Body Armour (Or Not?)

tim999

Hi All

I'm after a bit of advice please.

Being new to Trials at the age of 44, I was wondering what your thoughts were about personal protection in the form of Body Armour, knee braces etc.

I've got a cracking pair of trials boots and helmet, clothing etc but I was thinking of some form of body protection from rocks etc.

Whilst learning in a mates field I came off and really winded myself so was fearing the worst for future ventures when I become more experienced and adventurous.

Other than the obvious benefit of added protection do you find it cumbersome and a little 'over the top' for Trials? I'd be interested in your thoughts and recommendations for make, model etc for any Body Armour you may use.

Thanks very much, regards Tim

• Like 1

I would definitely go for knee protectors and gloves, maybe elbow pads

Instead of kneed braces get advice from a physiotherapist or sports trainer about exercises that will strengthen knee muscles and stabilize your knee joints.

In many years trials, mx and grasstrack I have never had an accident or injury that would have been lessened by body armour.

shin protection, do you mean boots?

I don't know anyone that actually uses knee protectors at our clubs, maybe that's a Kent thing as we don't have rocks down here

I personally never ride without gloves, but lots do.

TLTEL

Yea, well if you dun have rocks it is not such a deal, but I have used small(youth) stylt MX shin/knee guards that tuck into top of boots for years. Same with the forearm/ elbow guards.

Were it not for these I would prolly have no knee caps! Even the little spill on some of the ragged granite we ride at times will remove large chunks of body parts!

None of that helped my buttox the time I slid off on a pointy rock! Had a black and purple ass cheek for over a month!

shin protection, do you mean boots?

I don't know anyone that actually uses knee protectors at our clubs, maybe that's a Kent thing as we don't have rocks down here

I personally never ride without gloves, but lots do.

TLTEL

Depends how long your boots are, taller riders boots stop well short of the knees.

You might not have rocks, but you can really hurt yourself hitting the footrest.

I wear knee pads that include shin guards that reach just below the top of my boots. I also wear a hydration pack on my back (water and cushion for falls) and do not have hard things like tools on my body. I wear elbow pads with wrist guards. Gloves and of course, a good helmet.

I must admit that I have used them all to good effect multiple times. Fortunately I have never broken any bones but I sure have gotten lots of bruises. Probably 70% of them were from hard contact with parts of the bike.

I ask myself "Can I NOT go to work on Monday because I didn't protect myself over the weekend?" and act accordingly.

Also a beginner, after a nasty fall I invested in some raceface elbow pads which also protect the fore arm and some raceface knee pads which cover the knee (obviously) but also meet the top of my boots.

I didn't feel restricted with them on, but felt a lot more confident.

One of the things you have to master whilst learning to ride is how to fall off without hurting yourself, until that skill is attained, my advise is to wear protection.

• Like 1

I'm also a beginner, 34 so past the bouncing years and suffering from several old injuries but far from decrepit. I bought a mesh top thing with elbow, forearm and shoulder pads, back protector and chest plates. Movement wasn't as restricted as it looked and although I looked like a gimp I could live with it, the problem was overheating and it was only 12C.

I'm now down to just knee and hip armour in a pair of kevlar lined road bike trousers. I had my first decent fall on Friday (flipped it on a hill and landed in rocks under bike) and I'm considering putting the armour back on, at least briefly for first attempts at things.

Thanks everyone, some useful thoughts and suggestions for me to ponder.

I always use a decent helmet (Hebo Zone 3) and gloves and have invested in some proper Sidi Trials Boots (only really because I was used to the comfort of Sidi when I had road boots for the R1).

I have looked on eBay for ideas and quite like the look of the EVS RS8 knee protection. I've looked at most things from individual protectors for arms, legs, back etc. as well as the mesh type with built-in protection and back protector. There's just so much choice it's almost confusing beyond belief.

I agree with the 'confidence' that protection can give you (even if it's all in the mind). I'm also mindful that ill-fitting equipment can be as dangerous as not wearing the stuff.

I'm hoping to attend my first trial on the 8th December with Mansfield Maun club so I've got a bit of time to make a final decision. Either way, I think it might be the white or yellow route I attempt first. I've only been practicing in a mate's field with some off-cuts of logs (I'm going over stuff about one to two feet high at the moment) and would prefer to enjoy my first trial instead of scaring myself stupid. It's quite ironic that 180mph on a race-prepped R1 didn't phase me at all, but going over a two foot log at less than walking pace appears like a mountain to me at the moment :shutup:

One of the things you have to master whilst learning to ride is how to fall off without hurting yourself, until that skill is attained, my advise is to wear protection.

This quote from 'ourian' is a really valid comment. When walking a section I look for bail out points on obstacles. For example, if there's a tough incline I will look places I would rather fall (to miss a sticking up tree stump for example). Also, try and bail out while you are still in control of the bike, on a incline don't wait until the front wheel is 4 feet off the deck and you're hanging off the back (you'll be getting a five by this stage anyway), bail while both wheels are on the ground, lean the bike over and dig the bars into the ground and slide down the hill on your a*** rather than the other option of landing on your head closely followed by bike...

Same applies on most obstacles really. Also better to get over/up/down an obstacle and sort your composure out once it's cleared, i.e. with inclines, get enough momentum to get up it with some to spare and if you need a dab at the top to make a gate so be it! Better than a 5 with the bike on top of you...

Finally, don't be to precious about your bike (easier said than done) be prepared to jump clear and let the bike tumble. Levers are cheap, cable tie your back mudguard on, that's the bits that normally break otherwise bikes are fairly robust to "clubmen" off's!

Edited by joeninety
  • Like 1

for me i have to wear my cti knee braces, i've got torn acl's both knees. braces were cheaper than surgery. can't miss work for such an extended time. falling is an art form unto itself, i'm better at it than riding. falling is part of the game, trials usually doesn't pose an injury problem like the go fast sports. training for sports is about injury prevention as much as it is for your ability to compete. workout, stretch and ride according to your skill level. pads only really stop bruises, cuts that sort of thing. i have a high tolerance for pain and i'm not afraid of scares. so i wear gloves, t-shirt, pants, knee braces and boots. i got a huge cut / scare from one of those crazy trees they grow in the austin, tx area. i just brushed a branch and that succor tore a gash in my arm. you can't protect everything so learn where you fall and wear what you feel comfy with.

my motto from my racing days and advice to racers is this "dress for the crash, it's gonna happen eventually"

rob

This quote from 'ourian' is a really valid comment.

Finally, don't be to precious about your bike (easier said than done) be prepared to jump clear and let the bike tumble. Levers are cheap, cable tie your back mudguard on, that's the bits that normally break otherwise bikes are fairly robust to "clubmen" off's!

The quote was based on a bit of advice I received when first starting out.

After giving me some encouragement and a few tips, an experienced member of the ESTC (Jim I think his name was) said to me "have confidence in your bike, it is capable of far more than you are" and "now go practice falling off".

As joeninety has said don't worry about your bike to much, protect yourself first and worry about the bike after.