Castrol R ?

dixie

Is there any reason "NOT" to use castrol R in a unit motor with a fiber clutch, I have heard loads of different conflicting thoughts.

Does anyone actually use it, It will be in a Honda single ?????

like the smell of R cos it invokes memories of Vincents, Velos and my old T120R which is how I learnt that it gums up yer motor unless it's getting as hot as a racing bike would. R as a lubricant was ok in it's day which lets not forget was back when multigrades weren't common but is now an anachronism, bit like meself before anybody chips in, and apart from the smell cant see why anyone would want to use it. So what smell do you mean Ross ? LOL.

Edited by old trials fanatic
  • Like 1

I've used 'R' in my pre '60 race bike and it's main advantage, apart from excellent lubricity, it that it will 'gum' a piston into a bore at the point of seizure and can prevent metal to metal micro welds forming that causes terminal damage. Modern oils are much better for a cool running trials motor.

One major disadvantage is that it is very hygroscopic and absorbed water can cause corrosion on bearing surfaces unless it's drained after each meeting.

Mine is 'total loss' motor and the oil goes into a catch tank anyway, so it's not much of a problem.

I love the stuff (Morris oils MLR - their version of 'R') but my advice for your application would be to avoid ;)

Personal choice i know , after all it's your bike , but my self i wouldn't use it for two reasons beside the one's already stated . Firstly i think Honda recomend you don't use it in any of thier four stroke engines( i recollect they call it an aditive ) and the other the last bike i ran that stuff in was a KX125 A3 which despite being only four meetings old seizd up . Rings gummed up . Ran on Putoline after that with no problems .

Agree though that castrol 247 is brill for two stroke use . But the way your stating in your message ,are you using it for motor oil,as you state that would it have an adverse effect on you clutch .

Ted

Sorry just one thing to add , i ran 247 in my Aprilia RSVR 250 rotary disc valve racing bike for three seasons with 100% cylinder reliabillity . Seems to put a nice coating on everything . To run that as motor oil , or cazzy R could result in a bit of a mess in a wet sump motor. Have you checked out Castrols web site ? Or for that matter ,ring them .

Edited by shyted

just re re-iterate some comments already made.

Oils have moved a huge way since Castrol R was the vogue (30-40 years ago). I'm assuming that you're considering using it in a 4T.

some reasons:-

• Have you ever had to strip and clean a motor run on Castrol R? It leaves a coating of varnish or gum on hot components; valves, exhaust headers; piston skirts;cyl-heads etc.
  • Its a straight grade oil rather than a multi-grade (multi-viscocity) meaning it isnt as versatile temperature wise. However this is suitable for many classic engines.
  • It comes from a time when de-coking an engine was common place. Modern semi and full synthetics are very low ash producing.
  • Modern oils are lower smoke and lower odour.

However, one plus is it's a very high load bearing oil. It took a while for synthetics to match this, but even cheaper oils are now there.

Dom

• Like 1

My Tiger cub, 3ta, 5ta and T100, all ran/run on it, the only time I change it is when it burns (takes on a sooty colour).

Have never really seen the gummed up mess, some of you talk about.

My concern was more with clutch performance issues. I LOVE THE SMELL!!!!!!

Does the Honda share its engine / gearbox oil?

If you like the smell, just put a tablespoon full of it in every gallon of petrol, tell yourself you are adding an upper cylinder lubricant and enjoy the odour. Won't do any harm that way.

• Like 1