise is necessary.

Ha, you guys are funny. Thanks for the information though. I may have exagerated a little about hucking it, Im not exactly gonna be launching her by any means but I will see a lot of steep drops with harsh transitions and stuff of the sort. Not to mention endless fallen trees to bounce over. This things a goat though It been stormy here the last two days and I hit this gnarly hillclimb, I made it as far in the wet as I have on my 2008 crf 250 in the dry.

I agree with the cat above my I think if I keep her well maintained shell handel whatever I through at her. I rode her for 2 days and got a feel for the bike and got her all dialed. New brake pads, fork oil levers got rid of the air box and auto lube system Just did a lot of basic stuff. Then earleyer today I pulled the cylinder off and found that the top need to be rebuilt, So... I stripped her to the frame and im gonna get every thing polished and painted get some new bolts here and there clean out all the vintage 1976 grease and sheel be good as new and looking sexy too. Can somebody let me know what to mix the fule at I was given an unsure answer of 32 to 1 from the original owner. - Peace